• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: The Indian Classical Music Thread

Veethi.co.in
      The Terminator

Awesome

The Indian Classical Music Thread

This is a dedicated thread for the discussion related Indian Classical Music (Carnatic & Hindusthani).

Now listening to

Rabid Dog Club - Bite First, Bark Later.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

No wonder there are no replies...

Although above video is not the purest form of the Indian Classical Music, But Shanker Tucker does a lot more to make it popular to laymen like us. It's a form of fusion music instead. from childhood, I had the privilege to be in the liaison of this form o worship - worship of Music in its classical form.

I play tabla...and been learning from different Gurujis for the last ~22 Years, starting from my Dad. I love more the way it was originated rather than the "customized" forms of it which pulls more crowd nowadays.

Anyways... wish to find more like-minded ppl in this forum.
      Cheers,
      Neil.

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

Would like to see more updates in this threads as I am big fan of classical music and keep listening some classical music oftentimes. Ghazals are favorite but I listen extreme classicals in same frequency. Though my ability of identifying the genre/raga-type is not anything to mention about.

Sarod Symphony, Truth and Reincarnation are one of latest albums in my collection. These are Very nice instrumental albums by Amzad Ali khan and sons. Very nice and refreshing mix of extreme classical ragas and western instruments makes these albums good fusion.

If by Niladri Kumar is another good blend.

I also have albums of many other famous Indian masters which includes Jakir hussain, Pt. Jasraj, Hariprasad Chaurasiya, Pt. Bhimsen Joshi, Pt. Shivkumar Sharma...and list is very long.

My father used to be and still is fan of Jagjit Singh. I also used to hear lot of Ghazals by Pankaj Udhas and Anoop Jalota in my childhood. Later when I became able to buy music, I started collecting Ghazals by these. Now I have a huge collection of Jagjit singh, Pankaj Udhas, Ghulam Ali and some Ghazals by Mehandi Hasan. Also have some Chitra Singh Ghazals. Hariharan is also one of my favorite. Ghazals are like addiction for me, once I start listening, I keep playing them for many days regularly.

In the sufi/Ghazals/folks, Abida praveen is my favorite. Than I also like Farida Khanam, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Munni Begham, Noor Jahan etc and have some collection of their tracks as well.
      Last edited by Jack Sparrow; 30th Jan 2013 at 17:10.

Veethi.co.in
      The Terminator

Awesome

Although above video is not the purest form of the Indian Classical Music
      Completely agree sir.
      Rabid Dog Club - Bite First, Bark Later.

Awesome

I wrote an experimental blog last year. Thought of sharing it here:

Once upon a time I used to love metal rock...: Commercializing Indian Classical Music
      Cheers,
      Neil.

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

Wonderful album for Urdu shayari/ghazal fans:

Tera Bayaan Ghalib S Now Available ] | J a g j i t S i n g h | C h i t r a S i n g h

"Gulzar Pays tribute to legendary singer Jagjit Singh with a nazm that is included in new album “Tera Bayaan Ghalib” – The album features letters of Mirza Ghalib recited/enacted by Gulzar and Ghalib nazms in the voice of Jagjit Singh"

I had Ghazals album earlier but yesterday got this one as well because it includes letters of Mirza Ghalib dictated by Gulzar between each ghazal. Have been listening from last night.

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

As usual, no updates in this thread.

Anyways, recently I was watching some live musical concert on TV by L Subramaniam and team and I loved the music they were playing. I have some older tracks of Subramaniam but those are on extreme classical side. The music was being payed in the concert was mixed with some fusion. I wasn't aware that it was from his one of older album.

I forgot the program and yesterday one of my friend returned back from Delhi to whom I told sometime back to get some music CDs of Indian classicals. And to my surprise one of the CD has the track played in the concert was also there in the album

Album name is : Stephane Grappelli & L. Subramaniam: Conversations
      The track I was looking for was : Don't Leave Me

Now enjoying the album since last night

burp!

Awesome

Chanced upon this thread. Hardly any updates.

I love pure classical - Hindustani vocal mostly: Khayals to be specific.

But my current post is about a Jugalbandi - Ustad Amjad Ali Khan & Lalgudi Jayaraman. My uncle used to have the LP record of this and is lost now. If anyone of you have a CD, I would like to have it

I'd built up a huge collection of cassettes with me, now I dont know what to do with these. Dont have any good cassette to CD conversion centre here in Palakkad.

Awesome

accidentally presses "lol" button. reported the post. Soon it would be undone. Apologize.
      Cheers,
      Neil.

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

Recordings of Indian classical music available on Prasar Bharti Archives website in AudioCD and DVD formats.

Link: Prasar Bharati Archives

Thread Information