• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849

Thread: TATA Indica V2 ICE Build Log

THE PURSUIT OF musical
      HAPPINESS

Awesome

Nice choice to use it for the home audio set up sir..it will Def give a lot of the new gen cd players a run for its money and much more
      its never the destination that gives the happiness..its always about the journey

Audio Banned

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by icruze View Post
      Nice choice to use it for the home audio set up sir..it will Def give a lot of the new gen cd players a run for its money and much more
      Yes, it sounds great. There is some mechanical problem in the Mcintosh CD section, so I am forced to use the CD changer.
      Here is a small hand made rack for these beauties. Used some MDF pieces lying with me from an earlier project. May look ugly but is quite functional and sturdy. The one on the top rack is a good quality Antec SMPS used as the 12 volt power supply, the center one CD changer and the bottom houses the Mcintosh

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2016-12-12 at 1.48.38 PM.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	223299
      ICE, 4-way active - Eclipse CD7200mkii Head Unit, Kenwood KOS-300, Two Pioneer GM-X944 amps, Dayton midbass and wideband, Dayton AMT tweeters, Infinity Kappa sub, Ref. MX cables, entec speaker cables,
      Home: 3-way active: Dune Media Player, Parasound ZDAc v2, DBX 3-way analogue crossover, DIY 3-way tower speakers, 6-channel DNM amplifier: 2-way passive: Laptop source, TEAC UD301 DAC, 6J1 active tube buffer, Adcom amplifier, Infinity bookshelf and Wharfedale subwoofer

Audio Banned

Awesome

Shaking this thread after a long time.

Managed to source a ADCOM GFA-4302 in absolutely brand new condition.
      30 watts of Pure Class A bliss in what looks like a dual mono configuration.

This will not go into the car but will be part of my collection and used at home.

Name:	IMG_20170430_193340770.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	225883

Name:	IMG_20170430_193912.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	225884

Name:	IMG_20170430_182640329.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	225885

Name:	IMG_20170430_182559277.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	225886
      Last edited by gkannan; 5th May 2017 at 18:48.
      ICE, 4-way active - Eclipse CD7200mkii Head Unit, Kenwood KOS-300, Two Pioneer GM-X944 amps, Dayton midbass and wideband, Dayton AMT tweeters, Infinity Kappa sub, Ref. MX cables, entec speaker cables,
      Home: 3-way active: Dune Media Player, Parasound ZDAc v2, DBX 3-way analogue crossover, DIY 3-way tower speakers, 6-channel DNM amplifier: 2-way passive: Laptop source, TEAC UD301 DAC, 6J1 active tube buffer, Adcom amplifier, Infinity bookshelf and Wharfedale subwoofer

Audio Banned

Awesome

Sony XES-M3 2-channel amplifier

Here one more holy grail of an amp from, hold your breath...Sony, yes it is Sony from its golden days of audio....

Name:	top.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	225935

Name:	rear.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	225936

Name:	front.jpeg 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	225937

This amp from the Sony XES days, the zenith of Sony's achievement in mobile audio which also included one of the most revered SQ head unit XES-Z50. Excellent build quality and very nice finish. Lucky to find one in such a mint condition.

Sony XES-M3, Made in Japan, no compromise amp, build to last.

Some significant specs:
      Pure Discrete, twin mono circuit construction; Quartz-controlled MOSFET power supply; Triple-Darlington output configuration, 8 matched Sanken power amplifier chips, no onboard crossover, Ven Del Hul wiring, Pure Direct Drive, Matched Aluminium caps, vibration resistant transformers
      Very low THD and a high SNR; Damping factor: 300
      150 watt rms at 4 ohms stereo, 0.02% THD
      300 watt rms at 2 ohm stereo, 0.08% THD
      500 watt rms at 4 ohm mono, 0.1% THD

Associated Equipment:

Laptop with Plex server
      DAC-cum-preamp: Chromecast Audio
      Chromecast Audio analogue output connected directly to the Sony amp
      Heavily modded Infinity Reference 425 2-way bookshelf speakers

Name:	IMG_20170509_134454637.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	225939

Listening:
      One word goosebumps, what incredible control over the drivers, lows standout without being forward or dominant over the midrange, lots of presence.
      Detailed highs. It simply draws the very last last ounce from the speakers.

How does it compare to the much lower powered ADCOM Class A
      In one word Adcom is lush in the midrange, probably among the finest that I have heard till date, Both produce a very wide soundstage and excellent imaging as is expected from these breed of amps.
      Both the amps have a high damping factor which reflects in the control.
      I have heavily moded these Infinity speakers to suit my taste.

Which one would I prefer
      Hard to pick as both have their strengths...but musically I would give one star extra to Adcom because of the lushness to the midrange.
      With more power hungry speakers, Sony will probably outshine the ADCOM.
      But both are absolutely precious gems to own.

Feed very sad that the Sony will be going to a close friend in Calcutta

I welcome folks to come and have a listen.

Some more pics

The main board, power and amplification sit on different boards

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-05-09 at 13.43.35 (1).jpeg 
Views:	27 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	225931

Look at those caps

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-05-09 at 13.43.35 (7).jpeg 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	225932

Four Matched Sanken 2sa1216 power chips for each channel,

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-05-09 at 13.43.35.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	225933

Van Del Hul wiring

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-05-09 at 13.43.35 (6).jpeg 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	225934

Totally sealed gain pots for decades of trouble free performance

Name:	IMG_20170509_085953.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	272.3 KB 
ID:	225938
      Last edited by gkannan; 9th May 2017 at 16:03. Reason: heading changed

not aware that he can set his status here!

