Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
      Took a stop to click the Tea Plantscapes, amid drizzling rain
      Where are the snaps?

Global Moderator
      Driving Worlds fastest truck!!

Awesome

Added another 1095 KMs to the ODO METER, Did a solo trip to Bangalore - Udupi - Bangalore trip
      THis calls for a separate travelogue and not a post plz.
      Try walking into YOUR car rather than crawling. For me walking is always best ---GURU SHISHIR

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rainy Days

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      Where are the snaps?
      Quote Originally Posted by shishirbn View Post
      THis calls for a separate travelogue and not a post plz.
      Not many pics were clicked. Thanks to rains and engaging drive. Mobile Cameras are not fast enough to click pics in rainy surroundings. I clicked couple of videos, but they are too heavy to upload and needs some editing which i am not good at. they are good for private and assisted viewing only.

No separate travelogue shishirbn, i already described the journey in words.

Go Swift , Go Safe

Awesome

Hey Nomad yours and your cars story is an inspiration to those who want to ride and go places safely and also a lesson to take care of their vehicles, apart from the technicalities,your boths journeys have been one of the factors for me to book an N-ANHC (reliability), may receive the vehicle next Thursday. I wish you many more wonderful years with Happy Car or it’s worthy replacement. I was into hibernation and logged in to say thanks for sharing such an complete experience.

Meeshakaran Madaiah

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Sad to see Kundadri being 'improved'. The memory with the old temple and the mist and howling wind stays string in the mind.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rainy Days

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by megazoid View Post
      Sad to see Kundadri being 'improved'. The memory with the old temple and the mist and howling wind stays string in the mind.
      Me too, i was tremendously disappointed to see those ugly wrought iron fences everywhere. how i wish some thoughts towards keeping it natural and aesthetically blending with the surroundings could have gone in together with safety mindset. anyway, we live in so called modern times.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiree View Post
      apart from the technicalities,your boths journeys have been one of the factors for me to book an N-ANHC (reliability), may receive the vehicle next Thursday.
      Wish you a very happy ownership of new Honda city car. Do share your review of new vehicle and ownership experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiree View Post
      I wish you many more wonderful years with Happy Car or itís worthy replacement.
      Thanks very much.
      Last edited by Nomad; 25th Aug 2018 at 10:42.

Live and let live

Awesome

I went through your thread over a period of 3 days ( on and off between office work). A very nice informative, refreshing read. You are not like other majority car owners who buy cars to park. I have never seen a petrol car which has done 2 lakh odo, congrats on that front. Congrats and best wishes to your entrepreneurship.

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rainy Days

Awesome

~1500 KMs in 4 days

After long time, i was on road for 4 continuous days, covered some 1500 KMs from Bengaluru to Malenadu to Karavali to Malabar Coast till Kozikode and then turning south eastern towards Palakkad and then to Coimbatore, returning to Bengaluru via Salem - Krishnagiri - Hosur and a Sea of Traffic from Attibele all the way to Bengaluru North.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 4.15.28 PM.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	437.7 KB 
ID:	232891

This trip got decided just three days prior to actually driving out. I had missed visiting parent's home for Ganesh Chaturthi, and celebrating 4 days of fanfare with Ganesha and cousins. Parents were enquiring whether i would visit for the Ananth Chaturdashi Puja on Sunday. Then my cousins from Sringeri called and invited me for the first Death Anniversary rituals of their mother (my Mausi or Mother's Sister) which was on saturday, So i made up my mind to drive out on Saturday morning, attend the rituals at Sringeri and then reach parent's home, attend the Puja the next day and drive back on Monday morning.

Then came another call, which required me to go to Coimbatore & Palakkad on Monday afternoon and Tuesday Forenoon, So thought about cancelling the trip to Sringeri and Udupi, but as i had already confirmed my visit, i could not. So decided to extend the trip further through coastal roads into Kerala, and made it a 4 day drive trip. It would be a solo drive.

Day 0:

Got the car wash done (RS 350/-), fixed the wiper fluid pipe, which had got cut (costed RS 250/-), inspected all tyres for any puncture and air pressure, filled the tank (38L+), Got some goodies for cousins @ Sringeri and also for Parent's home, packed the bag, checked the road conditions especially in Kerala. There were some concerns at home about the solo night drive through narrow Kerala roads, eventually a mechanism was agreed where i update the status periodically (every 30 minutes) on whatsapp or SMS, which was my SOP on solo drives all these years. It was almost 11:00 PM, by the time day ended, it was a short sleep anyway.

Day 1:

Got up by 4 AM, got ready by 4:45 AM, had a cup of tea, started the drive by 5 AM as planned. Then realized that one of the head lamps (one in front of the driver), the high beam was not getting illuminated. Decided to get it inspected at Udupi once reach. Bengaluru roads during night or early morning are a delight to drive on. Soon i drove through Hebbal, Mekhi Circle, IISC, Yeshvantpur, Goreguntepalya and got on to the elevated flyover. Paid RS 20/- toll at the end of it and drove further to Nelamangala and took left turn towards Hassan. Journey till Hassan was eventless except a breaks for Sunrise, breakfast and 4 toll plazas. I had decided to drive through Chikmagalur, hence at Hassan, took turn towards Belur, crossed Chikmagalur, Vastere, Aldur, Balehonnur, Jayapura and reached Sringeri by 11:30 AM. I had traveled over the same route some 2 months ago and had experienced rains, this time the surroundings were more greener (rain effect) and roads inside the towns had some more potholes.

