• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • View Poll Results: Who makes better performing Diesel engines?

Voters
    37. You may not vote on this poll
    • Ford

15 40.54%
    • Hyundai

22 59.46%
    Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford or Hyundai - Who makes better performing Diesel Engines?

Spirit of Sound!

Awesome

Ford or Hyundai - Who makes better performing Diesel Engines?

Hi Guys,

Great info provided here. I'm also interested in buying this great Urban SUV from Ford. It will be my first Ford car. Btw I just wanna know, why Ford being such a big name couldn't compete with other brands like Hyundai in terms of performance when it comes to diesel engine? Be it Fiesta 2011, or now EcoSport. It lacks performance big time when we compare the numbers with Hyundai's CRDi engine. Why is it so?

(Hyundai's CRDi diesel engine: 1582cc, 129PS@4000rpm, 260Nm@1900rpm)

Even Hyundai's 1396cc diesel engine (4-cylinder, 4-valves, DOHC) produce power of 90PS@4000rpm and amazing torque of 219Nm@2750rpm. Am no Hyundai fan, just wanna clear my doubts!
      Spirit of Sound!!

Bicycle in Pune, Figo in Delhi

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by KunaLsFluidic View Post
      Btw I just wanna know, why Ford being such a big name couldn't compete with other brands like Hyundai in terms of performance when it comes to diesel engine? Be it Fiesta 2011, or now EcoSport.
      Because with big performance, comes big turbo lag. Ford diesels are more tuned towards reducing turbo lags to the minimum so as to provide petrol engine like experience.

Spirit of Sound!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
      Because with big performance, comes big turbo lag. Ford diesels are more tuned towards reducing turbo lags to the minimum so as to provide petrol engine like experience.
      I wasn't talking about petrol engine mate, my query was about Ford's diesel engine..
      Spirit of Sound!!

Awesome

I wasn't talking about petrol engine mate, my query was about Ford's diesel engine..
      And I was talking about Ford diesels, right?

Ford diesels are ...

Spirit of Sound!

Awesome

as to provide petrol engine like experience.
      Are you saying there's no turbo lag in Ford Fiesta and there is a turbo lag in Hyundai's Fluidic Verna? (not just Verna, but VW's Vento and Skoda's Rapid has better/similar performance)

Because with big performance, comes big turbo lag.
      Verna's 260nm of torque kicks in at 1900 rmp and Fiesta's 204nm of torque kicks in at 2000 rpm.. Huge difference in torque and a turbo lag of 100 rpm.. This is what I was talking about, why this huge difference is there in terms of performance?

- - - Updated - - -

Because with big performance, comes big turbo lag
      Mahindra's XUV500 has 2179cc, 4-cylinder, DOHC diesel engine and power ratings: 140PS@3750rpm, 330Nm of torque @ just 1600 rpm..
      Spirit of Sound!!

Awesome

Verna's 260nm of torque kicks in at 1900 rmp and Fiesta's 204nm of torque kicks in at 2000 rpm.. Huge difference in torque and a turbo lag of 100 rpm.. This is what I was talking about, why this huge difference is there in terms of performance?
      That's really awesome! It means that Ford has been sleeping when it comes to development of diesel engines. That's why Hyundai diesels are better than Ford diesels. Jaw dropping performance, no turbo lag, phenomenal mileage. Now I see why people love Hyundai diesels

Reviews of recently launched Elantra says good ride quality and handling. Hyundai is not much far from becoming the best overall car company, it seems. Could overtake Ford in sales worldwide!

Mahindra's XUV500 has 2179cc, 4-cylinder, DOHC diesel engine and power ratings: 140PS@3750rpm, 330Nm of torque @ just 1600 rpm..
      Ah, I had forgotten about Mahindra diesels! Yup, it is a wonder that their engines have petrol like experience and yet packs such phenomenal power! Only mileage is not as good as Hyundais. But then that's coz they are driven by monstrously heavy cars.

Sedate...

Awesome

Verna's 260nm of torque kicks in at 1900 rmp and Fiesta's 204nm of torque kicks in at 2000 rpm.. Huge difference in torque and a turbo lag of 100 rpm.
      Isn't it wrong?? What you mean by turbo lag? For you, it looks like the difference in max. torque produced by these two engines at a specific RPM.
      2010 Ford Figo TDCi Titanium - Our Colorado Queen :-)
      CODE 6 Tuned - Remapped Ford Figo
      "Taking your seat is so easy. Leaving it, however, never is." :-) - Courtesy BMW 3 Series

Spirit of Sound!

Awesome

That's really awesome! It means that Ford has been sleeping when it comes to development of diesel engines. That's why Hyundai diesels are better than Ford diesels. Jaw dropping performance, no turbo lag, phenomenal mileage. Now I see why people love Hyundai diesels
      Buddy am not interested in any kind of debate. Yes you are right, Hyundai's diesel engines are better than Ford's, thats why Fluidic Verna has managed great numbers from day 1 in terms of monthly sales and Ford's Fiesta has failed miserably.. No comment on "Mahindra diesel engines have petrol like experience", guess people who own XUV500 know better!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evolution88 View Post
      Isn't it wrong?? What you mean by turbo lag? For you, it looks like the difference in max. torque produced by these two engines at a specific RPM.
      What do you mean by turbo lag?
      Spirit of Sound!!

Sedate...

Awesome

What do you mean by turbo lag?
      You should be answering this question as I asked you.
      2010 Ford Figo TDCi Titanium - Our Colorado Queen :-)
      CODE 6 Tuned - Remapped Ford Figo
      "Taking your seat is so easy. Leaving it, however, never is." :-) - Courtesy BMW 3 Series

Spirit of Sound!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Evolution88 View Post
      You should be answering this question as I asked you.
      As far as I understand (am no engineer), turbo-lag means sluggish engine or say low RPM range before the turbo pressurizes and starts delivering/making power.

Now you tell me what do you understand by turbo lag?

I have nothing against Ford, I love EcoSport design and would love to own (already mentioned), but all I wanna know is why Ford hasn't been able to develop or say launch good performance oriented diesel engine in Indian market? Am not comparing Figo with i20 or Swift or Polo, but I'm comparing Fiesta with Verna, Vento, Rapid and so on. They have made a mistake in Fiesta (mainly due to price tag), now I guess Ford shouldn't make any mistake in EcoSport, let it be price tag, features and performance.
      Spirit of Sound!!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information