• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: TATA Indica V2 ICE Build Log

Audio Banned

Awesome

TATA Indica V2 ICE Build Log

I was spending a lot of time over what to do for damping material. The choice was numerous from branded items like dynamat, our own monty's Dampmat, wuerth sheets, noisekiller and more. The cheapest option was tar felt sheets available in hardware shops.

However I was apprehensive in using any kind of asphalt (bitumen based) materials in the inner areas of the car, be if floor / door or the boot.

Anything I touched upon, read upon or was advised was based on asphalt. Asphalt inherently has carcinogenic properties, yes all our roads are based on tar but I did not want to compromise.

More reading brought me to two more materials. Wool felt and super compressed synthetic foam.

Both provide for excellent acoustic insulation and wool felt is used in speaker enclosures of leading audiophile brands.
      How the insulation works is, the fibres in the compressed wool-felt trap sound and convert it to heat.

So the hunt began for wool felt sheets and to my surprise I found a dealer in Broadway.

I made a visit and he had many varieties and colours ranging from thickness of 3 mm sheets to 12 mm sheets. To my surprise I also saw that he was selling aluminium sheets.
      The density of 3mm sheet is roughly 0.25sg.

The felt sheets were 6 feet wide and aluminium sheets were 5 feet wide.
      I bought 72 sq.ft (6 ft x 12 ft) of 3 mm felt sheet and 75 sq.ft (5 ft x 15 ft) of aluminium sheet.

Total cost Rs. 2000 for 75 sq.ft of material. Glue, Fevicol Sr998 2kgs: Rs. 650.

Bitumen based dampeners like dynamat reflect sound while wool felt sheets absorb sound and convert it to heat. The aluminium foil will help in absorbing this heat.
      Some other Dynamat materials like dynaliner and dynapad which are used in vehicle floors add weight and absorb road noise and rattles.

I fell short of the aluminium foil and will have to do another trip to Broadway to buy more. I might put two layers of felt sheet for floor to add more weight.

I hope it works and helps in reducing vehicle and outside noise as well as rattles, at least to some extent.

Now I wonder if any ICE guy in Chennai will be willing to do the dampening with this stuff or I will have to do it myself with the help of my car mechanic.

Here are some pictures of the materials I bought. I stuck the aluminium foil to the felt sheet using Fevicol SR998.

The felt sheet
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	felt sheet.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	499.9 KB 
ID:	154274

Aluminium foil

Name:	aluminium foil.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	154275

Glue and metal sheet to apply

Name:	glue and applier.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	154276

Felt sheet with adhesive

Name:	glue applied.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	626.2 KB 
ID:	154277

Pasting aluminium foil on felt sheet

Name:	fixing foil to sheet.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	790.3 KB 
ID:	154278

Job complete

Name:	job complete.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	323.4 KB 
ID:	154279
      Last edited by bamaboy; 21st Sep 2013 at 14:58. Reason: Thread title edited on the request of OP

Global Moderator
      not aware that he can set his status here!

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by gkannan View Post
      However I was apprehensive in using any kind of asphalt (bitumen based) materials in the inner areas of the car, be if floor / door or the boot.

Anything I touched upon, read upon or was advised was based on asphalt. Asphalt inherently has carcinogenic properties, yes all our roads are based on tar but I did not want to compromise.
      The Bitumen or Tar-felt sheets used in Damping materials or Waterproofing sheets is derived from the distillation of crude oil. Its completely non carcinogenic.
      Coal Tar on the other hand is carcinogenic.

Bitumen & Health FAQs
      1. What is the difference between Hazard and Risk?
      “Hazard” and “Risk” have very different meanings. See how they differ by clicking here.
      2. What is bitumen?
      Bitumen is a virtually non-volatile, adhesive and waterproofing material derived from the distillation of crude oil. It is produced by removing the lighter fractions from heavy crude oil during the refining process and is very viscous, almost solid, at ambient temperatures.

3. Is there a difference between bitumen and coal tar (or tar sands)?
      Yes there is.
      Bitumen is distilled from crude oil and is very different from coal tar, which is derived from processing (pyrolysis) of coal at very high temperatures. Coal tar was used for road building and water proofing, but was replaced by bitumen during the 1950s.
      Although similar in appearance, the chemical composition of coal tar is very different from bitumen, as is the nature of hazard that coal tar presents to the user: coal tar is classified as carcinogenic, whereas bitumen is not.
      [Tar sands - also known as cold oil sands or bitumen sands - contain naturally occurring heavy crude oil, which is a very different substance to bitumen.]
      4. Should the general public be concerned about any hazards from bitumen?
      No. Bitumen in use, for example, on roads, roofs or pavements, are inert and do not present any known health or environmental hazard.
      5. And what about those who work with bitumen?
      Bitumen is normally manufactured, stored, transported and handled hot. Hence the most significant hazard to workers from hot bitumen is the potential to cause burns.
      Bitumen is usually applied hot. Hot bitumen gives off fumes, which can cause respiratory tract or eye irritation. Apart from this temporary irritation, under normal conditions there is no evidence that working with bitumen is hazardous to worker health. The risk of exposure to this hazard - and, therefore, the potential health impact on workers - is minimised through good temperature control, working practices and appropriate workwear.
      Source : http://www.eurobitume.eu/bitumen-health-faqs

