• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Detailing like a Pro - Maximum Shine with Minimum Effort

live to Detail...am addicted

Awesome

Detailing like a Pro - Maximum Shine with Minimum Effort

So why this thread ? I love cars (whether its a Nano or a BMW) and my Santro is my baby, my pride and joy...so it really hurts when I see really badly maintained car with dull paint, whitish bumpers and heck full of scratches which is just crying out for little loving care or hear about people washing cars with liquid detergent.

So, i wanted to write this thread to show how you can maintain your car's glossy shine and finish with least amount of effort, time and material. Even if your car is daily driver and parked full time on the streets, I am going to show you how you can still make it look good. Am not talking about show car looks, but still something, which will make the heads of 80%-90% of population turn and say "wow".

In short, am going to tell you how to cheat (yes, cheat ) to get the shiny and sexy car. Whether you have a new car few months or an old 5 yrs plus white elephant, i will tell you how you can maintain it.

Some of you may already be aware of a lot of stuff am going to talk about and may be aware of the product combos, so kindly bear with me.

Unlike a pro detailer who will correct the paint defects, am going to tell you how to reduce and hide the paint defects with some very basic stuff. So let's get started...

-------
      A. Basic Detailing 01:

Profile: Someone who does not want to spend too much money or time on the car, prefers to spend time time with family and doing other things like driving, going out or other things like sleeping on weekends (my favorite activity).

Steps:

1. Wash: use a car shampoo or rinse less wash
      2. Dry: use a microfiber (MF) towel to lightly dry the paint
      3. Wax/Sealant: use a spray wax/sealant and quickly wipe all over with the MF towels

Product Recommendations:

Shampoo: Meguiars NXT Car Wash / Meguiars Shampoo Plus / Optimum No Rinse / Duragloss No Rinse (basically any good quality branded shampoo mixed as per bottle directions)
      Wax/Sealant: Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax (UQW) / Zaino Clear Seal (ZCS) / Optimum Car Wax (OCW)

Tips:

1. Megs UQW is a fantastic product which is basically wipe-on-wipe-off (WOWO), no waiting and can be applied on everything on exterior from paint, plastics, rubber, glass, chrome, wheels etc...i absolutely love this product! And yes you can use it on the printer/tv/monitor plastic/fridge etc after cleaning of course. (Application frequency: every 2-3 weeks).

2. Zaino Clear Seal is again fantastic product, can be used anywhere on the body and is wipe-on-walk-away (WOWA). More expensive than UQW but can expect to last around 1-3 months or more.

3. Optimum Car Wax is priced between ZAIO and UQW and is more of a wax rather than sealant. This is again a wipe-on-walk-away (WOWA) product and can be used everywhere. Unfortunately yet to be available locally. Lasts anywhere from 2-6 months.

4. For all these spray waxes/sealants, follow the less-is-more principle. First open up the MF towel and spray 3-4 times on both sides and fold it in half and fold the half again. Now spray 2-3 times per panel (bonnet/ roof) and wipe all over is more than sufficient. Move to the next panel and repeat. Once whole car is done, fold a towel in four and lightly wipe all over.

Now, if you want great shine with least effort, you can stop reading right here and go buy the shampoo and one of the products mentioned and work on your car. Even just this will give easily give you a car which looks better maintained than 50% of the people.

Or, you can move on to...

-------
      B. Basic Detailing 02:

Profile: Basic 01 + Someone who has little more time in hand one weekend and wondering what to do.

Steps:

3. Clay: all over the painted metal parts, plastic, glass, windscreen basically the full exterior.You can even clay your alloys if you want. Wipe dry lightly
      4. Wax/Sealant: use a spray wax/sealant and quickly wipe all over with the MF towels

Product Recommendations:

Shampoo: Meguiars NXT Car Wash / Meguiars Shampoo Plus / Optimum No Rinse / Duragloss No Rinse (basically any good quality branded shampoo mixed as per bottle directions)
      Clay: Mother's or Meguiars or anything that is commonly available.
      Wax/Sealant:
      Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax (UQW) / Zaino Clear Seal (ZCS) / Optimum Car Wax (OCW)

Tips:

1. Just ensure the package does not say aggressive clay, regular or soft is fine. If it says nothing about the type of clay, then also its fine because by default it will be regular one.

