• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: 2.1 Home audio system in WagonR

new member :D

Awesome

Question 2.1 Home audio system in WagonR

hello members
      this is my first question here, so apologize for my mistakes.

My father doesnt allow me to install Bass Tube and AMPs because most of the time we drive on Highways with luggage bags in Trunk and installing speaker tray is not possible. therefor, i dont have any music system in my car.
      My maximum budget is 4k (my pocket money) So i am thinking of buying a "F&D A521 2.1" speakers and a "DC to 220v AC inverter (150watts)" as Music system and Power source for Laptop, Camera battrey charger.
      My doubt is that i have already installed "One 100/130 and One 100/90 Philips Rally bulb" in my RHS and LHS headlights.
      and THAT above mentioned system will suck around 60Watts of more power. does my battrey is enough for providing this amount of juice or not??? or should i stick to default 6x9inch sony speakers and normal USB stereo.
      And any idea for the DC/AC converter?? Flipkart, snapdeal, rediff are selling these converter for 1000 Rs. but dont know about the brand and quality of product. Should i go to Lajpat nagar or Kashmeeri gate car markets (delhi)??
      please help. THANK YOU.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by toshar View Post
      drive on Highways with luggage bags in Trunk and installing speaker tray is not possible.
      It is possible to have the speaker tray as a removable option, They will usually solder a rca connector to the speaker wires and make it so that when travelling, the speakers can be unplugged and the parcel tray be removed. I've a similar arrangement in my car for my subwoofer box so it can be removed. Try not to go for the 2.1/home audio route, imagine how weird and inconvenient it would be, hooking up laptop and all that when driving, it would be unsafe and quite a distraction, also the speakers should be properly mounted in the car. Do buy a nice car headunit + speakers so you can comfortably control it. As your budget is 4k, I would recommend you buy a second hand system for now. I have seen some people install 6x9 speakers in a separate removable ported box in the rear, this should give you the best bang for buck with a fairly decent amount of bass. I would suggest you avoid Sony speakers and go for something a little better, perhaps some Jbl speakers might come within budget.

Awesome

I you want to use a 2.1 home theater system you don't need to get a power converter.. Since most of them use a 12v step down transformer with bridge rectifier..
      You can trace the circuit and directly tap the 12v from the car by bypassing the transformer and rectifier circuit.. Use a on/off switch with fuse in series..

This will be a very low budget install and it'll work without any problem..
      Last edited by The14bhp; 4th Feb 2014 at 21:35.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by mogambo View Post
      Try not to go for the 2.1/home audio route, imagine how weird and inconvenient it would be
      thank you.
      I was thinking to Put the two Sattelite speakers under the front seats and Woofer in trunk and will hook them to RCA car headunit (Comfortabl control).
      A round trip of 500kms to 1400kms without the main speakers whould be a booring trip. Actualy that 2.1 system is prety good in Music quality/clarity (Strong seprate Bass unit 6.5" wooden box) and thats the thing all i want. Main promblem is power supply (Rally Bulbs).
      But now, how about 6x9 pioneer(TS-R6950S 300W 3-way) speakers in 'REMOVABLE ported box'.+ some default branded USB headunit. i can extend my budget to 6k. but i have no idea about the Music quality and Bass frequency produced by Pioneers. which one would be better. Please
      JBL site is under construction :/ .

Quote Originally Posted by The14bhp View Post
      Since most of them use a 12v step down transformer with bridge rectifier..
      Sir, disassembling the Subwoofer unit will void its warranty. that 2.1 56rms system will cost me 2k + 1k approx for power Converter. Headunit is already installed.
      and remaining 1.5 k for wires, spare fuses, spare rally bulbs, etc.
      Current power consomption is 100w+130w+ misc 150w= Max 400watts. Putting another 150w DC/AC equipment will affect my cars electricals or not?