Both provide for excellent acoustic insulation and wool felt is used in speaker enclosures of leading audiophile brands.
      How the insulation works is, the fibres in the compressed wool-felt trap sound and convert it to heat.
      +1.
      Bitumen based dampeners like dynamat reflect sound while wool felt sheets absorb sound and convert it to heat. The aluminium foil will help in absorbing this heat.
      Some other Dynamat materials like dynaliner and dynapad which are used in vehicle floors add weight and absorb road noise and rattles.

I fell short of the aluminium foil and will have to do another trip to Broadway to buy more. I might put two layers of felt sheet for floor to add more weight.
      My two cents : Don't use Aluminium layered wool felt sheet behind the speaker. Simply apply the wool felt sheet without the Aluminium layer. Its the Aluminium layer which reflects back waves behind the speakers and considerably reduce the Midbass attack.
      Last edited by bamaboy; 5th Sep 2013 at 21:56.
      2015 Mercedes-Benz C200 Avantgarde
      2016 Hyundai Creta SX(O)
      2014 Tata Safari Storme EX
      2014 Hyundai Elite i20 Asta:
      Nexus 7 -> AK4490EQ -> miniDSP C-DSP| DLS A2 | Audible Physics RAM3a | Boston GT2125
      | Vaani Vector 6.5mkII | Rockford Fosgate T400-2 | Morel Ultimo SC

Audio Banned

Awesome

Thanks bamaboy

Quote Originally Posted by bamaboy View Post
      The Bitumen or Tar-felt sheets used in Damping materials or Waterproofing sheets is derived from the distillation of crude oil. Its completely non carcinogenic.
      Coal Tar on the other hand is carcinogenic.
      I agree to some extent, but there are two sides to the coin. I will just leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by bamaboy View Post
      My two cents : Don't use Aluminium layered wool felt sheet behind the speaker. Simply apply the wool felt sheet without the Aluminium layer. Its the Aluminium layer which reflects back waves behind the speakers and considerably reduce the Midbass attack.
      Thanks, that sounds logical and makes a lot of sense.

Retired hurt detailer

Awesome

Wouldn't wool felt absorb water?

Audio Banned

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
      Wouldn't wool felt absorb water?
      Yes, but it will dry off too unless of course it gets soaked which ideally should not happen within the car.

?

Awesome

Blog Entries
      gkannan Very intriguing and interesting. Kudos to your effort. Are you planning to stick the sheet over floor panel only? What about your door panels?

Not sure if Power Zone would be willing to carry out this job? Tagging power zone agent matbhuvi

Audio Banned

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by keerthi View Post
      gkannan Very intriguing and interesting. Kudos to your effort. Are you planning to stick the sheet over floor panel only? What about your door panels?
      The floor with my service guy as it involves lots of dismantling and and re-assembling work. Rear doors and boot probably DIY. Front doors at the time of fixing the components with the hope that the ICE guy agrees to use this item.

Up and Running

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by keerthi View Post
      Not sure if Power Zone would be willing to carry out this job? Tagging power zone agent matbhuvi
      Why not? Just call him and check with him
      Running away from your problem is a race you will never win
      My Vision through Camera :- https://www.facebook.com/VisionThroughCamera

Audio Banned

Awesome

Vehicle left with Speedfreaks yesterday for ICE installation.

Head Unit: Pioneer deh-80prs
      Amplifier: PHD 4075 4-channel
      Components: Focal 165 V30
      Subwoofer: 12inch Pioneer TS-W306c
      Car: Tata Indica v2 petrol
      Felt damping for floor, tradional damping for front doors and boot.

Passive setup for the time being. Time for installation about 3 days.

I don't have time to sit through the installation. However have requested Karthick of Speedfreaks to provide for some photos of his work on my car. Will try and post as and when it is available.

Keeping fingers crossed!

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

Congrats on the DIY damping material gkannan. I would be watching this space to read about the progress. Do make it to chennai meets that happen. Would love to audition your setup with this Damping material in place.

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Maruti Swift 1.3L VXi [SOLD]
      Maruti 800 Std [SOLD]
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio
      HH Splendour NXG [SOLD]
      Yamaha RX100 [SOLD]

Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information