• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: East By North-East - My Blue Diamond Did It Fast

PetrolPowered+DieselDriven

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      3rd trip with XUV and 4th trip with Nexon - there isn't a lot of difference in mileage. 14.45 an 15 are very comparable to each other, isn't it?

Also, the time taken with XUV was shorter with very good avg speed. Was it due to better roads that time?
      Yes. Mizoram roads were the worst. Assam roads were bad. The best roads ended with Meghalaya. Huge craters, pits and potholes started in AS well before entering MZ and continued all our way to Aizawl, that too in pitch dark. The worst roads continued in our Aizawl>Champhai>Aizawl and Aizawl>Agartala. We got a break from the bad roads only after entering Tripura. Similarly, the bad roads continued to haunt us at Patharganj and Karimganj in AS. Only after entering ML, we got a respite from the bad roads. The average speeds recorded in MZ is worse than the ones recorded by my erstwhile Linea during Leh>Srinagar drive in 2012 [29 kmph] and former XUV 500 during Leh>Sonamarg in 2017 [36 kmph].

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LehAvSpeed.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	234886

Name:  LehAvSpeed2.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  207.9 KB

The details are here and there,
      MY HIGHWAY CRUISERS: TATA NEXON MOROCCAN BLUE DT XZA+ D [6 JULY 2018] . THUNDERBIRD 500 TWILIGHT [15 APRIL 2013]

Awesome

24/25 JAN 2019

We had a nice, filling buffet breakfast at Ginger Guwahati. Idlies were one of the best and super soft. We were served with dosa too. The main advantage of having a filling breakfast was, we can even skip lunch and/or dinner en route in the absence of good eateries, so that we could manage with biscuits, chikkies and nuts.

We left Ginger Guwahati at 8:15 am on 24/01/2019. Blue Diamond had a tankful on the previous day while returning from Mizoram House, GS Road, Guwahati after obtaining the inner line permits [ILP]. During my stay at Ginger Guwahati, I had tried in vain to contact Govt Tourist Lodge, Chaltlang at Aizawl by my/wife's mobile and landline for reserving our accommodation. The lines were out of order, it seemed. I should have booked accommodation at some other hotel. I didn't do that as I thought we could get the room after reaching Aizawl. A big mistake.

I enjoyed the beautiful 4-laned NH from Guwahati to Shillong, but we bypassed Shillong near Umiam [Barapani] Lake. Then, the 4-laned NH turned into 2-laned one. This decent two lane NH continued. On our way, I stopped at many places to call Govt Tourist Lodge, but in vain. I wasted more than half hour for that. We were guided by Google Maps through Android Auto, which began to disconnect frequently for the reasons best known to itself. Then, I switched over to my NaviMaps, which decided to take me via Jowai>Hailakandi>Lala, which totally avoided Silchar. At Lala, NaviMaps first wanted me to take the bypass, which I did. But, suddenly, I found that the road was closed due to works in progress. I took the diversion and went into the village. Then, my date with the worst roads started until we reached Aizawl.

The road turned from bad to worse and from potholes to craters, that too in pitch dark. Loaded HTV and LCV coming zig zag in the opposite direction to avoid these hurdles. Dust came as bonus in dark.

After entering MZ, crossed a check-post, where I submitted ILP. One cop getting out of bed, came and inspected the documents. He wanted to know the duration of my stay. Instead of saying three days, I told him 'upto 30th'. He misunderstood it as '38th'! He started lecturing me that there were no 38 days in a month! I repeated, '30th not 38th'. He decided to continue his lecture. 'No..no..no 38 days in any month'. I did not enjoy this comedy, that too, after driving on the worst road for many km. I simply told him 'three nights including tonight'. 'Oh..then it's ok' said the cop. Then, he signalled his junior, who signed and stamped ILP and returned them to me.

