• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Home Audio Discussion Thread

SELLING MY BELOVED HOME
      THEATER AND GAMING CONSOLE

Awesome

Well in simple analogy a preamp gives voltage gain for amplification and further processing , and a power amp gives current gain which is needed to drive the loud speakers. There are tons and tons of articles to confuse you online.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a vitamin dose

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Ahem...ahem! I came here looking for some simple english answers to help me understand, decide and buy a decent home theater or music entertainment system for around 25-28k. What I am reading here is a thesis on music and sound. Any simple suggestion in terms of products and recommendations....without complicating it with tonnes or technicalities

I am not an ICE fanatic, but would like a super home audio system for TV, and movies mostly with bit of songs.

AWOL

Awesome

My setup:

Source : Computer with 800GB of FLACs
      DACs : Objective DAC, m2Tech hiFace -> Zero DAC 2009
      Preamp : Lyrita Audio Lync valve preamp
      Amps : China EL84 tube amp , Musical Fidelity A100
      Headhone : Audio Technica ATH-W5000 Raffinato
      Speakers : ProAc Tablette 2 bookshelves
      Interconnects : MX Orange OFC with gold plated plugs
      SPeaker Cable : Kimber Kable 8TC

Currently no space, everything cramped up

Last edited by SunnyBoi; 27th Dec 2012 at 22:48.
      Fiat Palio 1.6 S10
      Yamaha RX165 5-Speed | Yamaha RXZ | Yamaha RD350 | HH Karizma | Honda NSR150SP

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
      800GB of FLACs

What collection do you've ? Hindi, Tamil, English ?
      Last edited by KRRaj; 3rd Jan 2013 at 08:18. Reason: All mentions of piracy out... :)

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

SELLING MY BELOVED HOME

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
      Currently no space, everything cramped up
      Thou the setup looks like cluster fxxx, I can vouch for the sound quality looking at the components.

Would love to catch up with you some time for a small listening session.
      Last edited by KRRaj; 3rd Jan 2013 at 08:18. Reason: All mentions of piracy out... :)

AWOL

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Lvramanan View Post

What collection do you've ? Hindi, Tamil, English ?
      Its 99.9% Old English Songs.

Most of the songs I have them on a 1TB USB3.0 external HDD, Only Hindi albums I have with me are Rangeela and Sagar.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittu View Post
      Thou the setup looks like cluster fxxx, I can vouch for the sound quality looking at the components.

Would love to catch up with you some time for a small listening session.
      Sure, anytime. Speakers sound bad in the current room Gonna shift them back to my hometown after I get a power amp and a phono.
      Last edited by KRRaj; 3rd Jan 2013 at 08:19. Reason: All mentions of piracy out... :)
      Fiat Palio 1.6 S10
      Yamaha RX165 5-Speed | Yamaha RXZ | Yamaha RD350 | HH Karizma | Honda NSR150SP

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

After going through your suggestions, read some articles on the benefits of separates. At the same time have some queries on your suggestions cmsajith. Can you please clarify ?

Quote Originally Posted by cmsajith View Post
      If you have budget, go for a good AV processor/pre
      Found 2 brands of Pre / Processor in my budget. Integra DHC-40.2 & Marantz AV7005. In my past listening experience I like the sound signature of Marantz so I'm planning to stick with Marantz AV7005 Processor. Is that a good processor ? Your opinions on that please.

a good 2 channel power amp for Front L/R + another 5 channel power amp to power the C/Surrounds.
      Should it be necessarily a separate stereo amp & 5 channel amp ? Can I go with a single 7 channel power amplifier instead of going for 2 separate amps here ? I've shortlisted Marantz MM7055 power amplifier here which checks the right boxes for me. Also I feel it will go well with the Marantz AV7005 processor.

Understood till this point what you've said. Now the why part...

Also add a 2 channel pre connected to the 2 channel power amp thru a good source (either a CD player / a bit-perfect PC + DAC) so that you will get the best for both Music and Movies.
      When there's a AV processor/pre, why should we need a 2 channel pre separately ? Will the AV processor not be sufficient ? Or a 2 channel stereo pre will over weigh the AV processor for stereo processing ? Can you please enlighten me ? Currently I've a basic Philips CD player which I'm thinking to upgrade to Oppo BDP 95 universal player in future. But its cost is on the higher side & my other upgrade priorities stop me from going near to it. Or If that player route doesn't work out, I may take another route of purchasing a HRT Streamer II paired with either PC / Phone. The latter will have a plenty of flexibility to play a variety of content. That too after seeing Mi10 (Praveen's) recent exploration on this way, it is triggering me to try that out. It works out to be way lot cheaper than the Oppo. Will that be good enough compared to Oppo or any other player ?

An AV processor can be replaced with an AV receiver with pre-outs if you have budget limit (there will be performance hit) but you can upgrade later if you want.
      What sort of a performance hit will be there ? Actually in some sites this is one option (A/V Receivers as Pre & separate Power Amps) provided as A/V receivers tend to be loaded with features & at the same time cost much lower, when compared to a equivalent Processor with same features. The reason why I ask is, if I take this route, I can first get the receiver & power up & run for now. In the next upgrade phase, I can get the power amp & hook it with the A/V receivers Pre-outs.

Kittu & other experts, feel free to pour in your thoughts as well. Thanks !
      Last edited by Lvramanan; 30th Dec 2012 at 18:59.

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

cmsajith & Kittu, can you please clarify my query when you've time. Thanks in advance

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

Guys, pls keep mention of Piracy out of public threads pls... Hope you guys understand
      "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

SELLING MY BELOVED HOME

Awesome

Pre-processor, has no amplification. It just does digital decoding, bass management/eq, source selection and volume gain. Which also is typical with AVRs with analog pre-outs.

Coming to the brands there are plenty in the market , what works well with your speakers is important.

Adding a AVR + Preamp + Power amp is not needed. AV receiver with analog out works like a pre-amp but will depend on the decoding capabilities of your source (Oppo/DAC/etc)

Receiver (vs Separates):
      ---------
      Advantages:
      - cost (cheaper as there are no duplicate parts such as power supplies, etc)
      - convenience of an all-in-one unit
      Disadvantages:
      - cheaper build quality and components (usually) than comparable separates
      - a single point of failure and no possibility to upgrade the preamp/processor (where technology evolves very quickly) while keeping the amp (old amps work just fine in modern setups)
      - in cheaper receivers, potential for interference from the amp section, which may degrade sound quality

Shoot back with more Q's (Some points of source is from av forums).
      Last edited by Kittu; 3rd Jan 2013 at 08:32.

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information