• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Home Audio Discussion Thread

dubbu dubbu dubbu

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
      I find Onkyo is one of the VFM home theater and I am using it for more than 5 years.

I find BOSE to be over priced not sure whether it deserves that price tag
      +1 to that..

I too have an Onkyo 5.1 set-up at home for the past 2 years, and it is very good..
      "Sailors work like horses at sea and spend their money like asses ashore.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ECLIPSE CD7200 MKII / KENWOOD KOS-A300 / DYNAUDIO ESOTEC 242 / HELIX P-400 / ULTIMO SC 12 / JBL GTO 751EZ / MONSTER XLN 402 / GLADEN CINCH ZERO / GLADEN 11 & 13 GAUGE / DAMPMAT / FOCAL 4 GAUGE AMP WIRING KIT

aka cmsajith

Awesome

Happy to see people getting serious about home audio / video. I may not be able to comment whether Bose is better or recommend some other brand, also I believe nobody can, as the perception about audio-video is different for different people. It purely depends on your priority for these. Also, in audio-video, unless we experience a better presentation, the equipment we own will be the best and we will be happy with that. Its a pro in one sense but a con in other sense, its the basic human nature to find the current setup inadequate when we are exposed to a better one.

I had once heard old gen Bose stereo speaker and was pretty good. But with the new gen, they have changed the product placement strategy or the target in the market. Its a LIFESTYLE product and the importance is more towards the finish (not fit and finish) and the compactness and the convenience, then comes the sound. Anyone can say blindly that its impossible to recreate the full spectrum of sound from a tiny speaker. Moreover, sound reproduction doesnt end with recreation of full spectrum, a lot of factors will come into picture like the tonal correctness or accuracy of sound, the speed, how a speaker can transfer the emotion or what the composer wants to convey etc., leave aside the sound stage or all those stuff.

Before commenting on the VFM factor about the Bose @50% , you have to set a rough budget and your priority on the convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Skynet View Post
      1. Is it a wise decision to buy different components from different manufacturers? (i,e speakers from one and Amps from some other manufacturer).
      2. What are the factors one should consider while buying audio systems?.
      3. How good are Indian manufactureres like Norge Audio,Sonodyne,Lithos,Telome,Audire etc?
      4. Which brands are worth price and which are over-priced?
      There is no hard and fast rule that somebody can comment on. There are several integrated amps that can outperform a Pre-Power amp combo. Also getting the amps-speakers or HTIBs / combos will not assure you the best performance, its supposed to be the best out of that combination. The best part in mix and match is the option for upgrading, more than that, you will get the best one according to your taste / ears, assuming the compatibility part is taken care of.

I would suggest you set a rough budget and priority for music-movies, then listen to as many setups as you can (10-20% below and above your budget), dont limit to any specific brand or equipment (let the Onkyos/Yamahas/Sonodynes/Norges/Lithos,Telome,Audire rest for a while). Now a days auditioning is not a problem, also dont think about the acoustics in the demo room and your room, acoustics is independent of the speakers/equipment. By this you will be able to get a benchmark or will give you an idea whether to review your budget. Probably you may have to increase your budget (or can reduce also) to get a system which you may like (better than repenting later or to avoid any immediate upgrade), Thumb rule is to get the best which is possible for YOU at that time.
      Last edited by CMS; 19th Nov 2012 at 08:32.

Up and Running

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Skynet View Post
      I am not getting anything this year. Room size is 12x12. Usage will be 40% TV,35% Music, 25% Movies. I don't know what kind of setup is required for me.
      You can invest in phases in home audio. I recommend to start with a good 5.1 AVR and F+R speakers. Use it in stereo mode. That would suffice for all but the movies.

12x12 (square) is not ideal for HT...you might get quite a bit of acoustical problems.
      Running away from your problem is a race you will never win
      My Vision through Camera :- https://www.facebook.com/VisionThroughCamera

Veethi.co.in
      The Terminator

Awesome

Price list of Lithos Acoustics products of the year 2012.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lithos Price List 2012 .pdf  

Last edited by Skynet; 20th Nov 2012 at 20:36.
      Rabid Dog Club - Bite First, Bark Later.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

I had purchased an HT from ProFx last year. Bought it from barton center on MG road. They had a nice package on sale, its Polk Audio RM 705 5.1 speakers and a Denon AVR-1312 receiver. They also gave me a pair of free denon headphones worth 3k for free. Total cost of the whole thing excluding wiring was 42k. The wiring came to 1600 bucks. The delivery was done the next day along with installation. The guy who installed it did a neat job too.