2. Generally, each clay bar is 100 gms by weight. To do a full hatch / sedan, only 50 gms of clay bar required. So tear the clay bar into half roughly and put one 50 gms piece away. If you have purchased a 200 gms piece, then quarter it with a knife and use only one piece. Wrap the pieces in cling film and keep it away somewhere safe.

3. Now knead and flatten the 50 gms clay piece with your fingers into slightly bigger than the shape and size of your palm. Follow the instructions on the package or watch a youtube video on how to clay. If kneading the clay is hard, then drop it in a mug of warm water for a few minutes and then proceed. Use the other 50 gms piece if you think the current one is too dirty.

4. For QD you can either use the bottle which came with the kit. Or you can prepare a bottle of ONR at QD strength or lacking that prepare a bucket of shampoo wash, wash a section and then immediately clay that part.

5. For normal cars, claying is suggested only once / twice a year. You can certainly do more or less, it will not harm the paint, but its a waste of time and material unless your car is used as the locality garbage dump.

-------
      C. Intermediate Detailing:

Profile: Someone who has got the hang of washing and claying and is comfortable with a spray wax but has started wondering "is there some way to do less work every time, maybe things which last a bit longer and bit more shine"?

Yup, there is, keep reading...this where we start cheating by reducing and hiding all those lovely swirls and spiderwebs on the paint

Steps:

3. Clay: all over the painted metal parts, plastic, glass, windscreen basically the full exterior.You can even clay your alloys if you want. Wipe dry lightly. If you have clayed anytime in last six months then skip this step.
      4. Cleaner / AIO: use a paint cleaner / AIO as per the instruction on the panel and wipe off...use a yellow foam applicator
      5. Wax/Sealant: use a spray wax/sealant and quickly wipe all over with the MF towels

Product Recommendations:

Cleaner / AIO: Meguiars Ultimate Polish (UP) / Zaino All-in-One (ZAIO) / Autoglym Super Resin Polish (SRP) / Duragloss #101 Polish and Cleaner (DG101) / FinishKare #215 (FkP 215) / Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish (GEP)
      Wax/Sealant: Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax (UQW) / Zaino Clear Seal (ZCS) / Optimum Car Wax (OCW)

Tips:

1. AIO stands for All-in-One i.e. a product which cleans, protects and hides and reduces swirls, and one product may do more of one element and less of others and it varies.

2. All AIO's or sealants when using, do it panel by panel i.e. apply on one panel, do the second panel, then come back and wipe off the first panel. Remember, most of these products are suited to US/UK weather and in Indian climate things flash dry/cure faster.

3. AIO's need to be applied every 3 months or 6 months, as per manufacturer recommendations on the bottle. AIO's do not need to be applied every time you wash your car, only once in a while.

4. For AIO's one coat is enough, in most cases two coats will do nothing except remove the first layer.

5. Megs UP easily available and easy to use and difficult to mess up the application. Gives a nice glossy shine to the paint and does some light filling and light reduction of the swirls less of protection. Only caveat is this leaves a lovely oily finish which may interfere in layering with a sealant.
      -> Megs UP is closer to what is known as a cleaner glaze rather than an AIO

6. ZAIO is fantastic product and strong on protection and is almost a true AIO. It has light abrasives for reducing swirls and does some filling too. Gives an awesome shine. Only thing is a bottle is expensive but then again it will last for a long time.

7. AG SRP is again another best seller, can give an amazing finish and decent protection. Lot of people swear by this as it hits the sweet spot of VFM.

8. DG101 and FkP 215 and BF GEP, have not used these yet, but should be very similar to the above.

9. For best results, when applying the AIO, reduce the working area to half a bonnet or maybe a quarter of a bonnet.

10. Follow the less-is-more principle. 2/3 button sized drops on a yellow applicator should be enough to do half a bonnet.

11. Keep a spray bottle of water / QD handy. In case you are facing difficulty to remove the AIO after it has cured, give a light spray once and then remove with the MF towel.

12. After applying the AIO, wait for 30-60 mins and then apply the spray wax or read the AIO instructions on how much time required for curing.This is because typically spray waxes / sealants are solvent heavy and may dissolve the layer of AIO

Cleaner / Glazes can replace the Cleaner / AIO step. Good examples of Cleaner / Glazes are Poorboys Blackhole, Chemical Guys Glosswork Glaze etc. They provide the cleaning and filling function and instead of the protection element then provide the looks element. Unfortunately, most of these have to be imported by an individual if you want to try them out.