We crossed Kolasib, where we could have stayed in another Govt Tourist Lodge, but we continued towards Aizawl, still 80 km away, another mistake. We reached Aizawl at 10:30 pm, with all the shops and establishments closed. I had set Chaltlang Tourist Lodge in NaviMaps. We were guided on a narrow, steep road and the road became further narrow. Behind me there was a Santro following. I guessed NaviMaps was taking me to nowhere. So, I stopped and enquired with the gentleman in Santro. As I expected, that was not the way to my destination. He took out a paper and drew a map and explained the route. But, that involved going reverse. He smilingly obliged and reversed and helped me reverse too! Another gentleman, who wanted to take out his Royal Enfield Classic was also waiting for the way! I profusely thanked them and reached Govt Tourist Lodge with the gates locked. I parked Blue Diamond near the gate, opened another wicket gate, went inside and gave a shout out. One person came out of his deep slumber and informed that the hotel was full and no rooms were available. He suggested Regency and gave phone number. I came out and called Regency. That was also full.Then, he recommended Florina. So, drove there, where I was told only suites were available, costing ₹ 7,500 plus taxes. Then, he suggested Royal. While searching for Royal after midnight, I bumped into two boys returning from their shift at KFC. Immediately, they started searching for hotels using their phones! When I told them to guide me to Royal and I would manage the rest, so that they could go home, they said, 'nothing doing. We will get a hotel room for you then only we will go!'. By that time, we were almost decided to sleep in the car for that night as we did in Kargil in 2011. They searched many hotels on that road using their phones. I walked with them to some only to get the negative responses. Murphy's Law worked overtime against us, it seemed! Finally, they could get us accommodation at JIT, costing ₹ 4,500 including taxes. We clutched at straws immediately. Dropped them near their homes. They invited us to KFC later. When we crashed on the bed, the time was 1:30 am on 25 Jan 2019.

After a well-earned sleep and breakfast, the first thing I did was to book our room in Regency for one night on 27 Jan 2019. By the time we were ready, it was evening. The Mizoram State Museum was closed. We had time to drive to KV Paradise, which was a memorial built by a husband for his wife, who was killed in an accident. Even that was closed by the time we reached there. But, the view was breathtaking. We clicked some photos and returned to hotel, which had a stunning view from its balcony.

Name:	DSC00002.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	378.8 KB 
ID:	234904

Name:	DSC00006.JPG 
Size:	343.1 KB 
ID:	234905

Name:	DSC00008.JPG 
Size:	332.4 KB 
ID:	234906

Name:	DSC00018.JPG 
Size:	386.4 KB 
ID:	234907

Name:	DSC00020.JPG 
Size:	546.4 KB 
ID:	234908

Name:  MID 24012019.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  146.2 KB

Name:	DSC00033.JPG 
Size:	419.6 KB 
ID:	234910

Name:	IMG_6589.JPG 
Size:	668.2 KB 
ID:	234911

Name:	DSC00037.JPG 
Size:	457.5 KB 
ID:	234912

Name:	DSC00040.JPG 
Size:	368.4 KB 
ID:	234913

Name:	DSC00043.JPG 
Size:	639.7 KB 
ID:	234914

Name:	DSC00047.JPG 
Size:	332.4 KB 
ID:	234915

Name:	IMG_6598.JPG 
Size:	269.5 KB 
ID:	234916
      MY HIGHWAY CRUISERS: TATA NEXON MOROCCAN BLUE DT XZA+ D [6 JULY 2018] . THUNDERBIRD 500 TWILIGHT [15 APRIL 2013]

Awesome

The distance from Kolkata to Agartala, enveloping the India-Bangladesh international border is 1528 km, but through Bangladesh, it is 434 km only. If we are allowed to drive through Bangladesh like Bhutan without hassle, we can save about 1,100 km one way!

Name:	KolkataAgartalaAroundBangladeshBorder.jpg 
Size:	549.1 KB 
ID:	234927

Name:	KolkataAgartalaShortestRoute.jpg 
Size:	452.7 KB 
ID:	234928

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
      If we are allowed to drive through Bangladesh like Bhutan without hassle, we can save about 1,100 km one way!
      Sir dumb question. Is it not possible ?

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Lvramanan View Post
      Is it not possible ?
      I understand there is a Kolkata-Dhaka bus service. But, driving in our own car through Bangladesh without hassle is not possible. One has to apply for carnet de passage by spending a lot, which is an elaborate process.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread Information