Today "Mr.Reddy" turned One. And the Odo reads just above 21K Km
So what do i think about the car after a year on over 21K of driving? Well... Its good to have a practical car if you don't want to be worried about each and every little niggle that might crop up once in a while.
The Figo has had its own little niggles in the highly irritating squeaks that was ultimately solved by a DIY; the minor rattles that keep coming up and disappearing once in a while; the brakes that scare you off with the metal grinding sound that ford is yet to find out a solution or at least they have not passed it on to me; the two scary instances where the car just shut down on its own and i thought it was just a human error in using the clutch until Jayded put it up here; the pathetic headlights that has been solved with the addition of Fog Lamps and the White Streak Kit and the rear windows that kept rolling down on their own solved by changing the posture of the winder lever. But in between all these small things i enjoy the experience of driving and owning the Figo. There is an unexplainable peace of mind that i experience probably since i know that most of these things can be sorted out quite easily if i really care so much about these things. I'm not sure how many of you would understand what i mean. Probably those who have owned a FIAT would!
I remember a line from one of the best reviews i have read bout the Figo. It goes something like this. "The Figo is more like Boman Irani. You wont probably go for a movie just because he is there in it. But once you watch the movie you would surely go home with an impression about him." There are quite a few qualities that make this car a winner.
- The Space Ford has been able to pack into a hatch.
- The very close to perfect balance in ride and handling.
- The Steering Feed back.
- The Visibility all around from the drivers seat.
- The Excellent equipment level that makes the car look even more VFM.
The TDCi engine has sort of a complex equation in the Figo. Though it looses in terms of noise levels, refinement, performance at higher rpms, it wins hands down in terms of the close to zero turbo lag and the reliability it has been able to demonstrate during its life in the Fiesta engine bays. Its really the TDCi engine that makes the Figo "Hot Selling". But if at all something is really missing in the Figo, its a more refined and better performing engine.
While making a buy decision the Figo makes a very strong case due to the VFM equation. But there are just a few down sides to this. The Plastics age pretty faster than you would expect them to.
Here is how my door pads look within a year.
And here is how they look after a polishing job.
Here is the dash after the polish job the A.S.S did for free during my third service. Notice small patches where the guy did not apply the liquid.
Our Fusion has aged far more graciously. But then she costed us much more INR too. And that's why fast ageing plastics might not really matter when you get almost everything you could ever ask for in a hatch at such a smart price!!
If you are looking for a luxurious feel you should be looking elsewhere. If you are looking for sheer performance you should be looking elsewhere. If you are looking for something that has road presence you should be looking elsewhere.
As i always say. The Figo is not the best in any area as such. But ask it to do anything that you expect a hatch to do and it would do it in an above average manner.
A note to all Prospective Buyer:
- Agreed that the Exi is sheer VFM. But if you can somehow spare a little more money do buy atleast the Zxi. You would surely appreciate the rear wipers on a rainy drive on the highway. And the light in the boot could make life easier many a times.
- If you do highway drives in the night please install the Fog lamps and the white streak kit at bare minimum.
- If you experience any issues make a post on their facebook wall. They are responsive to posts there.
- Make sure that you get the extended warranty. With a Ford you never know when it might come handy.
- Most of the minor rattles / extra sounds would settle down on its own. Please ensure that the A.S.S guys fiddle around with your car only to the bare minimum that is necessary.
Really hoping to have a happy long term ownership with the REAL NO NONSENSE FORD.