I compared this to the basic 25k onkyo system as well the the higher end ~45k onkyo systems in the onkyo showroom in the same building. The polk speakers just blow the onkyo away. The main advantage in the polk that I see is that all the 5 speakers are 2 way unlike some of the onkyo systems for the same price. The difference in quality can be easily felt. All in all I am really happy with my purchase and the sound.

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

I'm currently planning to procure a A/V receiver to power up my Monitor Audio Bronze Series BX6 towers, BX Center & Pioneer satellites (bundled with Pioneer 316 receiver). Till now I've been running these off with a very basic Pioneer SX-316 receiver . My usage will be 70% music & 30% movies. After reading many reviews & articles I narrowed down on 2 receiver brands. Marantz & NAD. I'm more inclined towards Marantz due to its musicality. I was looking 2 models from Marantz either SR5007/SR5006/SR5005 or SR6007/SR6006/SR6005. In NAD I was looking for either NADT757 or 748 receiver. Marantz costd much lesser than NAD & seems to be VFM IMO. My Monitor Audio tower supports Bi-Amping & has separate HPF & LPF terminals. I'm planning to go for a 5.1 setup only, so I'm planning to use the 6 & 7th channels from the receiver & bi-amp the towers.

Marantz SR5007 churns out 100W (20Hz - 20kHz, 0.08% THD, 2ch driven) & SR6007 churns out 110W (20Hz - 20kHz, 0.08% THD, 2ch driven). The recommended amplifier power rating for the Monitor Audio BX6 is 40 - 150 W. Now I want to know if I bi-amp my towers with either 100Wx2 or 110Wx2 per channel, will I be overpowering the towers ? Will it cause any damage to them ? If its fine, can speakers be over powered ? With very little knowledge I've, what I understand is supplying ample power to the drivers will help them perform with their fullest potential. Why I ask this question is, I get crazy at times when I listen to music & may crank up volume more than 75% and my casual listening is at 50% volume.

Also I'm using the sub which I got bundled with Pioneer SX-316 receiver. Its a passive sub & gets powered from the receiver only. Is there any way I can use this sub until I get my next opportunity to upgrade to a proper powered sub ? It has only a +/- terminal which will be connected to receiver. It doesn't have a RCA connector which is required to connect a sub to the A/V receivers like Marantz. Or will the bass from the Towers (when I bi-amp) will be sufficient ? I'm not a fan of boom boom bass. I'm more inclined towards SQ. As long as I've sufficient lows to blend well with the music, I'm happy.

Need opinion from experts for the same. Tagging experts cmsajith, Digital Vampire, matbhuvi, Kittu, Skynet.
      Last edited by Lvramanan; 24th Dec 2012 at 06:04.

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Maruti Swift 1.3L VXi [SOLD]
      Maruti 800 Std [SOLD]
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio
      HH Splendour NXG [SOLD]
      Yamaha RX100 [SOLD]

aka cmsajith

Awesome

For a 70% music purpose I wound not suggest an AV receiver, if you want serious listening, a 2 channel integrated/power amp+pre will be the best choice. Following are my choices:

- If you have budget, go for a good AV processor/pre + a good 2 channel power amp for Front L/R + another 5 channel power amp to power the C/Surrounds. Also add a 2 channel pre connected to the 2 channel power amp thru a good source (either a CD player / a bit-perfect PC + DAC) so that you will get the best for both Music and Movies. An AV processor can be replaced with an AV receiver with pre-outs if you have budget limit (there will be performance hit) but you can upgrade later if you want. This setup will give you a lot of flexibility. This is the path I had followed in my setup.

- If you are looking only for an AV Receiver for both music n movies, I would suggest Marantz for a slightly brighter\airy sound (Monitor Audio speakers are slightly forward with a fuller sound) and NAD for a typical NAD fluid and thick sound (dont know I am able to convey my thoughts properly). In any case, ask for a home demo or get the speakers to the dealer and have an audition and then choose the best one for your taste as nobody can suggest some equipment to somebody in audio, if so then its upto your luck and wasting your time, I never believe in suggestions wrt the equipment unless I hear it.

Powering a speaker depends on a lot of factors. Any amp with 40watt can power those speakers, but the quality power makes a lot of difference. The difference a high powered amps can make is that it can drive the speakers authoritatively esp. on very dynamic tracks. Its always better have the amp's power equal to or slightly more than the speaker rating (leave out the very high sensitive speakers), but the sad part is that the quality comes only with money.

