• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Detailing like a Pro - Maximum Shine with Minimum Effort

Mugen Fever

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by fordfan View Post
      Just a query - did you wait for at least 30 days after repainting or immediately you put on the Megs sealant? and which sealant did you use?

either 845 or FkP 1000P alone is enough...but you can always go ahead layer the FKP 1000P first and then top with 845, should last six months or more easily...after than probably your car will be able to withstand a nuclear bomb

Get the wash technique right and that will go a long way towards keeping the car looking new.
      Yup...i waited almost a month after the re-paint and then got the car clayed once to get a smooth finish and then got a coat of megs sealant.
      BTW...a keep ts car covered (5 layer cover)when not in use so no direct sun or tree/bird droppings on it. So me thinks that just another layer of FPK1000 should be enough to withstand a bomb....no...??
      I terms of durability/gloss/slickness how would u compare fpk1000 to 845 ???

I always do just one layer of 845 on my car...never get the time to do another...washing n then applying n removing takes up quite an effort n time. So is it really necessary to do 2 or 3 layers...or 1 works fine too.

Regarding the washing technique....i too follow almost similar techniques while washing. From top to bottom...N i ty to use pressure hose most of the times.
      I use megs n cobra MF and then megs water magnet(waffle weave) to move all the water.
      But i use shampoo only once in a while and not every week....either once in 15/20 days or when the car is very dirty.
      Cause...i thnk using shampoo frequently wouod definitely shorten the durability of 845....right ???

BTW.. fordfan...is megs water magnet a good drying towel or would u suggest something even better ?? Cause I need to get another one...n I can get it from US...have few relatives there coming to India.
      Last edited by Sanchit87; 29th Jul 2012 at 13:39.
      11' BEAT LT TCDI | Back to Stock ICE :-(

CIVIC MUGEN RR | Milano Red | TEIN SS | Lenso Raiden Project D "Spec C" | Dunlop Direzza DZ101 | Dynamat Extreme | FatMat

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a vitamin dose

Awesome

Blog Entries
      That's a great thread fordfan. I am a complete noob in this field.

I basically fit in to your basic profile. Can you help me with basic steps on what should I do with frequency count to keep my car clean. The entire thread is too confusing for me to understand sealant / wax / and various brand names / when to use what to use etc.

What I can understandably do is:

1. Wash the car once in a month or two, I got some 3M cleaning kit for this. There is some foam that contains cleaning shampoo, glass cleaning fiber and MF cloth.
      2. Do some polish once in a while - suggest me what to use here and how frequently I need to do this - higher frequency the better.
      3. Once the polish (wax of sealant or anything else) is applied, can I continue washing the car every 4-6 weeks? Or there is something else that needs to be done?
      4. Any other step that I need to follow to keep the car clean.

Also, suggest some steps to remove minor marks in the car. The car remains parked in open and kids have put small scratch marks at some 5-6 places all around the car - mainly at doors. Can they be done something about.

Time is main constrain for me and even on weekend, its is difficult to give large time to car for this on regular basis. So quicker methods are requested. Apologies if I am asking for too much but I have these issues and result has been an ugly looking car - which of course I am looking to change!

live to Detail...am addicted

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchit87 View Post
      Yup...i waited almost a month after the re-paint and then got the car clayed once to get a smooth finish and then got a coat of megs sealant.
      Great! Generally repaint and factory fresh paints are different with the repaint requiring at least 30 days or more for proper curing and hardening...

I terms of durability/gloss/slickness how would u compare fpk1000 to 845 ???
      In terms of durability/gloss/slickness both are nearly the same...so it boils down to personal preference. Where FkP has a slight edge over 845 is better high temperature resistance. If you got a good pair of alloys, clean them and apply a layer of FkP 1000P, they will repel dust and be easier to clean in future.

I always do just one layer of 845 on my car...never get the time to do another...washing n then applying n removing takes up quite an effort n time. So is it really necessary to do 2 or 3 layers...or 1 works fine too.
      Agreed applying a second layer can be a real pain...you can apply it the next time you wash, maybe 2/3 weeks down the line or simply skip it. One layer is also fine.

So why do you need a second or third layer of sealant / wax ? The answer to that is coverage and looks

When applying, one area you may have applied slightly more hand pressure so the product goes on thick and in another maybe lighter pressure than normal so it goes on thinner. This is why a DA polisher is also popular for applying sealant / wax because it maintains uniform light pressure.

