• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki Swift Rough Road Package ;)

not aware that he can set his status here!

Secret

Suzuki Swift Rough Road Package ;)

With 5 on board i managed to lightly rub the underbody of the car couple of times on some bad roads Nagercoil Dist, since the govt doesn't seem to have any plans to mend these roads which i have to use frequently i decided to do what i could I'm very wary of underbody and can't stand the sound of metal grinding against asphalt and rock.

Presenting the Swift XOver

Driving impressions with me only and sometimes with a passenger:
      The springs are stiffer, so the car tend to stay flat around bends, not as bad as i thought the increased height would do to the handling.
      Over rough patches the car tends to wallow lesser than before. On my way to office there was this particular patch on the road where the car used to rock sideways when being driven over (i10 used to rock too much here, swift is better), now the sideways rocking has reduced and it tends to stay flat.
      When hitting potholes at speed the car seems to float over it with nary any impact transmitted into the cabin.

Driving with 5 on board:
      All of the above
      +
      With 5 on board the rear doesn't sag, it stays level so doesn't give that "loaded" feeling.

I will only decide to retain this setup after i take my next highway trip, which i don't think will happen anytime soon because of my parents health. If i do make this setup permanent (or till when i can afford hotbits) i'll be putting 15 inch alloys.

Yes the mirror cover is broken
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131216_180750.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	610.8 KB 
ID:	165233  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131216_180912.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	603.9 KB 
ID:	165234  

Secret

I used Ertiga (petrol) OEM front and rear springs for this mod. The price of four springs is lesser than what i've seen some rubber coil spring spacers are being sold for. If this mod is a keeper then the Ertiga dampers (front and rear) will be used when the current dampers wear out.

Forum Leader
      Diesel till I die!

Awesome

Handling effects? On smooth fast corners and on undulating fast corners?
      Please subscribe to the #Cochin hashtag for notifications on the Cochin meets.

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
      Same question form my side.

Apart form the above Q, did you measure how much height was increased? Did you measure some specific locations of the car before and after the mod?

Young riders pick a
      destination and go... Old
      riders pick a direction and go

Awesome

Hi supaCrank can you elaborate the modification little bit detail with images.

I have swift dzire diesel and I wish to raise the height as it sinks with full load.

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
      Yet to try those out at high speeds (above 100kph), but seems to hold good at 60-70kph i could manage in town on a few traffic free corners i could find. Not sure when i can get out of town (Because of dad's medical issue i told you about. The springs were ordered around a month and a half ago and it landed in the midst of this, so put them on. If i had known about what was in store then i wouldn't have done it now).

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
      Did you measure some specific locations of the car before and after the mod?
      My colleague has a same model VXI and mine stands about 2 inches higher overall. If i can get a side by side photo thats good enough i'll post it here. The wheel well gap between these two cars also show this difference.

Quote Originally Posted by shiva View Post
      Hi supaCrank can you elaborate the modification little bit detail with images.
      I don't have any WIP pics, but these were direct fit.

The Ertiga front springs are wider at the center and both ends are tapered and of the same size as that of the Swift's. Swift front springs are almost the same dia end to end with no bulge in the middle. I was a bit worried whether the ertiga front springs would clear the body and/or the tyre because of the bulge, but no probs in the end.

Rear springs are identical in shape except for the thicker coil of ertiga springs.

Note: Using ertiga front damper unit will raise the front end by another cm or two, but this should be done alongwith putting ertiga's front lower arm otherwise there will be too much positive camber. The lower arm should take care of this.
      Last edited by turbodiesel; 16th Dec 2013 at 20:16.

Young riders pick a

Awesome

Suzuki Swift Rough Road Package ;)

Thanks for your reply, So you have replaced the all four ertiga coil springs with the front both lower arm and dampers.

Have u checked the Wheel alignment now. Please post your highway drive experience.

Secret

Have u checked the Wheel alignment now. Please post your highway drive experience.
      Not yet, waiting for the springs to settle down, i'll get it checked after 500kms.

Thanks for your reply, So you have replaced the all four ertiga coil springs with the front both lower arm and dampers.
      Yes all 4 coil springs from ertiga petrol, didn't change the dampers. Once these stock dampers wear out i'll do something about it. Lower arm needs to be changed if ertiga front dampers are to be used.

Young riders pick a

Awesome

supaCrank couple of more queries.

Why you opted for a Ertiga petrol coil-springs against diesel ( I think Diesel version would be much stronger because of the additional engine weight)

So you suggest to replace the existing 4 coil spring of a swift to ertiga will solve the sinking problem. ( Hope its an direct fitment)

Please post your drive experience in city and highway as the soft suspension of the my swift dzire gives good feel in rough roads and cornering at high speed. ( My personal experience)

If its a direct fitment and don't affects the drive experience, I too can try in my vehicle

Secret

Why you opted for a Ertiga petrol coil-springs against diesel ( I think Diesel version would be much stronger because of the additional engine weight)

So you suggest to replace the existing 4 coil spring of a swift to ertiga will solve the sinking problem. ( Hope its an direct fitment)
      I thought about diesel spring in the front, but decided to go for ertiga petrol springs because of the possibility of using the ertiga front damper in future.
      I dont suggest anything now, because this setup isn't proven.. yet. Let me clock some miles on all kinds of roads before i can suggest. This is now at best trial and error, but so far it seems okay.

Please post your drive experience in city and highway as the soft suspension of the my swift dzire gives good feel in rough roads and cornering at high speed. ( My personal experience)
      I have heard that new Dzire's rear spring are softer than the hatch, but i can't vouch for this info. Maybe you can try swapping in the hatch's rear spring and see if you like it, its a 15 min job. Price of a set OEM rear springs is around 1600. If you were here i could've loaned you hatch rear springs for testing. If you don't have GC issues don't change the ride height.

--

SX4 springs are probably a good option too. Need to check that out.
      Last edited by turbodiesel; 17th Dec 2013 at 10:00.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information