• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: From where to buy the car ? What car do I buy ?, Consider these technical specs before decision

Support Donkey
      Turbo Lag - Giving the NA guys
      just 1 extra second of false
      hope :p

Awesome

Features, Equipment and other things you look for while purchasing a new car.

So you are out in the market to buy a new car.

What are the criteria you look for before you pay up your hard earned money?

Can we list out systematically in the following pattern?

1. Is this you first car purchase? If not mention how many cars you have purchased before.
      2. Budget you plan to buy the car in.
      3. Which segment?
      4. Features and equipment list that is important to you.
      5. What you look for in a car. Eg: Powerful engine/Good FE/Stiff suspension/VFM/good interiors etc..
      6. What are the "deal makers" and "deal breakers"?
      7. Any other points that you think are worth being discussed.

The idea is to gather as much info as possible on the mindset of a new car buyer and what they look for in a car.

Reboot
      Curiosity killed the cat;
      Insecurity killed the man

Hungry

Blog Entries
      Nice Topic, but i think it would be good to give a defined context for discussing this, simply because there are multitude of factors apart from Car specs that determine what they look for;
      > First Car buyers look for totally a different set of features
      > 10L Car buyer would prioritze features differently from a 4L car buyer.
      So on and so forth, ..
      RIP Penguin May 2013 - Dec 2015

Support Donkey
      Turbo Lag - Giving the NA guys
      just 1 extra second of false
      hope :p

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
      simply because there are multitude of factors apart from Car specs that determine what they look for
      True, I have edited the 1st post and added #1 based on your feedback. If there is anything else you would like to be added, feel free.

^_^
      not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Well... Like Mi10 mentioned, there are two things that we have to consider. High budget = >10L and Low Budget = <7L

But these are the things i will look out for

>10L Car

1. Budget you plan to buy the car in.
      Obviously >10L

2. Which segment?
      Sedan for sure.

3. Features and equipment list that is important to you.
      Fully Loaded, Airbags, Alloys, Leather seats, EVRM, Defogger, immobilizer, ABS, hand rest, Atleast a Decent ICE.

4. What you look for in a car. Eg: Powerful engine/Good FE/Stiff suspension etc..
      Well, If i need a Powerful engine, obviously i can't expect good FE.
      Stiff Suspension - It depends on the driving style, whether we gonna use it for rough driving or just normal driving. Rough Driving - Stiff Suspensions, Normal Driving - Will be just a little soft suspensions. But my opinion will be to always go for stiffer suspensions.

5. Any other points that you think are worth being discussed.
      May be a Hybrid

Less then <7L car

1. Budget you plan to buy the car in.
      Less then <7L

2. Which segment?
      Depends on the likes, i have been only on hatch backs all these days but its really hard for one to get a sedan with all the features below 7L. So its better to go for a hatch back in this budget, so that i can enjoy the comfortness with all the features loaded in.

3. Features and equipment list that is important to you.
      Fully Loaded, Leather seats, climate control (Though it is of no use), decent boot space - since its gonna be a hatchback that i will look for. ABS - May be,

4. What you look for in a car. Eg: Powerful engine/Good FE/Stiff suspension etc..
      FE for sure, since people will look for a good FE and a little bit of performance expectation from a budgeted car.

5. Any other points that you think are worth being discussed.
      goodies because if i have a less budget, obviously i won't be looking out for a mods or upgraded atleast for an year or so. So obviously i will bargain for goodies like extra mats, seat covers, car cover and some basic goodies.

Well these are all my expectations and the way i look at. I am sure others have different opinions and the way they look things
      Honk if you want to see my finger!

Awesome

Good topic & I'll be happy if my points serve as eye opener for those who simply jump into market, buy a car & then keep them running without knowing their needs. I'm going to pen down if I were the one who's going to buy the car & how my selection process goes on. Ofcourse, the needs will vary for everyone, but the bottom line selection process remains the same.