This unevenness only becomes noticeable when in certain light conditions. An easy way to test this is after applying and wiping off, spray some water on say the bonnet. Now look at beads and what do you see? some areas will have tight, small, round beads and some will have fat, irregular shaped beads...this is because of the unevenness.

A second layer ensures uniformity by leveling the high spots and bridging the gaps so you get much better protection.

Also the layers provide better depth / gloss as it bends the light when viewed. Of course, for every product, there is a max number of layers beyond which it adds nothing to looks only increases durability.

Regarding the washing technique....i too follow almost similar techniques while washing. From top to bottom...N i ty to use pressure hose most of the times.
      I use megs n cobra MF and then megs water magnet(waffle weave) to move all the water.
      is megs water magnet a good drying towel or would u suggest something even better ?? Cause I need to get another one...n I can get it from US...have few relatives there coming to India.
      Waffle Weaves (WW) towels are fantastic and any brand like Megs or Cobra is fine. If it works for you, then stick to it, unless its not absorbing water well and you need a new one.

What do you mean by pressure hose? Pressure washer like Karcher or Bosch Aquatek (or whichever way its spelled) will clean the car if it is protected. For the drying i would suggest using a QD.

But i use shampoo only once in a while and not every week....either once in 15/20 days or when the car is very dirty.
      Cause...i thnk using shampoo frequently wouod definitely shorten the durability of 845....right ???

Interesting question and the answer to that is both NO and YES.

NO because 845 is pretty tough and no normal shampoo is going to be able to remove it. You will need a chemical / abrasive cleaner AIO to take it off.

YES because shampoo is very broad term - it includes citrus TFR's (traffic film removers), citrus shampoos, strongly alkaline shampoos, pH neutral shampoos and more. Different shampoos for different purposes and yes some can remove the protection layer.

Why i keep on saying a good shampoo or branded shampoo like Megs etc is because these will have the right balance of alkalinity / pH neutral to clean but still be wax/sealant safe. Something like a dish washing liquid when used as a shampoo will have some crazy alkalinity and will strip your wax and leave white stains on black plastic bumpers in high enough concentrations.
      Last edited by fordfan; 29th Jul 2012 at 14:27.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      Also, suggest some steps to remove minor marks in the car. The car remains parked in open and kids have put small scratch marks at some 5-6 places all around the car - mainly at doors. Can they be done something about.
      Can you upload some pics of the marks? Put a finger on the paint near the mark, focus the camera on the finger and then take a picture.

1. Wash the car once in a month or two, I got some 3M cleaning kit for this. There is some foam that contains cleaning shampoo, glass cleaning fiber and MF cloth.
      Can you post a link to 3M kit you are talking about? Sounds like a pretty good starter kit

What i can suggest is

1. buy around 5-6 MF towel's, 3M, Megs, Eurow or anything branded is fine.
      2. buy a bottle of Megs Ultimate Polish and a bottle of Megs Ultimate Quick Wax. Both should be available easily in Chennai.

2. Do some polish once in a while - suggest me what to use here and how frequently I need to do this - higher frequency the better.
      You can apply the Megs Ultimate Polish every 6 months no issues. Use a small piece of cotton t-shirt to lightly apply it as per bottle instruction. No scrubbing! Car is not a cooking utensil which needs to be scrubbed...just lightly apply to a small area like half a bonnet and wipe it off before it dries. Continue doing around the whole car.

Once the Megs UP application is finished, spray the Megs Ultimate Quick Wax panel by panel and wipe off.

3. Once the polish (wax of sealant or anything else) is applied, can I continue washing the car every 4-6 weeks? Or there is something else that needs to be done?
      For the very first time, do the following - wash, dry, apply Megs UP, apply Megs UQW.

After that follow the Basic 01 plan every 4 weeks. For in between dusting pick up a car duster and lightly dust the car preferably in the morning before going to work. You can use one of the MF towels also for light dusting, no need for a duster.

6 months applying the Megs UP once again do the whole cycle again.

And please no apologies, detailing should be quick and easy and not a big 8hr marathon
      Last edited by fordfan; 29th Jul 2012 at 15:04.

Mugen Fever

Awesome

Thanks fordfan...appreciate all your tips.

Well...then I guess...I too should apply another layer....and yes, I too feel the unevenness...some areas bead water differently and some areas give more gloss n slickness then others.