Hungry

Wow! Great find sir. This amp must be from early 90s.
      2015 Mercedes-Benz C200 Avantgarde
      2016 Hyundai Creta SX(O)
      2014 Tata Safari Storme EX
      2014 Hyundai Elite i20 Asta:
      Nexus 7 -> AK4490EQ -> miniDSP C-DSP| DLS A2 | Audible Physics RAM3a | Boston GT2125
      | Vaani Vector 6.5mkII | Rockford Fosgate T400-2 | Morel Ultimo SC

Awesome

Absolutely lovely setup!

The Bookshelfs could use to TLC/ Polish though. I see them with scratches or are those reflections?

Audio Banned

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by bhvm View Post
      The Bookshelfs could use to TLC/ Polish though. I see them with scratches or are those reflections?
      Yes....just some hurried spray paint, ofcourse some reflections aswell.

The original design of the Infinity included a 6.5 inch passive radiatior, the cabinet did not have satisfactory damping and the front baffle was weak.

This is the original design

Name:	RS425.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	291.5 KB 
ID:	225963

The bottom driver is the passive radiator.
      The drivers are perfectly aligned on the vertical axis but in a truncated design which was causing some edge diffractions, especially from the tweeters.
      The design flaw in the passive radiator was that it was the same size of the main driver and the phase was a little hard to control leading to slow decay of the lows. Though the passive driver aided in better lows they were not as well controlled. In a good design, the passive radiator should atleast be twice the size of the main woofer.

Modifications:
      1. Reinforced the speaker enclosure internals with addiitonal bracing.
      2. Removed the passive radiator and sealed the opening
      3. Added a 18mm MDF board to the front to reinforce and increase the front baffle thickness
      4. Completely flush mounted the tweeter and midbass. Tweeter and midbass depth aligned for a little time correction.
      5. Since I did not have the tools to taper the edges of the front baffle, cut an old round bamboo stick used to hang clothes for drying into 4 pieces and added vertically to the edges. The minimizes the edge diffraction and results in better BFC, imaging and a wider stage
      6. Added sealant to plug any chance of are leakage where the wood panels are joint.
      6. Added some internal damping with wool based material.
      7. Some small changes to the crossover.

Since the entire work was by hand, finish is a little below par, but luckily my ears do not see
      Still some work is pending on the rear internal panel.

Awesome

Beautiful sets.
      I generally don't fiddle with passive radiators due to the same reasons. They are extremely hard to tune. And if you have a wide taste of music, these could be unpredictable on some notes. A simpler, Sealed enclosure with good damping and a larger woofer (12 or 15) is much better any day, and much more forgiving with respect to Everything!. Esp in India finding passive radiators is a task and they don't offer any price benefits compared to simply a whole woofer.

Many A times, If I had place, I would choose 2 woofers rather than one. Connect them in Series to weaken the Impedance (Higher Number). The reasons are many fold. Weaker impedance alleviates load on the amp and keeps it cool. Dual woofers need to travel half as far for the same SPL and you get far shallower, More controlled excursions- Translating into better transient response and "Attack". Also not to mention whole setup becomes more efficient and long lived.

DIY Dual Woofer Setup (Hidden and Underseat): 6 Steps

And yes. Ears do not see. So my ears do not know that I keep using Automotive drivers for many of my Home projects or vice versa!

Audio Banned

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by bhvm View Post
      Many A times, If I had place, I would choose 2 woofers rather than one. Connect them in Series to weaken the Impedance
      It is better to use a single driver with a higher impedance, eg better to use a single 8 ohm driver instead of two 4 ohm drivers in series. Though multiple woofers give a larger surface area than a higher impedance woofer of the same size, they need a more complex design of crossover and matching.
      Amplifiers are most happier seeing a single voice coil.

By the way, nice implementation of the subwoofers in your SUV...quite innovative. What is the rest of the gear and how are the subs powered?

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by gkannan View Post
      It is better to use a single driver with a higher impedance, eg better to use a single 8 ohm driver instead of two 4 ohm drivers in series. Though multiple woofers give a larger surface area than a higher impedance woofer of the same size, they need a more complex design of crossover and matching.
      Amplifiers are most happier seeing a single voice coil.

By the way, nice implementation of the subwoofers in your SUV...quite innovative. What is the rest of the gear and how are the subs powered?
      Saw your comment on the instructables .
      Glad you liked.

1. Many a times i have used Drivers in series, and all my ears could feel were improvements. This method allows you to get more surface area without overloading the amplifier. Many times, you are not reaching the thermal/Electrical headroom but rather Mechanical headroom (XMAX) of the woofers. This is mostly true for "basstronics" kind of artifical bass. Some of the tones are 30Hz or below!

Can you elaborate on any shortcomings or problems as such?
      Never had to fiddle with the crossovers etc. Of course I am talking about similar drivers (EG dual 12 Inch woofers). If you series a 6 inch driver with a 12, it would be very funny!

2. The XUV woofers are powered by JBL GTX 646 amp (4ch) placed under drivers seat. Details in my thunderbolt thread-
      Mahindra XUV5OO Detailed Review (4 Years Report)

The Amp takes Signal from Mahindra/Nippon HU RCA out. Front two channels power small 6 inch underseats each. The rear channel can be used bridged or Individually for subs or speakers as when required.Simply using this-
      DIY Speaker/ Subwoofer Quick Disconnect: 3 Steps (with Pictures)

The larger (12, 15) woofers stay mostly at home. I carry them on long trips.
      6 inchers are permanent in car.
      Sometimes I carry a pair of 6x9s for a very balanced bass and vocal clarity that my wife loves on older songs.
      Once I carried Philips Bookshelfs in the rear just for the fun of it. And they too sounded nice.

Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849

Thread Information