• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: After Market Lighting Upgrades

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Cops don need to see them working..Sometimes the very sight of them on your car can land you in trouble..Actually i almost put em Light forces on my car..But a friend lost them to "light fingered" thieves within hours of him fixing it on his car.So for the time being i ve shelved that plan..22 k can get me a lot other things ..
      "I LIVE TO TRIP"

Awesome

Team, We should not use 100/130 or even 90/100 on common roads. Its heavy and will make the opposite vehicle drive difficult. This is how all the people are shifting to new powerful lights and makes a lot of problems
      "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://gearheads.in/post21300.html#p21300
      Arun Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:16 pm[/url]]Team, We should not use 100/130 or even 90/100 on common roads. Its heavy and will make the opposite vehicle drive difficult. This is how all the people are shifting to new powerful lights and makes a lot of problems
      Stock are in-adequate and add to that these HEAVY POWER lamps people are using, it is impossible to drive with stock head lights
      2005 BAJAJ PULSAR DTSi 150 ES
      2006 BAJAJ DISCOVER DTSi 125 ES
      2010 JAN' MARUTI SUZUKI SWIFT LDi

Angry OLD man...!
      Diesel'd O_o

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://gearheads.in/post21112.html#p21112
      rippergeo Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:02 pm[/url]]
      HIDs were expensive and... Illegal.
      Are you sure ?
      Many cars come with HID's as OEM. Merc's , BMW's, even Skoda's

Stock lights were reaaaallly inadequate especially keeping in mind that my dad hates to use hi-beam to blind people.
      He'd rather let the hi-beam moron pass than to try to blind him. He was really having a tough time with the 55/60 stock lamps. So it was upgraded to 100/130 within a week.
      I got HID's for my dad's Swift as the 130/100's were a bit too "hot" (it was a bit hazy near the bulb as dad have 50/50 day/night usage)
      In my friend's swift which had the same 130/100 the reflector burned a little (a small brown patch near the bulb)
      This was a "driver" driven car and during night driving instead of using dim and bright the chap will pull the "headlight flash" and that will make both the filaments to glow at the same time in effect making 100 and the 130 to glow together.

Anyway the main thing is the reflector is plastic rather than metal.
      In my Zen the lights are 130/100 and is fine even after years of use.(here the reflector is metal )

I went in for Philips 6k (color temperature) price was 8750 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2873.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	6850
      (including 500 for the install) +LED lights for parking lamp 250 = 9k .
      Contrary to popular belief the light is not blinding, however the beam spread is nice and is very good even in "dim"

I don't think its too expensive as a fried reflector is 3.5k per piece so 2 lights = 7k
      Anyway if you don't have too much night driving its not really required I guess.

My dad considering his almost 50/50 day/night driving I think its money well spent. Now he is not even complaining about night driving and enjoys them it seems.

Team, We should not use 100/130 or even 90/100 on common roads. Its heavy and will make the opposite vehicle drive difficult. This is how all the people are shifting to new powerful lights and makes a lot of problems
      Not really even a "stock" 60w hi-beam can blind the oncoming traffic. People simply does't have the common sense to use lights properly. I've seen old chaps / young chaps / professional drivers simply oblivious to the fact that they are using hi-beam even on well lit roads. I usually slow down when faced by these idiots. Some times in narrow streets if I come up against them, I simply switch off my lights and don't give way as I can't see the sides of the road. When the moron honks and asks "what the hell are you doing ?" I simply reply saying I can't see as he is in hi-beam.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2862.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	6851  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2863.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	6852  

Name:	IMG_2864.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	6853  

Name:	IMG_2865.JPG 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	6854  

Name:	IMG_2868.JPG 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	6855  

Rabid Dog Club - bite first, bark later

1997 - Yamaha RxZ
      2003 - 2003 OHC vtec (AKA The Boat) - Blackworked ;) - Sold
      2012 - Schwinn Frontier Elite
      2012 - KTM Duke 200
      2016 - Honda City VX(o) BL - Diesel (AKA Diesel Boat)

Awesome

that photo of the car with the headlights is useless. You have to sit in the car and click pictures of the road infront not the headlights.No hardfeelings

HID without projectors , the light is scattered all over the place.

I also could have gone for the HID , but the projectors were expensive so dropped the idea.

