• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: TATA Indica V2 ICE Build Log

Audio Banned

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Lvramanan View Post
      Congrats on the DIY damping material gkannan. I would be watching this space to read about the progress. Do make it to chennai meets that happen. Would love to audition your setup with this Damping material in place.
      Karthick Raj was reluctant to use felt damping on the front doors where the mid bass will be mounted. So I left that bit of the damping to his choice.

As far as the hardware goes, I got what was best within my budget and did enough reading before hunting them down. I did not allow my installer to have a say here.
      Installation is subjective and not my domain of expertise. So I am leaving that bit without any interference to my installer and his expertise.

Audio Banned

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Lvramanan View Post
      Congrats on the DIY damping material gkannan. I would be watching this space to read about the progress. Do make it to chennai meets that happen. Would love to audition your setup with this Damping material in place.
      Damping the floor has been completed. The front doors have also been damped. Head unit and amp fixed. Today probably the mid bass might get fixed on the doors to be followed by fixing of the tweeters. Tuning and further changes to follow after that.
      Initial pics by today evening.

OCD

Awesome

Why exactly are we concerned with the material being a carcinogen? How exactly can a damping sheet cause cancer?

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by Supernaut View Post
      Why exactly are we concerned with the material being a carcinogen? How exactly can a damping sheet cause cancer?
      To my limited knowledge the odour from a damping material, if one of its ingredient is asphalt/coal tar based then its carcinogeic & could lead to Cancer. Experts correct me if I'm wrong here.

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Maruti Swift 1.3L VXi [SOLD]
      Maruti 800 Std [SOLD]
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio
      HH Splendour NXG [SOLD]
      Yamaha RX100 [SOLD]

Retired hurt detailer

Awesome

People confuses Bitumen with Coal tar.
      Here is some info:

1.What is bitumen?
      Bitumen is a virtually non-volatile, adhesive and waterproofing material derived from the distillation of crude oil. It is produced by removing the lighter fractions from heavy crude oil during the refining process and is very viscous, almost solid, at ambient temperatures.

2. Is there a difference between bitumen and coal tar ?
      Yes there is.

Bitumen is distilled from crude oil and is very different from coal tar, which is derived from processing (pyrolysis) of coal at very high temperatures. Coal tar was used for road building and water proofing, but was replaced by bitumen during the 1950s.

Although similar in appearance, the chemical composition of coal tar is very different from bitumen, as is the nature of hazard that coal tar presents to the user: coal tar is classified as carcinogenic, whereas bitumen is not.

3. Should the general public be concerned about any hazards from bitumen?
      No. Bitumen in use, for example, on roads, roofs or pavements, are inert and do not present any known health or environmental hazard. Bitumen is usually applied hot. Hot bitumen gives off fumes, which can cause respiratory tract or eye irritation. Apart from this temporary irritation, under normal conditions there is no evidence that working with bitumen is hazardous to worker health.

Audison midrange BNIB avb !

Awesome

wow !! focal v30 are one of the best comps ive heard

Audio Banned

Awesome

Bitumen tends to expand a bit at high temperatures. When road is laid, bitumen is mixed with blue metal and levelled with a road roller. The blue metal gravels offer grip while the bitumen creates a cushion effect.
      During extreme summer, the bitumen tends to melt and the air trapped in it escapes into the air which produces the harsh smell. I am sure most of us have noticed it, especially in highways.
      The same happens in the car as well.
      There are studies which show that bitumen in close proximity and on long exposure may cause breathing issues not because it is toxic but because it is offensive. The air escaping from bitumen tends to absorb oxygen from the air and thereby making breathing a bit harder.
      However the quantity used on doors are minuscule in comparison.

My contention was why not avoid it if other materials are available to do the job as effectively in vehicles.

?

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Asphalt is carcinogenic, bitumen is not. Asphalt particles (usually used in the roof material) inadvertently can enter into your lungs. Damping material may emanate asphalt fumes when the temperature rises.

Audio Banned

Awesome

Some pictures from work-in-progress. DAY 3

Sorry for the picture quality owing to murky climate.

Floor damping, done with the help of a liner

1st layer: Foam sheets under the seat area already provided for in the car
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floor3.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	469.7 KB 
ID:	155220

2nd layer: 3mm Wool Felt Sheet with aluminium foil at its top

Name:	floor5.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	427.3 KB 
ID:	155222

3rd layer: Floor carpet provided in the car.

Door Damping:
      Front left and right doors:

Name:	left door.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	264.0 KB 
ID:	155223Click image for larger version. 

Name:	right door.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	405.1 KB 
ID:	155224

Speaker depth measured for fibre glass work

Name:	speaker depth.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	490.8 KB 
ID:	155225

Indica sadly does not provide for fixing speaker on the inner metal door frame owing to limitation of depth for a 6.5 inch speaker. So it was decided that the door cover (panel) needs reinforcement to power the mid bass and hence a fibre glass work is in progress to fix the components to the door frame.
      Fibre glass work on the door panel to fix the components

Name:	fibre glass2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	260.9 KB 
ID:	155226

A view of the door panel before the fibre glass work

Name:	door panel.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	420.5 KB 
ID:	155227

To reduce the rattle on the door panel as the speaker is fixed to its body, it will be damped on its inner side.

The door with mid bass should most likely get over by tomorrow.
      Saturday will hopefully be the day for the tweeters.

Retired hurt detailer

Awesome

IMHO aluminum foil on the floor isn't a good idea. If by any chance the floor carpet gets wet it will a pain in a** to get it dry.

A few days ago there was heavy rain in Kolkata. I had to move through a road which had almost knee deep water. Some water managed to enter the cabin (probably through under the body). It took 3-4 days to get the carpet completely dry with lots of newspaper. Also had to remove the mats everytime I left the car parked so that water could evaporate . In your case the aluminum foil wouldn't let any water beneath it to evaporate.

Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information