Suggest breaking up the work across two days i.e. on Saturday morning, complete till AIO and then on Sunday morning, wash and apply the spray wax.Trying to do everything in one day is a sure shot recipe for next days in bed, groaning with body aches

Please pay particular attention to the point no. 9, 10, 11, as they are critical.So

-------
      C. Advanced Detailing:

Profile:
      Someone who is now at the intermediate level and is comfortable with applying AIO's/Cleaners for preppring the paint.

So now we move on to the world of sealants and paste/liquid waxes

Steps:

3. Clay: all over the painted metal parts, plastic, glass, windscreen basically the full exterior.You can even clay your alloys if you want. Wipe dry lightly. If you have clayed anytime in last six months then skip this step.
      4. Cleaner / AIO: use a paint cleaner / AIO as per the instruction on the panel and wipe off...use a yellow foam applicator
      5. Sealants: use a sealant for added protection and looks. put 2-3 three layers for more durability / looks with a 24 hrs gap minimum
      6. Waxes: use a paste or liquid wax as per your choice. Put at least two coats of wax after 1 hr gap minimum
      7. Spray Wax/Sealant/QD: use a spray wax/sealant and quickly wipe all over with the MF towels

Product Recommendations:

Cleaner / AIO: Meguiars Ultimate Polish (UP) / Zaino All-in-One (ZAIO) / Autoglym Super Resin Polish (SRP) / Duragloss #101 Polish and Cleaner (DG101) / FinishKare #215 (FkP 215) / Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish (GEP)
      Sealants: Zaino Z2 Pro / Zain Z8 Pro / Blackfire Wet Diamond AFPP (BFWD) / FinishKare 1000P (FkP 1000P) / Collinite 845 / Duragloss #105 (DG105) / Autoglym EGP (or any similar sealant of your choice)
      Wax: any pure carnuba / hybrid paste or liquid wax of your choice.
      Spray Wax/Sealant/QD
      : Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax (UQW) / Zaino Clear Seal (ZCS) / Optimum Car Wax (OCW)

Tips:

1. Follow the less-is-more principle.

2. 2/3 button sized drops of a liquid sealant / wax on a yellow applicator should be enough to do half a bonnet.

3. For paste waxes, just lightly twist the yellow applicator in the jar and apply lightly to quarter or half the bonnet.

4. Keep a spray bottle of water / QD handy. In case you are facing difficulty to remove the sealant / wax after it has cured, give a light spray once and then remove with the MF towel.

5. For sealants, wait 12-24 hrs between multiple layers. For waxes, wait 30 mins before layering.

6. Do it panel by panel i.e. apply on one panel, do the second panel, then come back and wipe off the first panel. Remember, most of these products are suited to US/UK weather and in Indian climate things flash dry/cure faster so test it out on a small section before.

7. Keep in mind that once sealant + wax layer should last from one to three months or even six months. A good plan is to layer on the wax every 1-3 months and then every 6-9 months, start from cleaner AIO layer onwards.

7. Apply the sealant on Saturday, let it cure overnight and then on Sunday either apply a second layer of sealant or wax. If applying a second layer of sealant, no harm in waiting till next saturday and give a quick wash before the wax.

-------------------
      Q&A

Q. Are each of the AIO, sealant, wax. spray wax layers required for my car?
      A. No, you can apply in any combination and stop there keep on washing and reapplying it. You can just apply the sealant and skip the rest or just aply the wax directly after washing, skipping the cleaner and sealant step and it will still work fine. But the process/steps outlined above will max out the shine of your car.

Q. Do i have to do all the seven steps in one session in one day or can i spread it out?
      A. Of course, you can spread out the steps over multiple weekends. Logical break points for the seven step process would break after applying cleaner AIO, then break after each layer of sealant and then break after each layer of wax.

Q. I got some XYZ product which says Polish on the label but in the description it says light abrasive cleaning...what the heck is this?
      A. Look at what the product is supposed to do i.e. the function. If its says chemical or abrasive cleaning then its going to do just that. if it says reduces swirls then it means gonna do some filling and so on.

Q. My grandmother has a bad back and is not able to climb on the SUV to clean the roof or do any of the seven steps, what should she do? And yeah she cant use a spray bottle either?
      A. Get her a bottle of Optimum No Rinse / Duragloss No Rinse. Both are great cleaners and reapeated application of leave layers of light protection on the car.