Awesome

Put the two Sattelite speakers under the front seats
      Doing this is not the right way, the satellite speakers should always be in direct line of sight with the ears, putting it under the seat will make it sound muffled. Subwoofer can be tucked away and thats fine.
      I would always recommend buying a regular car system. If your 2.1 route does not work, you will have wasted 4k. But if your car system is not powerful enough, you can always add on the additional components with time.

A car system can get pretty expensive, but you can always get it fitted bit by bit. Pioneer speakers tend to be loud but the sound quality is usually poor, JBL has better sound quality that way. You will not get that much bass with 6x9s, you will just get a decent level of bass. To get good thumping bass, you will need to buy a sub+amp, but you can do this slowly over time, since you already have a headunit, you can try buying a cheap/2nd hand 2/4 channel amp and use it with the 6x9s, you can later buy a sub and connect that to the amp. If you manage to buy a 4 channel amp, you will be able to connect the sub and the speakers together.

For now, my suggestion is to buy the 6x9 ovals and install them either on a plank(less bass effect but will leave space for sub/luggage later) or in a ported box(plan the space for sub). You can later add a 4 channel amp and power the ovals with the amp. If you fit the amp neatly behind the seat, you will not need to remove it while travelling. Later, you can add the sub or if you think the bass is ok, you can add components in the front and connect to amp.

Awesome

if your car system is not powerful enough, you can always add on the additional components with time.
      Yes, you are right i will go for a regular car music system.
      sealed removable box with Kenwood KFC-S6994 5-way or JBL - GTO 949 3-way + New USB Headunit+ Floor Vinyl and matts. (budget extended)
      JBL site is still blocked, thats why i am on kenwood's side because of its 5-way.
      one last question please.. both jbl(2ohm) and kenwood(4ohm) speakers above have 400w-500w of Peak Power and 100rms-120rms resp. Does it really matter?? because i have a Edifier DA5000pro home theater system (100rms) and i judge HT speakers/woof by their cone diameter, subW/amp weight, wood/plastic quality. SO i have no idea which one would be better and how to judge them with dimensions. And any suggestion for 6x9 speakers(4.5k) ??
      thank a lot.

Awesome

(budget extended)
      Now that your budget is extended, you can go about this in a different way. Please go thru this very nice introduction thread ICE!-An-introduction

If you are planning on powering the speakers with head unit, then 2ohm speakers will sound louder as it can draw more power. Example, an amp rated at 100 watts at 4 ohm might go upto 150 watts or higher at 2 ohms provided the amp supports it. Also remember that your headunit can only supply around 18w rms so to get the full effect you will need to add an amp. The JBLs should sound louder on the headunit I think since they are 2ohm.

If possible, try to install component speakers in the front (in the door) and add a 4 channel amplifier + sub at the back. Connect the components and the sub to the amp. Rear speakers can be added later. If price is a constraint, add the rear oval speakers first(connected to HU) so that the components,sub and the amp can be added later.

I have not heard Kenwood speakers so I cant really comment much on that. Generally Infinity speakers are the recommended nowadays, it seems to be available for a pretty low price on purplekart so you can check that.
      Last edited by mogambo; 11th Feb 2014 at 19:10.

Awesome

headunit can only supply around 18w rms so to get the full effect you will need to add an amp.
      Most of the 6x9 Speakers have around 100rms of power. So an Amp is a 'must' to provide enough power and will Definitely go for it just after few months(future proof ).
      Thank you for the ICE thread, now i understood 2-4Ohm, Wattage-rms, component-coaxial,etc.
      Now, as i know what is an amp and planing to buy it very soon. Therefor, i will go for 3-4Ohm speakers JBL, Kenwood, Infinity or whichever good is available in the market. So that, they perform well with the Amp afterwards. For now, i will hook them to HU, and as ICE thread said, 18rms would be fine. even 15rms sound would make me happy

i will add front component speakers (dashboard, under windshield in WagonR lxi) if they come in budget.

Thank you very much sir for such a quick response and well guidance.
      Hopefully, my daddy will buy me a fortuner if i complete my b.tech(aero) with good marks and a placement.

Thread Information