• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: From where to buy the car ? What car do I buy ?, Consider these technical specs before decision

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

I went with my uncle and we bought a Tata Safari.
      This was many years ago, the the beast is a 3 liter.

Its problematic, its tempramental, and quality wise, a piece of royal junk, and when I can afford, I will also buy one.
      Some things need to be done from the heart.
      You have one life to live. you can go and look for VFM, ASS, features, mileage, and exist like the insect in your neighbouring flat. Or you can chose to live life, and not just exist.

I do not even own a two wheeler now, I take the bus or cycle to work. Every penny saved is going to go into my Safari fund.

Or who knows maybe later, into a land rover fund, because thats the dream. A Land Rover Disco. Someday............

So what do I look for? Nothing, it should make the heart flutter.
      Few things do. A Palio 100BHP does it for me, so does a OHC V-TEC, or a 1,8 liter turbocharged SKoda Octavia petrol.
      I hope I do not become an insect when I am married, and buy a silly dabba hatch.

Time will tell, and if I do, I will be too ashamed to even write about it.

Awesome

anarchist, this is what I could make out from your post; feel free to correct if there's any misunderstanding...

1. You'd bought a Safari along with your Uncle probably the older model & found that it wasn't up to your expectation because it was a junk & had full of problems. So right now you're saving every penny by taking a bus or cycle to work so that you'll be able to afford for a Safari in future.

2. On another instance you're saying that you could use the same fund to buy a Land Rover which is your dream machine.

Quote Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
      Few things do. A Palio 100BHP does it for me, so does a OHC V-TEC, or a 1,8 liter turbocharged SKoda Octavia petrol.
      ^^^ past is something that I totally didn't understand the relevance to this thread. Pls explain.
      Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak

Awesome

My uncle bought the safari. I could not afford one then, was still stuck in college.
      I am just replying to this thread.
      This thread is what you look for in a car while purchasing a new car.
      All I am saying is that I look for something which makes the heart beat fast thats all. The car has to appeal, and call out. I don't care about features and equipment and damn sissy things

No Commerce, Just Fun
      New Year 2017

Secret

From where to buy the car ? What car do I buy ?, Consider these technical specs before decision

I saw a section on "What Car do I buy ?"

I will take that the word Car is inclusive of other category of vehicles including bikes, commercial vehicles etc.

Probably this is a section that see maximum visits / thread views / posts / suggetions / advice / opinions / debates / arguments and probably decisions as well.

Often people spend lot of time on the question "What car do I buy ?"

Probably the also spend time on finding asnwer to the question "How to buy / finance a car ?"

But i do not see people giving lot of importantce to "From where I will buy the car ?", I am not referring to the city or state which might affect the taxes and other charges, but from the entity or channel from where we buy the car.

Currently consumers will go and buy the car from where it is available and where they get the lowest price. In summery it is a Availability and Price based decision.

Here, i am not just referring to dealers, but a broader channel. In my view cars are currently (or could be) sold and bought using following channels.

* Authorized Dealerships which is the main sales channel
      * Smaller Re-sellers, basically extension of a large dealership in a different part of the city / town.
      * Multi Brand Car Outlets
      * Exclusive Brand Shops, basically used to sell high end or luxury vehicles
      * Institutional Sales viz through army canteens, taxi companies, cab companies etc
      * Bulk buying by the group of individuals coming together mainly in case of luxury segment
      * Through Leasing Companies mainly in luxury segments or for company owned vehicles
      * Car Boutique like DC Designs for a highly personalized and customized car

I have seen pre-owned vehicles listed on-line portals, but actual sales happens offline and in traditional way.

I see the possibility of expanding the channels to the following in near future.

Through Banks / Financing Institutions. Basically this reverses the current model being used by the industry. Today, getting financing is the responsibility of the individual buyer. In future, it may so happen that the financing institutions will actually sell the vehicle including financing to the consumer. Such things are already happening for hotels / vacations / etc through bank portals or the debit / credit card channels.

Advantage here could be banks or financial institutions being able offer differential interest rates on different segment vehicles. they can also offer insurance products as well. Depending on the sale volume and insurance claims the bank can decide on interest rates on different models / brands of the vehicle.

