• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Detailing like a Pro - Maximum Shine with Minimum Effort

Mugen Fever

Awesome

fordfan...i too am into detailing and love doing it...but i am still at a basic level..i.e wash with shampoo n then apply wax/sealant.
      Ok...back to my question...i have been using 845 for quote some time and am extememly happy with it's durability and gloss.
      Now this time I've also bought the FPK1000 and am planning to apply it on my civic...which has already been gone through claying and then a coat of megs sealant. Now, i am planning to also add a coat of FPK1000 on it...do u think it'll add to the durability and make the surface slick n hard.

I just got the civic newly Painted....so want to keep the paint looking good as new for yrs to come.
      Therefore i bought FPK1000 as i heard that this is one of the most durable wax and is almost as good as adding a layer of hard clear coat on top of the paint.

Do u think just layering the megs sealant with fpk1000 is enuf or i should also add 845 to it as well ???
      11' BEAT LT TCDI | Back to Stock ICE :-(

CIVIC MUGEN RR | Milano Red | TEIN SS | Lenso Raiden Project D "Spec C" | Dunlop Direzza DZ101 | Dynamat Extreme | FatMat

live to Detail...am addicted

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchit87 View Post
      Do u think just layering the megs sealant with fpk1000 is enuf or i should also add 845 to it as well ???
      Just a query - did you wait for at least 30 days after repainting or immediately you put on the Megs sealant? and which sealant did you use?

either 845 or FkP 1000P alone is enough...but you can always go ahead layer the FKP 1000P first and then top with 845, should last six months or more easily...after than probably your car will be able to withstand a nuclear bomb

Get the wash technique right and that will go a long way towards keeping the car looking new.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
      In the 20 months of ownership, I used two wax products - Formula and Motomax, normally once in a month or two. Now wanted to cut short on "efforts, energy and time", thats why thinking on Collinite. Afraid of using a product which never used or seen anybody using! Shall I go by this process - "Shampoo wash-Dry-Collinite-Motomax Wax" or "Shampoo-Dry-Wax-Collinite"?
      Collinite stuff is very well known for great stuff at very fair prices so no worries. It can even the harshest North American winters. BTW, 845 and FkP 1000P both have superb durability...so you should easily get 3 months or more from either. No need to touch up either every month. If you really want something extra, then got a bottle of QD or Spray Wax and use it after every second wash.

I would suggest stick with only 845 as its a quality product and forget the other two. If you really want a wax then i would suggest Collinite 915 paste wax.

And please go and buy a quality shampoo like Megs or something.

Quick tips for using Collinite 845

1. Immerse the closed bottle halfway in a pan of lukewarm water and leave it for 15-20 mins. Or leave it out in sunlight for some time.
      2. Shake well for 1-2 mins or till your arm feels like its falling off.
      3. Use a foam applicator or a small piece of soft t-shirt for applying.
      4. Put very little amount on the applicator and then lightly wipe on the car.

845 is supposed to be a liquid wax but has an annoying tendency to thicken in the bottle and refuse to come out properly sometimes. Shaking the upturned bottle hard has resulted in sudden outflow of the wax, resulting in more stuff on my clothes rather than the applicator. So warming and shaking before use helps.
      Last edited by fordfan; 29th Jul 2012 at 01:06.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
      I use two sets of liquids.

1. Megs quick detailer -For morning wipes and removal of bird poo and other stains - use with a combination of 3m's microfiber cloth.

2. Home made solution - A combination of water+megs NxT shampoo+3m liquid wax in a spray bottle - This serves the purpose of giving the car quick morning cleaning job.
      wow...i love the idea of your solution 2. and have to say its a very, very smart idea Sometimes, you get better result staying in the same company as their products are made to complement each other.

So, want to try a small experiment for the benefit of rest of us please ?

1. Try playing around with the ratios of your current shampoo + wax mixture and see what happens. Maybe try more of the liquid wax than shampoo...
      2. Try mixing Megs UQW and distilled water with the NxT in different ratios and see what happens

Would love to know your feedback on how the above two experiments fare with regards to Megs QD

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Techiemechie View Post
      The question here, considering the fact that the bike is mostly fiber fairing, are -

1. Can I use the normal car shampoos for my bike?
      2. From your other threads and this one I can conclude - a set of MF towels, a wash mitt and a toothbrush will do for my requirements, are these enough?
      3. On the chemical front - a shampoo and a good wax/sealant will do?
      Techiemechie

1. Yes you can certainly use the car shampoo for bike, even those racing bicycles. See, car shampoo is actually a misnomer, it actually can be used for any auto paint surface.

