• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • View Poll Results: What car do you have?

Voters
    87. You may not vote on this poll
    • Petrol

33 37.93%
    • Diesel

40 45.98%
    • Both

14 16.09%
    • Some other

0 0%
    Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Petrol Car or Diesel Car?

Brio SMT

Secret

Government is not doing anything for petrol cars I am not surprised with the numbers. I am sure 60% are diesel because of mileage and cheaper prices. My next car will also be petrol. I am not sure about maintenance. I hope my car can last upto 100 thousand km because they recommend 6months service for petrol cars too

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
      if you keep a car for say 5-7 years then the maintenance of a Diesel is bound to hit you.
      My car is a 14 year old 5 cylinder diesel 2,5 TDI. The only maintanence I have had on the diesel engine has been filters, motor oil and timing belts. The injectors and glow plugs are the original ones from the factory and still runs happily after 293,000 km.

GT Power!!

Awesome

Great post! Gives a real perspective. Being a petrolhead myself, I like when Petrol wins!
      But one thing, since the petrol guy gets ROI from FD, should nt we add some ROI for the diesel guy by putting the money he saves in fuel costs, into an RD. That will give more balanced comprision I believe.
      Of course those who like diesel for torque etc will still go for diesel. But this calculation will massively help people who are confused between petrol and diesel and the main or sole reason for confusion is the fuel cost of petrol vs diesel as well as the price of diesel cars vs petrol cars. So unless you really want diesel car, or if your monthly running is like a freight train, you can go for petrol.
      I was in a similar dilemma once 2 years ago, but I negated this confusion by fixing my budget. It was 6 lacs. So my confusion was diesel Figo vs Petrol Fiesta Classic. Because my daily running was 100 kph. So Figo was a no brainer, but my confusion was between the joy I will be forgoing if I go for Figo (w.r.t. Fiesta petrol) vs the money I will save with Figo diesel
      Thanks,
      Ragesh G R
      ---------------------------------------
      2015 Volkswagen Polo GT TSI
      2014 TVS Wego
      2007 Hyundai Santro Xing XL AT
      2002 TVS Scooty
      1989 Kawasaki Bajaj KB 100 RTZ

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Present price difference between petrol and diesel is less than 8 rupees. Petrol is more practical option now. Diesel might be logical only for guys with very heavy running.

Both cars are fun to drive, albeit in a different way.

Diesels can never be fun on high revss while a high revving petrol would love to pull and pull to redline. Turbo petrol is a different territory.

Now for the guys who wish to mod, diesel is a practical choice. Torquey diesel engines are very easy to mod and much more cheaper compared to NA petrol mods.

Hungry

If it's economics which drives you then there is a great calculator by Arvind. and you don't need to read further.

But if it's about thrill within budget (15 lacs), then diesels are winner.

There are some petrol cars with turbo. You can test drive them too. i.e. Ford Ecosport, Baleno RS, VW Polo GT TSI and Fiat Abarth Punto and then drive Diesel S-Cross 1.6 and Creta 1.6 CRDi.

Thanks

Awesome

I have both cars.
      i10 1.1L petrol
      XUV 2.2L Diesel VGT.

It seems cars have switches places compared to a decade or two ago. Earlier, our dads used to prefer Petrol for Highway cruising, Better performance etc.
      Old diesels were slow, cranky and noisy. Very poor acceleration.

Now we (Atleast me) prefer diesels for highway performance. The torque is tremendous, and Turbo kick is VERY addictive. Also, modern diesels have become very free revving. You need to experience how gracefully XUV can hit 160+

Now coming to Petrols, TSI petrols with VGT turbo change the equation altogether, but for regular MPFI petrols, I can't seem to like them at all. They're little easier to drive and are forgiving on wrong gear shifts (The reason I see most ladies seen driving small petrol hatches). But due to very poor torque, they tend to clip on Speedbreakers or crawling traffic unless you're expert & Clutching/gearing.

This is from an enthusiast performance view only. Not FE.

Awesome

The diesel model of any car is always more expensive than the similarly specced petrol model. For cars under Rs. 10 lakh, the price difference could range from a lakh to a lakh and a half. For instance, the difference between a Swift ZXi (petrol) and Swift ZDi (diesel) is Rs. 1.07 lakh and if you consider on-road price then this difference goes up to around Rs. 1.28 lakhs. Similarly, for the Honda City VX(O) petrol and diesel version is around Rs 1.64 lakh (on-road).
      A basic thumb rule while choosing between a petrol model or a diesel is you buy a diesel only when your average monthly running is on the higher side. 1,200-1,500 km a month would be considered good enough to warrant the purchase of a diesel model. Determining average running is a not that hard. In most cases a major chunk of it would be due to the daily office runs. The there are other trips, weekend outings, etc. A lot depends on the city you reside in too. Average monthly running in bigger cities like Mumbai and Delhi would be much higher owing to greater distances.
      cloudappsportal.com/

Brio SMT

Secret

Petrol IMO have better lifespan too. Diesel users drive nearly 15K per year and before 100K or 7yrs change their cars too. This is what I have observed. Petrol guys definitely like to do 100K and keep cars longer. Having said that it depends on maintenance.
      Last edited by KimiRaikkonen; 16th May 2017 at 04:12.

Brio SMT

Secret

I have driven some hours of of Honda City Diesel and also VW Polo recently. I must say there is a big difference compared to petrol. The first thing I noticed is the clutch very heavy. Not sure this is common thing for diesel cars?. Acceleration of both are good. Polo I had severe problem to slot it in 2nd gear. Also both cars engine make really loud noise and reviving it, the noise is not good. Polo appears to do more to my surprise. Music is pretty much necessary due to noise but I guess you can get used to it after sometime.

Needing a Pajero!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by KimiRaikkonen View Post
      Petrol guys definitely like to do 100K and keep cars longer
      Petrol cars have much less resale value. That could be the primary reason. I am not entirely sure about lifespans though. What we get to hear is that modern diesels are as good. My car has done 1.1L km and there is no significant decline in performance so far.

Quote Originally Posted by KimiRaikkonen View Post
      Not sure this is common thing for diesel cars?
      I think it is common. I actually need a bit of adjusting time with the petrol clutch after using diesel and vice versa.

My take on priority is -
      Petrol hatch if space is not an issue and usage is not high.
      Petrol Sedan if you need that boot space ( and if you don't get a hatch that satisfies your other criteria like performance, price, features)
      Diesel hatch/sedan if your usage is high.
      Diesel SUV if and only if you REALLY need that ground clearance and other SUV advantages.
      Petrol SUV if you do not intend to sell your car.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information