• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Polo 1.2P Comfortline a Right Choice? ( Peace of Mind?)

Together we stand, divided we
      fall...

Awesome

Question Is Polo 1.2P Comfortline a Right Choice? ( Peace of Mind?)

Hello Everyone!

This is my first post at Gearheads and I am super excited about being a part of this community.

I have been dreaming about owning a car right from my childhood days. The desire to own a car has now moved to its next level as I am finally ready to own one (sincerely hoping so). Here are my requirements:

1. Budget: Max 6.5 Lakhs
      2. Location: Bangalore
      3. Monthly Running: 500Kms (Max)
      4. Fuel: Petrol
      5. Purpose: Weekends and occasional highway drives.
      6. Expected feature/Priorities (in order of importance):
        1. Safety
        2. Reliability
        3. Decent Power for City/Highway drive.
        4. Comfort
        5. Moderate Maintenance Cost.

The most important thing that I want in my car is Safety' - First, Strong Build/Structural quality, second ABS, and then Airbags. Everyone (my friends and colleagues) laugh at me when I talk about importance of safety in a car.

Anyways, based on my requirement, I am considering the following cars:

VW Polo 1.2P (CL): I am inclined very much towards Polo (love the killed looks and build quality) as it meets my requirement in terms of Safety aspects, but itís kind of expensive and little worried about Total cost of ownership (maintenance cost, reliability, etc. etc.).

Ford Figo Titanium: Figo seems like a good VFM car but I have read that the Petrol engine in Figo is very underpowered. Build quality seems to be okay.

Ritz ZXI: I like the looks, I know that the engine is one of the best, price seems okay for the ZXI variant, BUT the I found the build quality to be very bad if not pathetic (so is the case with every Maruti car? right?).

My heart says go for Polo, I can stretch my budget a little to own the Comfortline variant. Buying VW Polo is not going to be a very easy decision from financial point of view. Being from a middle-class family, it'll hurt my finances a little BUT I am ready to bear that ONLY if Iíll have complete peace of mind. Iíve read horror stories (breakdown, repairing cost ranging from 20K to 4Lacks) from Polo owners and something like that happens to me, Iíll be in great trouble.

So guys, please help me out in making the right decision.

Note: I havenít test driven any car yet. I just started my driving lessons about a week back.

I am aware now

Awesome

binod049 If this is going to be your first car and the car you will learn to drive in and a petrol then I would suggest you get something from Maruthi. Reason being that in case of a hit or a bump, VW will put a huge hole in the pocket. Also the cost of ownership of a VW is much higher than a Maruthi. When you include the cost of ownership apart from periodic service add the insurance cost too.

Ritz or Swift with all safety features would be my pick. Good luck with your decision and let us know the same.
      2004 Bajaj Discover 125 DTSi - 26000 KM - Sold
      2012 Suzuki GS150R
      2012 Ford Figo Diesel Titanium

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by binod049 View Post
      I haven’t test driven any car yet. I just started my driving lessons about a week back.
      I think you might drop Polo 1.2P once you drive it. Swift/Ritz would any day better Polo 1.2P in pickup/acceleration.

Quote Originally Posted by rharish View Post
      If this is going to be your first car and the car you will learn to drive in and a petrol then I would suggest you get something from Maruthi. Reason being that in case of a hit or a bump, VW will put a huge hole in the pocket. Also the cost of ownership of a VW is much higher than a Maruthi. When you include the cost of ownership apart from periodic service add the insurance cost too.

Ritz or Swift with all safety features would be my pick. Good luck with your decision and let us know the same.
      +1.

Aural Nirvana :-)

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
      I think you might drop Polo 1.2P once you drive it. Swift/Ritz would any day better Polo 1.2P in pickup/acceleration.
      I feel to the contrary. Both have different powerbands, infact, me and 2 of my friends chose a Polo over Swift after TDing both!!!
      Having fun watching time fly by....

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by The_Watcher View Post
      I feel to the contrary. Both have different powerbands, infact, me and 2 of my friends chose a Polo over Swift after TDing both!!!
      On Polo 1.2 you need to work to make it accelerate, while swift just needs your accelerator input without all the drama and vibrations of Polo 1.2.

“Driving is better than
      walking, because hitting is
      better than being hit.”

Awesome

Engine wise Swift/Ritz is better , Its rev happy engine , more refined also Gears are smoother But polo has good steering feedback and also with additional weight feels more grounded.

I will suggest dont rush , complete your driving lesson , if you can 'arrange" car for few months that will be great , then take TD and finalise .
      ----- Pushkaraj -----
      Bikes*** 1996 Kinetic Luna (sold ) , 2000 Bajaj scooter (sold ),2003 Black Hero Honda splendour (sold),2005 Blue Hero Honda Splendour (sold),2007 Hero Honda super Splendour ( sold )2009 Honda Activa ( using )
      Cars*** 2007 Ford Ikon Flair (sold ),2012 Grande Punto MJD E+ (sold),2014 Skoda Rapid TDI (using)

Aural Nirvana :-)

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
      On Polo 1.2 you need to work to make it accelerate, while swift just needs your accelerator input without all the drama and vibrations of Polo 1.2.
      On Swift you need 4.5k RPM to have fun, on Polo you need 2.5k to make it sing. The low end is considerably stronger on the polo as compared to swift and i20. And please don't go by the power figures of both, as VAG cars put up the on Wheel figures for power, unlike other car companies whose numbers are at the crank.
      Having fun watching time fly by....

I trust in Bhai!

Awesome

Polo 1.2 sucks big time with respect to power delivery. However, it will tick your build quality and safety criteria.
      Maintenance cost would be on the higher side. If your going for polo, get a zero dep insurance and that should give you some peace.

If you are looking for a petrol , ill strongly suggest you to test drive the Grand i10/ Honda Brio also.

Reboot
      Curiosity killed the cat;
      Insecurity killed the man

Hungry

Blog Entries
      Why not the Brio. Other day i drove that car - pretty cool, Go kart type handling. Decent power delivery at lower rpms and revvs till 5.5k
      RIP Penguin May 2013 - Dec 2015

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

I would agree that the Polo trumps the Swift in terms of build quality, fit and finish and paint quality. But that 3-Pot 1.2L NA Petrol Motor simply cannot even hold a candle to the Swift or for that matter to any other competing car with a 1.2L engine as well. Simply put the Hyundai, Maruti, Honda 1.2L NA petrol engines are way superior and refined compared to the highly noisy 1.2L Petrol Polo. Though its got just about decent power for the segment, its honestly the High NVH levels, refinement and driveability of this VW motor that leaves a lot to be desired.

Having said that, the Polo 1.2TSi Petrol is a freaking scorcher!!!
      Last edited by prince85; 30th May 2014 at 09:43.
      Volkswagen Polo Highline 1.6
      Suzuki SX4 ZXi MT (Leather Pack)

Alpine ICS-X8
      Mosconi ZERO-4
      Hybrid Audio Technologies Legatia L6SE Carbon + L2X + L1ProR2
      Hybrid Audio Technologies Legatia L6SE
      Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdCP - Image Dynamics IDQ12V3.D4 x 2
      Dynamat Xtreme - DynaTape - Focal B.A.M. XL
      Kicker - Stinger - XScorpion - Monster - Chord - Connection Audison - Shok.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information