2. Yes correct. Would suggest two wash mits though, one for the wheels and tires and one for the rest of the body surface. Or you can dedicate one MF towel as the wash media for wheels and tires only. Also two toothbrushes, one soft bristle toothbrush for the small places and one hard bristle for scrubbing the tires.

3. Get a good shampoo and a sealant like 845 /FkP 1000P. No need for a wax unless you want the make it shine more. Also if you got lots of painted plastic, apply the sealant to them also for shine and protection.

Would you be willing to take a look at a tire dressing also perhaps? Nothing kills the look more than a shiny vehicle with dull brown tires...

If yes, then have a look at FkP #108 Top Kote or the Forever Black Tire Gel dressing at BB Impex. If you are thinking of buying either one, let me know and i will tell you how to have fun with them.

Btw, FkP #108 is more versatile as it can be applied on any exterior and interior black plastic or rubber or vinyl.

Warning: Please do not apply any tire dressing on the tire treads, only on the sidewalls.

Double Warning: Also, would not suggest applying wax/sealants to seat of the bike.

Do not apply a cheap silicon based tire dressing on interior rubber mats of the car else they become slippery as hell. I did try out some Formula 1 silicon based crap on the driver's side rubber floor mat and then took the car out for a drive and promptly wet my pants! Could not even keep my feet on the mat, it kept on sliding...unbelievably scary! I had to pull over and take the mat out and rub it on the roadside mud and dirt to get back some traction...LOL...
      Last edited by fordfan; 29th Jul 2012 at 02:22.

WHiTe LiGHTNiNG™
      Hyperian

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by fordfan View Post
      wow...i love the idea of your solution 2. and have to say its a very, very smart idea Sometimes, you get better result staying in the same company as their products are made to complement each other.

So, want to try a small experiment for the benefit of rest of us please ?

1. Try playing around with the ratios of your current shampoo + wax mixture and see what happens. Maybe try more of the liquid wax than shampoo...
      2. Try mixing Megs UQW and distilled water with the NxT in different ratios and see what happens

Would love to know your feedback on how the above two experiments fare with regards to Megs QD
      Thanks mate. Wonderful tips. I will try them and provide you with results.The only issue I have with the second solution is that it isnt that slick like QD.
      Caveman on Ketosis

In a loop

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by fordfan View Post
      Anyway here's the technique for a good wash -
      I follow the same method but used to do a few mistakes which you have pointed out i.e. thumb rules were not followed, not gentle wipes and I used to be do the first pass with a dry MF. Thanks for the wonderful tip.

For waterless wash, I have used ONR/very diluted amway solution instead of using many mfs, I keep a bucket of of water with a grit gaurd and keep rinsing the mf after every panel.

WHiTe LiGHTNiNG™
      Hyperian

Awesome

sridhar k - getting ONR is becoming a problem. An alternative is megs final inspection which is around 2400 rs for 3.75L container. I already have roadracer who is willing to buy and split it. Will post a review on the same so that we can buy more based on how good it is when compared to megs quick detailer.
      Caveman on Ketosis

following a 'Linea'r
      progression

Secret

Awesome write-up fordfan. Can't thank you enough for all your threads on detailing.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by fernando View Post
      Yes me too waiting for this answer, as I have a new car and don't want to screw it up with swirl marks..I have bought meguairs quick detailer and quick wax. I am using Amway car shampoo. I bought 3M MF towels also..I jusst got the paint sealant treatment done from 3M..
      so did the 3M guys say how long the sealant is supposed to last? Once you get bored or the sealant is gone, go out buy a bottle of Megs Ultimate Polish, apply it and top it with the Quick Wax...

For a new car, Megs UP will really wake the paint up...literally kicking it hard in the family jewels...because in a new car, swirls are still very, very less and nearly optically perfect.
      I bet, your new car is gonna make your jaws drop! Try it out and post the pics here...

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information