This will also help government to reduce the registration, taxes related procedures, departments and help bring transparency into the whole system.

Through On-Line Portals: Imagine flipkart or e-bay actually selling the vehicles coupled with "Jo diktha hai, wo hi bikta hai" or "30 days money back guarantee". This will be delivered to the home after doing the PDI, Registration, Payment of Taxes, Insurance etc along with customizable options installed. It could be Pre-paid or Postpaid, with or without financing options involved.

For 100% down payment customers, it could be a cheaper option depending on the volumes being sold. This has advantages for the Auto OEMs as cost of sales & marketing is lower.

But this model / channel needs better logistics and litigation / issue resolution mechanism and framework than what our country has as of today. Hence this channel realization might get delayed.

Through Large Format Retail Chains : I already see retail chains like Reliance Retails, SPAR have automobile related products on shelf. Some of them also display or showcase automobile vehicles during special occations or season. Some of them already sell insurance products as well. Once the Multi Brand Retail Model consolidates, they may focus on this category as well.

Currently the Indian Automobile Market is not very large interms of "Value" even though it is growing in terms of "Volumes". Currently most cars sold are entry segment hatches and sedans. As the penetration increases, the maturity, needs, wants and aspiration of the Indian consumers increase which results in higher featured, higher value cars being made, sold and bought. That will be the time the new sales channels will create differentiation and add value to all stake holders viz Buyer, Manufacturer, Financer and the Channel

Availability or Price or Discounts or Freebees are not the only factors that decide which channel one should use to buy the car especially when the value of the car is high or it is from a higher segment. Even for a first timer, his risk of purchase increases if he decided only based on price.

The responsiveness, proactiveness, proximity, ease of transaction, service quality, reputation, business policies and ethics, comprehensive value, complete pre and post purchase experience, Service Quality over the ownership period, competence of the staff to solve issues / probelms could add to the credibility of the channel.

Personally, i feel that as consumers we must have "Credibility Report Card" for the channel we buy from, similar to the way each one of us has a "Credit Rating or CIBIL Report". I hope the online consumer focus groups and communities will take lead in establishing such Credibility Report. We as automobile forum members need to ensure that this Credibility Report is real, honest and trust worthy. This can be started by having a dedicated Auto OEM and Dealer Feedback and Rating section in this forum itself, if moderators and members feel the need. This will be a small step in ensuring that we truely represent automobile enthusiast community's interests.

Hopefullly such a day is not far away....if we start now, might be 2020 be a good time for all these to be real.

In terms of Automobile Industry jargon, it is just 2-3 platforms away...amen

any comments, views, feedback is welcome

Last edited by Nomad; 10th Dec 2013 at 22:03.

StarScream
      You don't say...!!!

Awesome

Multi brand car outlets should have done well in our country. I recall having seen a Jagdish Khattar (former MD, MSIL) interview some years back (after he had retired) 'bout starting a similar venture called "Carnation". No idea what happened.

Online buying, that would be really awesome, but with the credit transfer limits in our country, it's a distant thought.

However, retailing to other sellers, does not seem 'profitable' from the Manufacturer's POV. It would eat into their direct share, atleast for the settled-in companies.

2020, yeah that seems a realistic deadline. However, the forefront hurdle to ensure the success for all and any improvement in the social facilities, is illiteracy and no education. People need to be able to use computers to buy stuff.
      Plus, all this would also result in warranty hassles, companies refusing replacements in vendor bought vehicles; general phenomenon of lower quality in vendor vehicles and many more.
      The Govt needs to formulate some basic Auto-laws now.
      www.WordWorld.pw
      www.NFSpoet.blogspot.com
      www.facebook.com/NFSzone
      www.MeAgainstWords.blogspot.com

Wanderer
      Roadtrips and rides!!

Awesome

Excellent post Nomad.
      You are fast becoming one of my favorite posters on GH's - first the amazing travelogues and now this article.

The main issues I see here would be managing and integrating the HR, logistics and infrastructure. Automotive sales require a specially skilled set of people right form sales to service, better logistics and specialized infrastructure

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
      Through Banks / Financing Institutions.
      Advantage here could be banks or financial institutions being able offer differential interest rates on... brands of the vehicle.
      I guess it would be better if the banks tie-up with car companies to offer these services and let the existing sales set-up be as it is.
      Handling car sales, after-sales and other customer service activities alongside their banking duties would be too much for the banks IMHO.