Q. I got a a bike for weekend pleasure tours and a autorickshaw for going to my big shot CEO office in Bangalore traffic, what can i do?
      A. For metal parts mix up a bottle of rinseless wash at QD strength and lightly spray, leave for 30 secs and wipe. For the cloth/vinyl top, spray a towel with with the rinseless wash at QD strength and gently wipe the soft top.

Q. Correction is absolutely not mentioned in your actions? Why on earth would you call this detailing then, forget about the pro part?
      A. Good question and the answer to that is for paint defects you can do three things - correct/remove defects, reduce defects or hide defects. In the action plans when you start using the Cleaner / AIO / Glazes, you are using light abrasives to reduce the swirls and fillers help in hiding the defect. For a full correction, would suggest a pro detailer.

Q. Is full hand correction possible?
      A. Short answer - impossible. Long answer - you can use a SMAT product like Megs Ultimate Compound or Swirlx or ScratchX with a tri foam applicator and LOT of elbow grease to minimize the swirls greatly. Would also suggest investing in some stock of Volini or some such product cause you will be using a lot of those also. Suggest calling a pro detailer or buying a DA for home use.

Q. I have a new car, fresh from showroom or few months old, how to keep it like that? I have old car, what do i do?
      A. If you want to do less work then i suggest the Intermediate Plan or else go for the Advanced plan and then just maintain with Basic 01 plan.

Q. So am a master of the normal wash/sealant/wax routine and i can do it while sleep walking, whats next?
      A. Interesting question because if you have got the hang of it then welcome to the world of "super-sealants/semi-permanent coatings "(OptiCoatv2, System X Element 119, CCC Ceramishield , CarPro CQUARTZ, Getchniq C1 etc) and world of "nano-selants" (Wolf's BodyWrap, Gtechniq C2, Permanon Platinum and a heck lot more). Read a lot on what you want to use and if you are in Bangalore and planning to use anything apart from Element 119, OC and Permanon (i have used these ), give me a buzz, want to observe how it goes.

-------
      Happy detailing

P.S. Absolutely no association with any of the products suggested except being stupid enough to buy most of them at one point for personal use. And yes, i currently have enough material to last me next five years.
      Last edited by fordfan; 19th Feb 2013 at 00:31.

WHiTe LiGHTNiNG™
      Hyperian

Awesome

Thanks some seriously good stuff fordfan. Can you tell me which is the best method to clean the car daily without creating any swirls?
      Caveman on Ketosis

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

fordfan, excellent tips with excelling write up!

Where does the Collinite 845 fits? You are suggesting Sealant - Wax - Sealant treatment right? How will it help, in better shining or longer protection period or both?

Wanderer
      Roadtrips and rides!!

Awesome

fordfan : Excellent set of threads on detailing!

I' a total noob in this area, so needed some very basic advice -

Recently bought an R15 for my daily ride.
      I'll mostly be able to dedicate some 2-3 hours each Sunday for detailing and cleaning the bike.
      The question here, considering the fact that the bike is mostly fiber fairing, are -

1. Can I use the normal car shampoos for my bike?
      2. From your other threads and this one I can conclude - a set of MF towels, a wash mitt and a toothbrush will do for my requirements, are these enough?
      3. On the chemical front - a shampoo and a good wax/sealant will do?
      Yamaha R15 V2.0 (2012) - Bliss @ 7000 RPM!

"My circumstances don't make me who I am, they reveal who I have chosen to be."

live to Detail...am addicted

Awesome

Dev11 - Collinite 845 and FkP 1000p are super tough buggers...either one of them can probably resist a nuclear bomb...so use either one...and yes both are sealants though they call themselves wax

845 by its function / properties is a sealant as it has more synthetics than carnauba wax, even though it says wax on the label and if applied properly can last 3-6 months. Actually sometime it can be pain to remove and can be nearly indestructible when you want to try something new...

Generally a spray wax/ sealant is created more as "booster product". In the protection department these are generally pretty weak but in the beauty department these are pretty high (of course exceptions like OCW exist). So you are bang on target.

Also, am sure you have heard of the traditional combo of glaze-sealant-wax-QD combo. Out of these, only the wax may be organic and rest are all synthetics so even a QD is a sealant but a beauty product.

