Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bangalore to Kumbakonam Route info needed.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Safe Journey Bro!!!!
    Indica Xeta 1.4L
    RE Machismo 350
    Sold : Bajaj Pulsar 150

GearHead
    Forza Ferrari!!!

So Guys, Am back.

I took the routes suggested here.

Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Tvmalai - Thirukoilur - Panrutti - Kumbakonam.

Route back,
    Thanjavur - Thiruvaiyaru - Ariyalur - Perumbalur - Attur - Salem - Bangalore.

Route Updates:

Krishnagiri to Thiruvannamali route is bad. Full of patches guarantee you a bumpy ride and way too many potholes.

Tvmalai inside is horrible... No roads at all and had to crawl till we reach Thirukovilur road. From there to Thirukovilur, is the best stretch. Super smooth roads you can easily do 120. Knda like Hassan - Belur stretch . Thirukovilur to Panrutti is good. Smooth roads mostly, patches and potholes do come now and then. Entire stretch, we have to be very careful of these potholes.

Route back is quite good. Thanjavur to Perambalur, mixture of good roads with patches and potholes. From Perambalur to Attur, route is mostly very smooth, seems to be relaid recently. BUt again, need to be very careful of the potholes. they do appear quite often.

Worst stretch, Attur to Salem. 4 laning going on.. Horrible stretch. Very few smooth roads, full of bumps and not nice at all.

Btw, the NH7 is becoming quite bumpy. The left lane of thoppur ghat section towards Krishnagiri has very become very bad. My car kept moving towards the right lane there... dunno, a u shaped bend is there alll throughout in the ghat section

the SHs though were beautiful to drive on.

hope it is helpful to all
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    -Calvin

Dai!!!

Thats good about the trip and the NH should be done by the time i hit Thanjavur waiting for the travelogue..
    Indica Xeta 1.4L
    RE Machismo 350
    Sold : Bajaj Pulsar 150

Forum Leader

KRRaj, great update, thanks.
    Is the turn off to Tirukoilur from inside T'Malai town itself?
    Where exactly do you intersect NH45 when you are coming from Tirukoilur? Are there good signages to indicate the road to Panruti?
    Attur-Salem has been a bad road ever since I first travelled in it in the '80s. Hopefully, once the 4-laning from Veppur (NH45) is complete, it will be the best way to go to Coimbatore and Kochi from Chennai region.
    H V Kumar

On the lookout for more 4
    wheel victims.

Quote Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
    Btw, the NH7 is becoming quite bumpy. The left lane of thoppur ghat section towards Krishnagiri has very become very bad. My car kept moving towards the right lane there... dunno, a u shaped bend is there alll throughout in the ghat section
    The Thopur ghat was recently repaired? Had become almost unusable earlier. Overloaded trucks together with the searing heat is damaging it all too soon again.

Truck Driver

Thanks for the update, Raj! From Perambalur which route did you take to reach Attur? Did you went through the Ariyalur Bypass or inside the town? Also, how was the room and service in Hotel Temple Tower now?
    Xylo E8 - 2010
    Nano CX - 2012

GearHead
    Forza Ferrari!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
    KRRaj, great update, thanks.
    Is the turn off to Tirukoilur from inside T'Malai town itself?
    Where exactly do you intersect NH45 when you are coming from Tirukoilur? Are there good signages to indicate the road to Panruti?
    Attur-Salem has been a bad road ever since I first travelled in it in the '80s. Hopefully, once the 4-laning from Veppur (NH45) is complete, it will be the best way to go to Coimbatore and Kochi from Chennai region.
    Yeah. We have to go inside the town for Tirukovilur turn-off. No signs, had to ask and go. Finally saw a small hidden signboard saying take right to Thirukovilur and left to Villupuram.

Sorry, I dont know exactly where we intersect NH45, but it is easily recognisable as it goes as a overhead bridge and it is the only one on this route. On this entire sign boards are simply missing at most intersections. Once I take the correct route, the milestone comes tho' Single straight road to Panruti.

Quote Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post
    The Thopur ghat was recently repaired? Had become almost unusable earlier. Overloaded trucks together with the searing heat is damaging it all too soon again.
    Dunno. Looks laid and smooth, but there are some sort of undulations in one of the lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by carcrazy79 View Post
    Thanks for the update, Raj! From Perambalur which route did you take to reach Attur? Did you went through the Ariyalur Bypass or inside the town? Also, how was the room and service in Hotel Temple Tower now?
    From Perambalur, I took the route which passes through Konneripalyam. On this route, there are very good signages from Thanjavur via Thiruvaiyaru. I did not take any bypasses anywhere. All through the towns only. The room was ok and the service also was just Ok. Food is too expensive. When power goes off, only lights and fan function. No A/C and TV. Atleast it is outside the town.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    -Calvin

Dai!!!

Truck Driver

Thanks for the update, Raj!
    Xylo E8 - 2010
    Nano CX - 2012

Any idea about the roads from Kumbakonam to Ulundurpet via Jayamkondan/Vridachalam
    • What we wish will come true one day. We require only Faith & Patience.

Truck Driver

Jayamkondan to Vridachalam roads are superb. It's a newly laid road and you will be surprised that though it is a 2 lane road it's all laid without cutting any villages. You will feel as if you're going on a Bypass.

From Vridachalam to Uludurpet, it's a big mess... Bad roads with lot of bumps and potholes. I did this route about a month back and enjoyed my drive from Jayamkondan to Vridachalam.
    Xylo E8 - 2010
    Nano CX - 2012

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information