1. Needs
      • Needs are the ones that plays essential role in selecting a car (be it even for a two wheeler or even a bicycle). Many people simply ignore this & run straight into budget & finances & then get confused with the model to buy.
      • IMHO, if the needs are defined very clearly then the selection process becomes easy
      • Needs are those to be defines something like...
        1. I need a car to drop my child to school, take wife to shopping
        2. I need a car simply for city use, city+highway, highway use only
        3. I need a car to meet daily office use & weekend get away plus travel to my home town
        4. I need a car to freak out & show off
      • How long I'm planning to own the car is one of the factor where many people go wrong in their calculation. There're several first time buyers who say they want a used car to learn how to drive & they plan to change it in 2 years. So they go ahead & buy a car that is atleast 7-8 years old for the price, but eventually land up owning the car for next 4-5 years. But IMO, its one of the crucial point to keep it REALISTIC

2. Good to have
      • If needs are thought through brain, then these are thought through heart.
      • These are some of the good to have features that may not be of a requirement immediately, but on a long run. Features such as child lock, mutli speed wipers, rear wipers, 60:40 split seats instead of 50:50 splits

3. How Deep is Your Pocket
      • One of the critical point where many people get to reality after the purchase. Also one of the most difficult point to calculate. Reason being that, before owning a car (mostly first time users), one does not know their usage.
      • Most people buy a car thinking they'll use it sp****, but after tasting the comfort & convenience, they'll never want to leave it. For eg, I knew a friend who said will buy a car only to commute to office & eventually landed up taking his car even to market. Neverthless to say, his fuel bills shot up & he's controlling other expenses
      • So keeping the expense as close to realistic including the cost of car, maintenance & fuel bill & adding a buffer will certainly help to calculate the usage. Remember, buying is one time affair, but maintenance is for life time.

4. Guaging between Needs & Goodies
      • After listing down the needs & good to haves, the next process is to strike those that are realistic in nature.
      • One cannot buy a car that they think is highly fuel efficient like Nano & expect it to do 0-100 in 8 seconds.
      • To give an non exagerrated example, if someone has Rs 5L in hand & their needs are simple commute between point A to B within the city with convenience, never think of borrowing money & buying a SUV when you can buy a simple car with all the money you've got. One can borrow money for a car ONLY IF there're aren't any major commitments in life.
      • Another example; Once I came across a specific requirement that a friend had to take his Mother thrice a week to hospital for physiotherapy, once a week his Father for insulin or something & at the same time both my friend & his wifey wants to get dropped at office. They were settling for a Nano because they could only afford a low downpayment & they calculated that their maintenance cost + fuel bill will still be less than hiring a call taxi & auto every time.
      Last edited by Aargee; 21st Mar 2011 at 09:33.
      Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak

^_^

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
      True, I have edited the 1st post and added #1 based on your feedback. If there is anything else you would like to be added, feel free.
      i replied on the previous questions before you edit. eets ok
      Honk if you want to see my finger!

Awesome

1. Nope. One car from my mom and one bike.
      2. In our market anything above 7L only.
      3. The 7-17L segments depending on VFM.
      4. ABS, EBD, CC, GPS, Electric orvm/sunroof/windows,auto wipe/hedlites, Quality ICE.
      5. At that price only power+speed, comfort+space, handling, zero +/- 0.5 NVH and a good styling equilibrium and not fancy.
      6. Deal breker- Bad Ass. Deal maker- ^4&5 but VFM.
      7. All comes down to Power, comfort, service and VFM. Don't care on brand names/freebies/discounts/sweet talking sales teams.
      8. Never go by others advice/opinion alone. Check every requirement A-Z and the family's opinion too, before writing the chek.

Awesome

Continued...
      5. Affordability
      • After guaging between what is needed & what is good to have, the reality has striked. This means, time to find out the car in the market that suits perfectly.
      • This means time for Vitamin M has come into picture.
      • Sadly, most people do the other way. They put Vitamin M first & then go about hunting the car & then finally most people end up disliking the features in the car which is more likely to happen or most people adjust their mind set with the one they've bought.
      • Remember, none of us go to a hotel in the weekend with the family & eat the dish for the money in our pocket. Some might strike a balance between the cost of the food & the wallet, but certainly none of us would enquire the price of each dish & then buy to eat.