Angry OLD man...!
      Diesel'd O_o

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://gearheads.in/post21312.html#p21312
      pulsar_swift Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:47 pm[/url]]that photo of the car with the headlights is useless. You have to sit in the car and click pictures of the road infront not the headlights.No hardfeelings
      HID without projectors , the light is scattered all over the place.
      I also could have gone for the HID , but the projectors were expensive so dropped the idea.
      I know that is just to show the color of the lights. I can't take any more photos now as I'm 730km from the car.
      Will definitely take a in-car pic next time I'm home.

Really don't agree. On what basis do you say light from HID is scattered ?
      Normal Halogen's have an light un-scattering device ?
      HID's looks the same runs on gas instead of a tungsten filament and is 3 times brighter compared to halogens.
      Even the size and the "place" it sits in the headlight assembly is exactly the same.
      So the light scattering theory does't really hold water.

Even if the "scattering" theory is taken at face value. HID's have 3 times the light intensity to scatter.
      So in that case halogen will have more "loss" compared to HID's.
      Meaning more light will be on the road in case of HID's than halogen's.

Logic seems fair ? Right ?
      I have the thing installed, you see.

1997 - Yamaha RxZ
      2012 - KTM Duke 200

Awesome

@yzfrj..Has your dad driven in the rains with em HIDs??How was the visibility??
      "I LIVE TO TRIP"

Awesome

As you already said HID has 3 times more light, see the below images and let me know your comments

Coming to the HID vs HALOGEN.

Most halogen headlights use reflector type housing. Light from a halogen bulb is directed out to the reflective pieces of the headlight housing and than reflected onto the road, whereas the lighting from an HID bulb is focused directly onto the road. If the HID bulbs are put into a reflective type housing the light will be directed incorrectly and the focus of the HID bulbs are misdirected as well. In this case the light is being directed elsewhere and actually being directed onto other motorists.
      Attached Images Attached Images   

Angry OLD man...!
      Diesel'd O_o

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by 1001bhp
      @yzfrj..Has your dad driven in the rains with em HIDs??How was the visibility??
      Yup. I've used them in rain seems really good (I was expecting worse due to 6k color)
      I use the halogen fog lamps too in rain
      Fog I have not yet, but I have a funny feeling it would be worse compared to Halogen.

Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://gearheads.in/post21318.html#p21318
      pulsar_swift Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:26 pm[/url]]
      Coming to the HID vs HALOGEN.

Most halogen headlights use reflector type housing.
      As I said I have the thing installed. If you think HID's does't have the reflecting thingy you are mistaken.
      Please see the pics posted earlier.
      Again the reflecting thingy is to avoid glare as well as to protect the plastic "lens" (from heat) in new gen cars.
      Don't believe me ? Ask around you will see.

There is no question Projectors are nice.
      But we are comparing Stock headlights with HID's and Halogens.

So the pic you have given does't serve much purpose here.

FYI : There is no separate "filaments" or stuff in the case of HID. As I said there is a reflector like thingy that moves up and down (electrically actuated) to dip the beam.

Please don't argue just for the sake of it. What you are saying defies logic.
      Scattering in a stock headlight unit is same, right ?

We are just changing the bulb that has more power (meaning you have more light)
      We are not changing the "scattering factor" as you are placing the bulb at the exact same point.

So which do you think will have more light ?
      Halogen which produces less light compared to HID. (No arguments here eh ?)

If you say Halogen, the logic just ain't right and I ain't gonna say much.

Or are you simply saying HID's got much more light to loose than a Halogen as HID's are brighter
      How's that ?

1997 - Yamaha RxZ
      2012 - KTM Duke 200

Awesome

I am not arguing.

You are not reading the posts carefully.

If the HID bulbs are put into a reflective type housing the light will be directed incorrectly and the focus of the HID bulbs are misdirected as well

This what you exactly did, replaced the halogens with HIDs and retained the reflective type housing. Either you have to fabricate a non reflective housing or use projectors.

You have to google it and you will find the answers. HIDs are bad at focusing,instead of focusing on the road, the light is scattered all over the place.

I am not saying HIDs(after loss) are less brighter than Halogens.

Using HID without projectors is very painful for the oncoming traffic. Here halogens(even high power) are less painful compared to HIDs

Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread Information