• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: High beam and Low beam problem in Ford Fiesta ZXI

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

High beam and Low beam problem in Ford Fiesta ZXI

Hey all,

Wishes to everyone. I own a Ford Fiesta 2009 model with around 52k kms on the odo.

A few weeks back, the leveling motor of the RH Head Lamp had failed and I found the light throw from RH Head lamp totally out of focus. The bulb holder started shaking violently and it did fuse a couple of bulbs.

That's when i decided to get it fixed (permanently) and was advised from Ford A S S that the entire assy needs to be changed. The change was done yesterday but I have the same issue now. Though the leveling motor seems to work fine, I find the high beam and low beam totally out of sync.

In the LH side the low beam and high beam are perfectly focused while the RH side's high beam lights up the top if the trees instead of the road. I reported this to the A S S as soon as the unit was assembled. The technician tried adjusting it and said that's all about the adjustments. I though I will give it a try in the night time and said I'll get back to them after proper testing.

I did try adjusting the Up and Down with screw driver but that works only for Low beam and High beam, I think, should react according to Low beam's adjustments.

Secondly, I also noticed that the new assy has an offset. To make it clear, the LH Head lamp is able to move from (0,4) to (0,-2) say. But the new RH assy is able to move only from (0,4) to (0,0). This again brings in the same trouble - Out of focus lights.

Hope I'm make it clear. Please see attached pics. I would like to hear from experts here what could be possibly be the reason so as to defend the "Sir, this is how it works" statement from A S S

Form the attached images, you can see how the low beam are in sync (IMG1) and how the high beam is focused in LH and RH (IMG)
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Low beam.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	149789  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Low and High Beam.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	149790  

<invisible>

Awesome

Did you try swapping bulbs, just in case the filament position is causing this offset.

You should visit a professional headlight alignment center for getting the job done. They would have the equipement to ensure accurate alignment of the beams. Though it looks like you can align with your own measurement and eye-scale, the throw in long yard range would be too off for a very small error in direction.

Dual barrel like your reflector, both hi-low move together, can not be adjusted independantly.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Thanks, Shyamhedge.

I got your point on swapping bulbs. I will try that from LH low beam to RH Low beam tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
      Dual barrel like your reflector, both hi-low move together, can not be adjusted independantly.
      Yeah. That's what I'm thinking about. I really wonder if it is a problem with the assy design itself, since as you can in IMG2, there is a split-light effect in RH which is not available in LH .
      Last edited by varunr; 26th Jul 2013 at 23:44.

Forget and forgive. Live and
      let live. Learn and learn to

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by varunr View Post
      I also noticed that the new assy has an offset. To make it clear, the LH Head lamp is able to move from (0,4) to (0,-2) say. But the new RH assy is able to move only from (0,4) to (0,0). This again brings in the same trouble - Out of focus lights.
      This, I am not able to understand. Can you please elaborate a little bit more.
      Otherwise, what you are describing is a classic case of misaligned headlights. If you are not satisfied with your A.S.S., I agree with what shyamhegde says. You have to find out a good professional center in your city.

Thanks,
      Simple_car

Thread Information