Different between Sealant and Wax

1. Sealant will have more synthetic content and Wax more carnauba content
      2. Sealant give a glossy, shiny plastic look and Wax tones down the sealant look and give a softer, warmer, shimmery look
      3. Sealants have better dust/dirt repelling properties, can sometimes be more hydrophobic and can be longer lasting whereas Wax initially attracts more dust and dirt, mostly less durable than sealant and can be less or equal hydrophobic as a sealant.

Today, there are lot of materials out there which exhibit dual properties.

At the end of the day, it boils down to looks - like the glossy, shiny plastic look then go for sealants as they will look better. For a warmer softer look, go for wax specially on a dark metallic color.

So if you are using 845, do you need a spray wax / sealant? Probably not...But if you want you can always try a liquid / paste wax on top...
      Last edited by fordfan; 28th Jul 2012 at 21:47.

On the lookout for more 4
      wheel victims.

Hungry

fordfan Your threads on detailing are absolutely fabulous. Great content, and great language! Thanks a ton for the info.
      In pursuit of happiness, and happiness drives very fast.

dubbu dubbu dubbu

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
      Thanks some seriously good stuff fordfan. Can you tell me which is the best method to clean the car daily without creating any swirls?
      Yes me too waiting for this answer, as I have a new car and don't want to screw it up with swirl marks..I have bought meguairs quick detailer and quick wax. I am using Amway car shampoo. I bought 3M MF towels also..I jusst got the paint sealant treatment done from 3M..
      Last edited by fernando; 28th Jul 2012 at 22:19.
      "Sailors work like horses at sea and spend their money like asses ashore.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ECLIPSE CD7200 MKII / KENWOOD KOS-A300 / DYNAUDIO ESOTEC 242 / HELIX P-400 / ULTIMO SC 12 / JBL GTO 751EZ / MONSTER XLN 402 / GLADEN CINCH ZERO / GLADEN 11 & 13 GAUGE / DAMPMAT / FOCAL 4 GAUGE AMP WIRING KIT

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by fordfan View Post
      So if you are using 845, do you need a spray wax / sealant? Probably not...But if you want you can always try a liquid / paste wax on top...
      I haven't used Collinite yet! I normally shampoo-wash once in 30-40 days and top-wash once in a/two weeks. Other days, if needed I do damp-cloth cleaning.

In the 20 months of ownership, I used two wax products - Formula and Motomax, normally once in a month or two. Now wanted to cut short on "efforts, energy and time", thats why thinking on Collinite. Afraid of using a product which never used or seen anybody using! Shall I go by this process - "Shampoo wash-Dry-Collinite-Motomax Wax" or "Shampoo-Dry-Wax-Collinite"?

WHiTe LiGHTNiNG™
      Hyperian

Awesome

fernando - the point is - using anything over paint will create swirls. What we should be looking at is a combination which creates the latest swirls.

I use two sets of liquids.

1. Megs quick detailer -For morning wipes and removal of bird poo and other stains - use with a combination of 3m's microfiber cloth.

2. Home made solution - A combination of water+megs NxT shampoo+3m liquid wax in a spray bottle - This serves the purpose of giving the car quick morning cleaning job.

I usually use jopasu to remove the surface dust followed by wiping using microfiber and solution 2.

Solution 2 is cheaper than megs QD but doesnt have the effect of (wet look) as the megs QD but atleast creates lesser swirls than any other method
      Caveman on Ketosis

Support Donkey
      Turbo Lag - Giving the NA guys
      just 1 extra second of false
      hope :p

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post
      fordfan Your threads on detailing are absolutely fabulous. Great content, and great language!
      +1 to that. fordfan, just reading your threads makes me want to make some time every week to detail my Cruze. And trust me, that doesn't happen often
      2002 Tata Indica DLS.
      2004 Suzuki Zen - A G13B eater.
      2005 Suzuki Baleno - India's fastest Naturally Aspirated Baleno timed on a drag strip officially!
      2008 Suzuki Swift VDi - The Rattle King.
      2011 Chevrolet Cruze - A monster in the making.
      2016 Ford Ecosport 1.5 TDCi Titanium - The SQ Machine in the making.
      2014 MOC SQ Pro Champions.
      Harmonixx Audio Inc - Importers for Audiofrog & Zapco.
      Dealers for Rainbow/Mosconi/Dynaudio/Micro Precision/Audible Physics/AIV/Morel/Flux/PHD/Gladen/Focal/Rockford Fosgate/Dampmat/E4 Damping and more.

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information