Great...so all branded WW towels are ok. One question though...when i clean the car with just water...should i use the waffle weave immediately after washing for drying or i should i first clean the car with a normal MF and then the last step should be remove the remaining water with WW ???
      Yes....but when i clean with shampoo n mitt...en after rinsing...i use the WW...cause the car is already clean.

By pressure hose...i mean...i have a normal thin faucet hose which has a water spray gun attach to it on one end. This sray gun has 6 different spray settings like mist, shower, small n big stream....etc...It works great.
      So when the car has dirt n muck stuck on it...especially after rains....i use this instead of water buckets. Though i don't know how long would this hose work...after all it's a cheap Chinese made thing...and the water spray gun is all plastic.

Unfortunately.... i can't use the powered pressure washers...as i live in apartments...n don't have electricity points in the parking areas.

For shampooing i have been using Eagle One "quick-dri" shampoo. I don't know if this strips or does not strip wax/sealant....but it works great.
      But what I've heard is that 845 is not detergent proof...

CIVIC MUGEN RR | Milano Red | TEIN SS | Lenso Raiden Project D "Spec C" | Dunlop Direzza DZ101 | Dynamat Extreme | FatMat

No Commerce, Just Fun
      New Year 2017

Secret

Hi fordman.

looks like you posted some good and useful information. your this thread is the "most thanked thread of July 2011"

keep up your passion for "car detailing"

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
      your this thread is the "most thanked thread of July 2011"
      thanks...that's nice to know when i was writing the looong post i was wondering if people would find it interesting or not...nice to see people are more interested than i thought.

Awesome

Is Waxing worth it?

So, some of you maybe wondering that all the above sounds like a lot of hard work, is it worth it?

Let me show you some pics of my car, metallic silver, keeping in mind that light metallic / solid colors are difficult to improve when compared to metallic / solid warm and dark colors...

So here's some pics, taken at 0930 AM today and dull, cloudy weather on my 5+ yrs old car...would have loved to show you the "flake pop" but need some sunlight for that

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000152_1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	711.6 KB 
ID:	96274

Name:	P1000154.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	695.4 KB 
ID:	96273

Name:	P1000164.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	309.9 KB 
ID:	96271

Name:	P1000160.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	380.6 KB 
ID:	96272

Materials Used (in order of usage spread over three weekends):

1. Sonus Paint Cleanser
      2. Wet Glaze 2.0 x 01 coat
      3. Four Star UPP sealant x 03 coats
      4. Poorboy's Natty's Red Paste Wax x 02 coats

Total time spent = (6+ 2 + 2 + 2 + 2) hrs = 14 hrs

Will probably fallback on regular waxing after one or two months and continue till 6-9 months before starting the whole cycle again from scratch...

Similar kind of looks and protection can be achieved be achieved through other sealant+wax combo...Key here is knowing how to apply sealant / wax, will shortly post some tips on that...
      Last edited by fordfan; 4th Aug 2012 at 11:01.

Mugen Fever

Awesome

Thanks fordfan...appreciate all your tips.

Well...then I guess...I too should apply another layer....and yes, I too feel the unevenness...some areas bead water differently and some areas give more gloss n slickness then others.

Great...so all branded WW towels are ok. One question though...when i clean the car with just water...should i use the waffle weave immediately after washing for drying or i should i first clean the car with a normal MF and then the last step should be remove the remaining water with WW ???
      Yes....but when i clean with shampoo n mitt...en after rinsing...i use the WW...cause the car is already clean.

By pressure hose...i mean...i have a normal thin faucet hose which has a water spray gun attach to it on one end. This sray gun has 6 different spray settings like mist, shower, small n big stream....etc...It works great.
      So when the car has dirt n muck stuck on it...especially after rains....i use this instead of water buckets. Though i don't know how long would this hose work...after all it's a cheap Chinese made thing...and the water spray gun is all plastic.

Unfortunately.... i can't use the powered pressure washers...as i live in apartments...n don't have electricity points in the parking areas.

For shampooing i have been using Eagle One "quick-dri" shampoo. I don't know if this strips or does not strip wax/sealant....but it works great.
      But what I've heard is that 845 is not detergent proof...
      Hey fordfan waiting for your reply on the above...thanks

Awesome

After washing with water from pressure hose, use a damp MF towel (with some QD if you got any any) and then WW.

Some QD would definitely help, suggest you get a bottle if possible...one/two sprays per half panel should be sufficient.

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information