Through On-Line Portals Imagine flipkart or e-bay actually selling the vehicles coupled with... realization might get delayed.
      We should remember that in the current scenario this model wouldn't find many takers as cars are one of the biggest purchases for an Indian family and frankly one would like to have someone to talk to face-to-face (such as a sales rep.) instead of calling a help-line and looking for solutions if and when something goes wrong during the delivery process or after it.

E-commerce is also a domain mainly of the well-off and well-educated and the layman would still prefer walking into a showroom to buy a car.
      Besides for delivery and after-sales these companies will again have to build-up infrastructure which existing dealerships already have!

Though something similar is already offered abroad where customers can customise their cars online and then order them but even there the actual delivery and service are done by their dealership only!

Through Large Format Retail Chains I already see retail chains like Reliance Retails, SPAR have automobile related products on shelf. Some of them also display or showcase automobile vehicles during special occations or season. Some of them already sell insurance products as well. Once the Multi Brand Retail Model consolidates, they may focus on this category as well.
      This I feel is something that really is possible. One of my earliest dreams was to grow up and open a retail chain dedicated to cars, a one stop shop for all things automotive - all the car brands, all the accessories. Everything at one place. The one hindrance to this might be the fact that keeping multiple brands of cars at one place would require a lot of space and selling them along-with other articles such as groceries etc wouldn't be easy.
      The solution may be biggies like Reliance etc opening a separate set of stores named like 'Reliance Auto' or something on the outskirts on vast tracts of land and offering all the services under one roof.

Personally, i feel that as consumers we must have "Credibility Report Card" for the channel we buy from, similar to the way each one of us has a "Credit Rating or CIBIL Report".
      An excellent point, this is very necessary and all car companies should start addressing this immediately.
      Companies can have an online rating system for their dealers where the customer can rate the dealership on various parameters and depending on the customer feedback the company could either reprimand or provide certain incentives to the dealership.
      Yamaha R15 V2.0 (2012) - Bliss @ 7000 RPM!

"My circumstances don't make me who I am, they reveal who I have chosen to be."

Secret

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by nfspoet View Post
      bout starting a similar venture called "Carnation". No idea what happened.
      Jagadish Khattar eventually did start Carnation..

http://www.carnation.in/

in fact I remember reading a few posts about it on this forum itself.
      www.codereddy.wordpress.com

No Commerce, Just Fun
      New Year 2017

Secret

How far are we from Affordable Custom Built Cars ?

How far are we from the Affordable Customized Cars ?

This question came to my mind when I was going through several ICE, Alloys, Tyres, Seat Covers, confused car selection related threads.

Limited Customizations is what I am talking about,

Some aspects that could be offered to be customized are

* mera wala blue !, that particular shade of color.
      * seating color, material, finish
      * options for ICE, speakers, woofers, tweeters, connectivity options
      * horn sound keeping the decibels same.
      * wheel size, alloys, design of alloys
      * tyre size, make
      * choice of floor mats, mud flaps etc.
      * choice of accessories viz chargers, phone kits, navigation, maps
      * engine enhancement & tuning as per the taste of the expert driver and owner.
      * choice of tool kit viz. Jack, air pump, spanner sets etc

All these available from the car OEM itself at the same price band or marginal increase.

Will this happen in India ?
      How soon it can happen ?
      Who could be the first mover with this business model ?
      How to make such business model successful ?

Is there an opportunity for some new position in the value chain. Customizer who is between the OEM and Dealer. This customizer manages such customized orders.

Your thoughts please ..
      Last edited by Nomad; 3rd Aug 2012 at 13:06.

following a 'Linea'r
      progression

Secret

Colour, interiors & accessories - could happen, though it will take some dwindling of car sales to make the manufacturers resort to this.

Engine tunes, alloys & tyre options, tool kit etc. - just forget it. Not in our lifetime at least.

Global Moderator
      Driving Worlds fastest truck!!

Awesome

And adding to it any changes in engine and the Law enforcement catches you then you are gone IMO
      Try walking into YOUR car rather than crawling. For me walking is always best ---GURU SHISHIR

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information