Spent time at Mausi's Home from 11:30 to 3 PM, participated in prayers and rituals, interacted with cousins and family, had a lunch with all of them, fondly remembered childhood memories collected during our numerous visits to this home during vacations. It was indeed a nostalgic day. Drive from Sringeri to udupi was filled with more nostalgia, as couple of relatives joined me in the car and discussions about Yesteryears continued. Soon we descended Agumbe Ghat, crossed towns of Someshwas and Hebri and reached Udupi, and then to Parent's home.

Meanwhile i forgot about the Headlight issue, by the time i remembered, it was already 6:45 PM and most garages got closed.

Day 2:

Next day being sunday, all the garages in Udupi had holiday. I learnt that a new Honda showroom has come up in Udupi, that too had holiday. We tried some small garages, they told that as the car had HID/Projector lights, the entire unit has to be removed, opened and then the lamp has to be fixed, it would take at-least 3-4 hours of work and they can not do it on Sunday.

So after completing the puja and having a delicious meal, i drove out of parent's home by 4 PM. I have posted my journey details in this thread Mangalore to Palakkad (byepassing kannur- calicut) - Page 2 , post no 20 and 25.

Day 3:

Forenoon was spent sleeping and waiting for rest of the team to arrive at Coimbatore Airport. Afternoon, we made a trip to Palakkad and returned by the evening.

Day 4:
      Forenoon was spent at work, meanwhile car AC had stopped working previous day. so our host at Coimbatore took us to a AC mechanic, the drive took 45 minutes, while fixing the issue took just 5 minutes. He even refused to take any money, told me that some socket had got opened and he just plugged it. I thanked him and after my insistence, he accepted RS 100/-as tips. I was glad that issue got fixed without much time being spent on it.

We started our journey towards Bengaluru by 3:15 PM, it was a non stop drive as colleagues who were accompanying me did not want to stop even for a tea/coffee break. We reached Electronic City Toll by 8 PM and colleagues got down and took cabs through nice road. I drove through the sea of traffic and reached home after another 2 hours, thus ending the 4 day trip.

One of the pre-trip concern was Rains, i did encounter rains between Kozikode and Coimbatore (during night drive) and Palakkad to Coimbatore (monday evening). I heard that Bengaluru received more rains on Monday/Tuesday than what i experienced.

Somewhere during the onward journey, the ODOmeter crossed 209999. It took Happy Car, 9 years 4 months to reach here. I still need to fix the headlight issue, which i will do this week. My colleague also suggested and insisted that i put in a multi tone, loud horn. I am yet to make up my mind on that. Another trip to Karavali has been planned for Mid October, till then ....

Linea MJD at 1.4Lakh kms

Awesome

Got some goodies for cousins @ Sringeri
      Don't get me wrong: do you gift somebody when your visit is associated with death?

We started our journey towards Bengaluru by 3:15 PM, it was a non stop drive as colleagues who were accompanying me did not want to stop even for a tea/coffee break. We reached Electronic City Toll by 8 PM
      Did you actually drive non-stop about 5 hours?
      I hardly can drive for 2 hours non-stop.

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rainy Days

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by limraj View Post
      Don't get me wrong:
      Not at all.

do you gift somebody when your visit is associated with death?
      I am told, there is a custom, that the maternal uncle will gift his nephews once they complete the 12th/13th day rituals of their mother/ his sister. This custom is associated with symbolism that tells the nephews that they have done their duties in the right manner and the maternal uncle continues to treat them (his sister's kids) similar to his own kids. Other than this custom, there is no other custom to gift somebody when there is a death.

I never gifted my cousins, i took some eatables (snacks, cookies. etc) as during my previous three visits to their house i could not take any goodies as there were either hospitalization or death. I do not know when will be my next visit to their home would be, as both my mausi and uncle are no longer alive.

Did you actually drive non-stop about 5 hours?
      Yes, many times, even inside Bengaluru i have driven continuously for 5.5. hours once from Intel bellandur to my home in Bengaluru north due to traffic and rains

some of my non stop drives are

Tirunelveli to Bengaluru
      Madurai to Bengaluru
      Puducherry to Bengaluru
      Velankani to Bengaluru
      Chennai to Bengaluru
      Coimbatore to Bengaluru
      Palakkad to Bengaluru
      Cochin to Bengaluru
      Udupi to Bengaluru
      Ankola/Karwar to Bengaluru
      Belgavi to Bengaluru
      Hubli to Bengaluru
      Hyderabad to Bengaluru
      Madikeri-Mysuru-Bengaluru

Most of the time, return trips during night are mostly home-runs, non stop.

Some pics from the trip, put into a collage...

Name:	pixlr_20180927110004506.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	4.59 MB 
ID:	232892

Name:	IMG-20180927-WA0009.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	165.8 KB 
ID:	232893Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20180927-WA0010.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	258.8 KB 
ID:	232894Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20180927-WA0011.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	193.3 KB 
ID:	232895Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20180927-WA0012.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	167.6 KB 
ID:	232896

Last edited by Nomad; 27th Sep 2018 at 18:45.

Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3745464748 LastLast

Thread Information