6. Choosing the Car
      • By this time, most of us will be certain as which brand/model to select from the market as the approach is of more realistic
      • If the budget on hand is quite good & the price of the car is low in the market, then its time to increase the expectation or simply go ahead & purchase the one on mind or start negotiating for better pricing so that one can get some unexpected allocation to enhance ICE etc.
      • If the budget on hand is not or barely sufficient, then the home work on reality is slightly a fantasy. Start negotiating if the price difference between the budget & price of the car is not that huge or may be try to settle down for a used car of the selected model or worst case, start rethinking about the good to have features so that one can have more realistic approach
      • When there are multiple brands/models to choose, then go about looking for other features in the car or something beyond the features such as price of spares, manufacturer's reputation & most importantly location of service centres & spares availability, service interval, practicality & freebies.

7. Buying the Car
      • Buying the car is altogether a differerent write-up, but still, I'll pen down a few points so as to complete the process of purchasing a car
      • Never trust even the reputed among the reputed dealer; do your homework, homework & homework. Gather as much information as possible through various online sources in the internet such as GearHeads India.
      • Get to know various modulus of operation through which the dealers take a ride on unsuspecting customers
      • Get to know how to decode a VIN number & what is a PDI
      • For a used car, get to do double the homework compared to buying a new one
      • Last but not the least, have lot of patience & NEVER hurry up buying a car be it new or used one
      Last edited by Aargee; 21st Mar 2011 at 11:45.
      Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak

Awesome

Looks like, I've hijacked the thread anyway, I'll touch base with the original topics discussed too

1. Is this you first car purchase? If not mention how many cars you have purchased before.
      One

My next upgrade will take sometime, but certainly it will be upto 10L

3. Which segment?
      Hmm...not decided concretely because, from my long terms needs & purchase plan, I'll need a Diesel based 7 or more seaters (be it Innova, or Endeavour)

Driving pleasure, ability to cruise in 130 Kmph with luggage & passengers all day, electronic/manual driver seat height adjustable, multi speed adjustable wipers, way too comfortable for all the passengers & can compromise on driving pleasure, integrated music system, tachometer, multi functional display on dash, (needless to say on PS, HVAC)

5. What you look for in a car. Eg: Powerful engine/Good FE/Stiff suspension/VFM/good interiors etc..
      15"+ wheels, CRDi 2nd gen or more technology, all power windows, child lock, long service interval, HID

Sry...couldn't understand this point

- A.S.S is the most important factor to play a major role as I always keep saying, buying is one time affair, but maintenance is for life time. So A.S.S should be within the reach
      - Though the maintenance costs have come down & service interval has gone up, I'd like it to remain this way with more preference for longer service intervals
      - I'd also prefer a car with factory fitter carputer

Hastalavista
      Potential to GND

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
      3. Which segment?
      It's not our (family's) first car purchase, but definitely going to be my first.

Budget: 4L-7L bracket, probably a CRDI Diesel

Segment: Brand new B/B+ hatchback or a used C segment sedan, though it'll take some time to buy one

Features & Equipment list:
      - Preferably a hydraulic PS
      - All power windows
      - ABS
      - Reliable (factory fitted) security system with immobilizer
      - Child lock
      - IC with MID and tach
      - rear wiper
      - <over for the time being, will add more when I'm really in the market for one>

What I look for in the car:
      - Safety
      - Powerful engine with decent mileage (shouldn't be a fuel guzzler)
      - Comfortable seats & interiors, that aids in a comfortable cruise even on not-so-good roads
      - Option for all disc brakes - might even go for after-market ones at the rear if they are reliable
      - GC

Deal Makers/Deal Breakers:
      The dead pedal, obviously What more can be a deal maker or breaker concerning cars? swears by the dead pedal

Other points:
      1 After sales support
      2 Service interval
      3 Spare prices
      What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information