• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: From where to buy the car ? What car do I buy ?, Consider these technical specs before decision

No Commerce, Just Fun
      New Year 2017

Secret

You mean to say, all those modified car threads could lead to prosecution of the owners ?

Is engine tuning illegal in India ?, what about those Pete'ed cars ?

If so, then offering it under the OEM umbrella will be better is it not ?

Global Moderator
      Driving Worlds fastest truck!!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
      all those modified car threads could lead to prosecution of the owners
      No no. IIRC or IMO it is not that worst. Only if the engine thhings are changed then it should be a problem. mclaren1885, 007, Techie, tadukuttan would be knowing that better
      Try walking into YOUR car rather than crawling. For me walking is always best ---GURU SHISHIR

Hondameister
      Formerly IITK

Awesome

Is engine tuning illegal in India ?, what about those Pete'ed cars ?
      Not exactly. But if the manufacturer were to offer them ARAI will have to certify. There are some things which are better done in the aftermarket. If a dealer were to get involved I am not too sure how will the Fuzz react.
      Drive carefully, the life you save may be your own.
      Honda Civic V AT (2010), Honda Brio V AT 2012
      Hyundai Accent GLS, 2003; Hyundai Santro AT (2005)

Jai Radhe Maa

Secret

Is engine tuning illegal in India
      tuning an engine isn't but extensive modifications like engine swaps, major bodywork changes, etc. are. if I remember correctly, it is technically illegal to even swap steel wheels with alloy wheels, fix an aftermarket music system, etc.

just another example of myopic laws in action. there is nothing stopping a cop on a mission from wreaking havoc on the lives of people with extensively modded cars. fortunately though, the cops are busy dealing with more real problems.

No Commerce, Just Fun
      New Year 2017

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
      Not exactly. But if the manufacturer were to offer them ARAI will have to certify. There are some things which are better done in the aftermarket. If a dealer were to get involved I am not too sure how will the Fuzz react.
      Do you mean, anything not certified by ARAI is not allowed to sell in India ?, if so any aftermarket fitment is illegal.

007, myopic or otherwise, laws are laws, until they are in place, a model citizen need to follow it IMO.

Of course, when the law gets changed, it might be lawful.

Coming back to the question, if we have to enable affordable customized cars, what we need to do ?
      Last edited by Nomad; 20th Jan 2014 at 10:25.

!

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Only reason I see for these not happening in our country is requirement and people's mindset. People are better off with what they get than what they want.

AFAIK Mahindra Customized Vehicles | Modified Cars | Custom Cars In India does provide few customizing option to customers and I reckon it costs around 1-1.5lakhs which is indeed affordable for someone buying a vehicle for 8-9lakhs. But how many people do you think have done this to their vehicles?

Also there are few cars like the Linea t-jet/skoda laura rs that comes with a turbo charged petrol engine which would indeed give a lot of driving fun, but not many people would like to spend the extra money for pure driving fun.

So the point is, as Guru mentioned its not gonna happened atleast in our lifetime provided the very less such customer requirement towards manufacturers/mindset of Indian people.
      I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.

following a 'Linea'r
      progression

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by Vinosh Sam View Post
      People are better off with what they get than what they want.
      I beg to differ slightly here. A majority of people are happy with stock cars which give them good reliability & mileage. There are few who want to go in for mods. Out of these too, very few actually go for performance mods - rest are mods for showoff.

No Commerce, Just Fun
      New Year 2017

Secret

Vinosh Sam,

that is a good insight and opinion. Thanks for the information about the customization options Mahindra offers. then it means they have taken the lead as an OEM in this customization game in India.

Guru,

what i read from your last post is "Show off customization" could be the first phase, Performance Modification might come in second or later phase. Am I correct in my reading ?

following a 'Linea'r
      progression

Secret

Guru,

what i read from your last post is "Show off customization" could be the first phase, Performance Modification might come in second or later phase. Am I correct in my reading ?
      Maybe, though I am not very optimistic about this happening any soon.

Jai Radhe Maa

Secret

007, myopic or otherwise, laws are laws, until they are in place, a model brain dead citizen need to follow it IMO.
      fixed according to my opinion. I had a long and bitter argument about the very same topic with a former member here and don't wish to repeat it again, but suffice to say that legal / illegal is not the same as right / wrong. laws are coined by human beings. human beings are fallible. therefore laws are fallible too. a model citizen will contribute to the system by helping make sensible laws and not blindly following whatever is thrown at him.

if I soup up my engine for efficiency, how does that harm *anybody*? if I wish to have a good audio experience in my car, what business do law makers have poking their nose in? etc.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information