• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki Swift Rough Road Package ;)

Young riders pick a
      destination and go... Old
      riders pick a direction and go

Awesome

Thanks would wait for your post feedback's on the long run

Slow Coach

Awesome

When you heighten your vehicle the camber changes. Unless you adjust the camber with adjustable strut mounting nuts, there can be slightly more tyre wear on the outer sides.

Suspension links:
      Wheel Alignment Explained
      http://www.spcalignment.com/faq/arti...vehicle_height

By lowering a vehicle 2 inches your front camber change will be approximately -1.50 degrees. Vice versa, by increasing the the height by 2" the camber will increase by +1.50 degrees.

I have ordered a set of camber adjustment nuts which can adjust upto + / - 1 degree. My car's right camber is +0.3 & left camber 0. Planning to to keep both at -0.5

I am using the polyurethane spacer rings/buffer cushion inserts in the struts. It increases the ride height by only 5mm
      Spring Buffer Cushion Insert - Page 4

Again the damper should be matched to the springs. If the springs are too stiff for the chassis & damper, the spring compression will be lesser & return rate faster.

I understood this when experimenting with the spring spacers. By correctly positioning the spring inserts in the spring, you can fine tune the spring rate. For eg: If you insert the spring spacers at the area where the spring coil winding gap is less the spring rate increases more, compared to inserting the spring spacer where the coil winding gap is more.

supacrank, since you have a petrol Swift wouldn't the diesel Swift springs suffice in the front without causing undue height increase?
      Last edited by eapen; 17th Dec 2013 at 10:40.
      Slow Coach

Slow Coach

Awesome

Suzuki Swift Rough Road Package ;)

Am planning to experiment with air suspension within a few months. It's an air bag inserted into a hollow spring. The weight bearing of the vehicle or the reduction of spring travel can be adjusted by filling the bags with more air.

It can be installed in cars for the rear suspension where the rear coil spring is independent of the shock.

Product details: Firestone Coilrite
      Product Information

http://www.firestoneip.com/site-reso...ation/4136.pdf

Attachment 165259
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Slow Coach

not aware that he can set his status here!

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by eapen View Post
      When you heighten your vehicle the camber changes. Unless you adjust the camber with adjustable strut mounting nuts, there can be slightly more tyre wear on the outer sides.
      Yeah, but it "looks" okay with no positive camber. Need to get it to an alignment shop to confirm for sure. I have the option of using ertiga's lower arm to compensate for the camber if required.

supacrank, since you have a petrol Swift wouldn't the diesel Swift springs suffice in the front without causing undue height increase?
      I need the extra height, the roads in some parts of interior TN that i used to frequnt are one laned with deep potholes and cliff like road edges. Come across a transport bus or a truck on this road there is no option other than to get off the road and if lucky i wont scrape the underbody. Sometimes wheels on both sides will go into the ditch at the same time making underbody vulnerable.Thus the requirement of extra GC.
      Using ertigas springs at both ends i can get a balanced increase in height without one end looking too tall.
      Am planning to experiment with air suspension within a few months. It's an air bag inserted into a hollow spring.
      Yep, saw these too, but more costly than a set of OEM springs so decided to skip them.

Secret

Update with some more driving impressions:
      +
      1) Tried some tight as well as swooping corners and the handling is great! The turn in is sharp and the car holds the line very well with no corrections required mid corner and feels very precise, it goes where i aim it. Body roll is minimised.
      2) Quick reacting to steering wheel input for direction changes.
      3) Better takeoff acceleration from standstill because of less weight transfer to the rear. The car doesn't sit on its back as much as it used to.

-
      1) Wish the rear springs were a bit less stiffer, like by 15 - 20%. Would be more comfy for single person trips. Still its way more comfy than when i had H&R springs on my AStar where the car used to bounce a lot even with 2 on board on any road thats less than perfect and break my back.
      2) Wheel well gap.

Slow Coach

Awesome

Ha ! supaCrank You are the one who posted about H&R lowering springs for Suzuki A-Star in team-bhp long back. I remember reading about it - it lowered you car & made it handle better with lesser comfort.

Thanks for that post - it is a learning experience from user feedback posts.

What next ? A lifted Suzuki Swift offroader with Monster Truck Tyres ?
      Slow Coach

Secret

Yes thats me. It did improve handling but not good for less than perfect surface.

I wouldn't mind something like in the pic below if i can get the 4x4 Swift's 4x4 kit from some european junkyard.

New Here (Before and After/Work in Progress) - NCDubs | VW Audi Porsche Performance News Tuning Forums
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03707.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	157.9 KB 
ID:	165565  

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by supaCrank View Post
      1) Wish the rear springs were a bit less stiffer, like by 15 - 20%.
      The car is now running with SX4 type 1 rear coil springs since the last two days and the ride quality is very good, i don't know the percentage but its less stiffer than the Ertiga ones, but still maintains around the same height as ertiga ones and is stiffer than the stock springs. Now the springs aren't making their presence shown through my body which is a good thing. Now the rear springs are sorted!

Awesome

so you have a set of Swift springs , a set of ertiga springs , a set of sx4 springs ? mostly your Local ASS will start calling you for spares in the suspension dept.

btw please post the cost of OE Springs you are buying and also the labor cost involved in all these swapping works .will be really help full.

as an OT which other car company can you Try this kind of an experiment with ?
      Since swift and ertiga are based on same platform this was possible .
      do you think this will be possible on a VERNA- i20 , Cruze -optra , manza-vista , sunny-micra ?

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by riyaz_cobra View Post
      o you think this will be possible on a VERNA- i20 , Cruze -optra , manza-vista , sunny-micra ?
      Cruze and Optra have different suspension setups, the former has a twist beam rear axle and the latter has a fully independent setup. So springs may not be interchangeable.
      Verna and i20 it could be possible, atleast the rears might be, if the rear spring placement is identical. Same case with Manza-Vista, Sunny-Micra, Fiesta-Figo, Jazz-City etc.
      Front springs need more investigation, for the spring dia could be different which could foul with body, also the spring shape could be different. Eg: Ertiga has larger dia front springs but thankfully it doesn't foul with Swift body. SX4 front springs are wider at the base at the spring perch and narrows as it goes up to the strut tower, the wide base won't fit in the swift strut without modifications.

so you have a set of Swift springs , a set of ertiga springs , a set of sx4 springs ?
      Ertiga full set, Swift petrol full set (got it with the car ), Sx4 rears only, Swift Diesel fronts only

btw please post the cost of OE Springs you are buying
      maruti springs are not very expensive, each spring costs between 600 to 800. these are OEM.
      Last edited by turbodiesel; 13th Jan 2014 at 11:46.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information