For your existing passive sub, an amp is required to power it up. So connect it either thru' a new mono amp or your pioneer receiver (if it supports a sub analog-in and your new receiver supports sub out, but you need to try out).

Bass, again it depends on individual taste. I never prefer using a sub for serious listening (provided the floorstanders are good in producing the freq sprectrum w/o sacrificing anything), a good floorstander will be far better wrt fast/accurate and a pleasing deep bass, which I prefer in music, I connect the sub only when I listen to some instrumental music or something similar which can go very deep (~30Hz or less).

Note : Please let us know your budget.
      Last edited by CMS; 24th Dec 2012 at 09:14.

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

Thanks for the detailed suggestion cmsajith.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsajith View Post
      Note : Please let us know your budget.
      Currently I'm planning around 50 to 60K for the A/V Receiver. One of my friend is returning from Dubai & with Dubai fest & year end sale on the way, I have to see If I can work out choice which suits me.

Here are the specs of my Bronze BX6 towers

Frequency Response +/- 3dB: 34Hz - 30kHz
      Sensitivity (1W@1m): 90 dB
      Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
      Power Handling (RMS): 150 W
      Recommended Amplifier Requirements (RMS): 40 - 150 W
      Cabinet Design: Dual chamber bass reflex – Ported front and rear. HiVeŽII port technology
      Drive Unit Complement:
      2 x 165mm (6 1/2") C-CAMŽ bass drivers.
      1 x 165mm (6 1/2") C-CAMŽ bass mid-range driver.
      1 x 25 mm (1") gold dome C-CAMŽ tweeter

Crossover Frequency:
      LF: -6dB @ 600Hz
      MF/HF: 3.4kHz

When I was auditioning this at the Dealer shop, He was driving these with a Marantz (don't remember the exact model name) it was producing sufficient bass which was more to my liking & the detail was pretty good.

If you have budget, go for a good AV processor/pre + a good 2 channel power amp for Front L/R + another 5 channel power amp to power the C/Surrounds. Also add a 2 channel pre connected to the 2 channel power amp thru a good source (either a CD player / a bit-perfect PC + DAC) so that you will get the best for both Music and Movies. An AV processor can be replaced with an AV receiver with pre-outs if you have budget limit (there will be performance hit) but you can upgrade later if you want. This setup will give you a lot of flexibility.
      I too started with stereo receivers & ended up in compromising with Marantz A/V receivers as they tend to bridge between the both worlds. I have majority of my music collection as MP3's & just now I've realised the depth in Uncompressed FLAC & WAV. So with the collection I felt stereo receivers might not get the best & hence settled with A/V Receiver. Because of Marantz receiver's musical nature with emphasize on Mid & high range. If you can suggest me some models & the approximate rates, it would help to decide & tweak my budget accordingly.

Bass, again it depends on individual taste. I never prefer using a sub for serious listening (provided the floorstanders are good in producing the freq sprectrum w/o sacrificing anything), a good floorstander will be far better wrt fast/accurate and a pleasing deep bass, which I prefer in music, I connect the sub only when I listen to some instrumental music or something similar which can go very deep (~30Hz or less).
      For now I'll negate the sub from the equation & will add if I feel I need more punch.

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Maruti 800 Std [SOLD]
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio
      HH Splendour NXG [SOLD]
      Yamaha RX100 [SOLD]

SELLING MY BELOVED HOME
      THEATER AND GAMING CONSOLE

Awesome

Lvramanan, Do not go by the power specs of marantz. No way in reality it is going to shell out 100w in stereo mode. I think max it can go up to 65w at 1% THD...

Bi-amp will give you more db gain and improve the transients. But I would certainly second cmsajith , going the pre-power way is best.

If your friend is coming from Dubai and you are still planning to go the AVR route.

Here is some deal :
      Yamaha BDS667 BLU-RAY Disc PLAYER - BD-S667 BLK BLU-RAY DISC PLAYER Model No. BDS667 Black

Denon AVR-3312-BK

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

Thanks Kittu. I'm interested to look at the pre-power route. I'm completely noob in this. If you don't mind, Can you please explain a bit more on detail on that ? I will try to understand & throw questions here & there

Mahindra XUV 500
      Maruti 800 Std [SOLD]
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio
      HH Splendour NXG [SOLD]
      Yamaha RX100 [SOLD]

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information