• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with headlight low beam

?

Awesome

Blog Entries

Problem with headlight low beam

I got Philips 100/90 (with relay) installed a few months back from an aftermarket accessory shop. All was well for a couple of months but then I started to experience intermittent low beam failure. When turning on, low bean won't illuminate. A couple of on/off tries with the switch and it comes back on. It goes off randomly after driving around for sometime. Few retries with the switch and it would come back on. No issues with High-beam ever. I had it checked a couple of months back at the shop and the person noticed corrosion on the pins inside the relay (not sure of this relay is stock or was installed along with the light kit). The person cleaned it with alcohol and fixed the plug back and all was well until a month back. The same low beam problem surfaced.

This morning I opened the relay myself. I was surprised to see corroded pins inside the relay and cleaned the pins myself thoroughly. But the problem didn't go away even after cleaning. I never had this issue when I was running stock lights. I'm beginning to think it is probably not in the relay. Any pointers what is causing this issue?

Toll Free Suresh

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by keerthi View Post
      No issues with High-beam ever.
      I had problems with high beam once. While driving to rasipuram from bangalore, near thoppur when i switched on the headlights, high beam did not work. Fortunately low beam worked. I started to toggle the beam switch out of frustration. After some time the high beam started functioning. Thank god i did not face any issues while coming back home.
      Next day i took the car to the mechanic who said there was some problem in the wiring . he said such problems will occur when one tends to use high beam continuously.
      Note that high beam with 100/90 arrangement draws more current so the wiring will heat up too. i go the wiring harness replaced after shelling out Rs 700.
      In ur case may be check the wiring. I dont think relay will be the source. or may be check the bulbs too.
      Even in my case the mechanic said relay was fine

<invisible>

Awesome

I never had this issue when I was running stock lights. I'm beginning to think it is probably not in the relay. Any pointers what is causing this issue?
      Do you know what was done during your headlight bulb upgrade ? I guess a wiring harness with relay was installed and likely of subustandard quality. Post a picture and save 1000 words.

My suggestion is to change the relay. If the shopkeeper refuses, you still change the relay and also the shop for your future needs.

Quote Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
      Note that high beam with 100/90 arrangement draws more current so the wiring will heat up too. i go the wiring harness replaced after shelling out Rs 700.
      It is not replacing the wires. Just the harness is cascaded to existing wiring so that the stock wire will only take load for operating the relay and bulb is powered from battery on a wire rated to carry more current. that is the relay i guess is faulting in OP's case.

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

The person cleaned it with alcohol and fixed the plug back and all was well until a month back.
      Cleaning corroded contacts should be used in a temporary fix only to get you home. You need to replace the relay as soon as possible.

?

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
      Do you know what was done during your headlight bulb upgrade ? I guess a wiring harness with relay was installed and likely of subustandard quality.
      Yes. I know the bulbs were installed along with ceramic holders and a relay. The person told me that it comes as a kit (Philips bulbs, relay, ceramic holder and wiring harness) and no wires will be cut during the install. This was at Privilege Motomall which comes highly recommended among the Chennai Gearheads. So I didn't bother to check what kind of relay and wiring harness were installed as I blindly trusted them.

And, sure yes. I will try to click some pics.

- - - Updated - - -

Do we have relays & wiring harness from Philips or other good brands? I could buy one if I decide to throw away the junk that was put in.

^ BHP = Torque X RPM

Awesome

Do we have relays & wiring harness from Philips or other good brands?
      Bosch ..

even i had similar problem of low beam going off.. earlier holders seem to have become loose [strange considering they were also ceramic ones]. replaced them with Bosch and so far running good except for f***D up focusing [note to self to set the focus right :thinking: ]

Save the endangered species!! Save the Two Strokes!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/130855790280909/

I trust in Bhai!

Awesome

Philips bulbs, relay, ceramic holder and wiring harness
      Unfortunately, this is one brand (Not just this) which has lots of fakes going around in the market. While sometimes the fakes are better than the originals, sometimes they are not.

Try to source a original relay kit and bulbs , check the phillips india website and contact the distributor directly. He might direct you to the best place to buy them.

?

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Man... the PMM folks are really getting on my nerves!!!

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

Man... the PMM folks are really getting on my nerves!!!
      Didn't anyone say that anything other than detailing PMM guys are not to be taken a chance with ? Replace your relays. And find out the root cause in first place as why corrosion is happening. Any water seepage there. Is the relays placed close to where dust is prone to enter ? I got my Headlight upgraded at Ignite garage & once after 6 months my relay conked off. Its from Minda. After that no problems whatsoever.

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Maruti Swift 1.3L VXi [SOLD]
      Maruti 800 Std [SOLD]
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio
      HH Splendour NXG [SOLD]
      Yamaha RX100 [SOLD]

?

Awesome

Blog Entries
      I wasn't aware, Venkat. I took a chance I guess. I don't see any water seeping into the relay. It was dry when I opened it but was corroded, not rust but something similar to how a copper would corrode (with a blue-green residue). The relay is definitely not from Philips. Has no name on it lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information