Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Road conditions from Chennai to Thanjavur

Truck Driver

Road conditions from Chennai to Thanjavur

Hi GHs,

I am driving from Chennai to Thanjavur this weekend. My usual route is NH45 till Trichy and then take the Trichy - Thanjavur NH. Can someone let me know the current road status from Vikravandi to Thanjavur. One of my friends took this route about 4 months back and the road conditions were horrible that time. Guess what, he had to leave his Esteem in Garage to replace the front left suspension.

Also, is the 4 laning work from Trichy - Thanjavur NH completed? As I love driving in the nights, I am planning to leave from Chennai by Friday afternoon/ evening and reach Thanjavur by late night.

Hope the road condition from Thanjavur to Perambalur via Thiruvaiyaru and Ariyalur (byepassing Trichy) is still good??!! I am planning to take that route back to Chennai.

Please advice!

Forum Leader
    not aware that he can set his status here!

The Vikravandi route is not that bad, rough but nothing there to break a car.
    Road widening on NH67 to Thanjavur is still going on, diversions, etc, but road is not that bad.
    H V Kumar

Truck Driver

Hi Sir, any idea about the route from Thanjavur to Perambalur via Thiruvaiyaru and Ariyalur, is it still good??!! I did it about a year back and the road was superb with less/ no traffic.

Forum Leader

Quote Originally Posted by carcrazy79 View Post
    Hi Sir, any idea about the route from Thanjavur to Perambalur via Thiruvaiyaru and Ariyalur, is it still good??!! I did it about a year back and the road was superb with less/ no traffic.
    Unfortunately, neither nor anyone I know has travelled on that road for quite sometime. Last heard of - maybe a year ago - some bridge on that route was being rebuilt. But I have no current updates
    H V Kumar

Truck Driver

Gotcha! I am planning to take that route back from Thanjavur to Chennai. I will let you know the road conditions in that stretch.

Super Moderator

Update from someone who travelled in January 2010:
    i left this morning at about 515 am, took the maduravoyil bypass to vandalur and got onto NH 45. it was straight onto Trichi on the 45. by passed villipuram and all majore towns on the way. I personally believe this route is better than the madras bangalore GQ. the toll is a LOT more expensive. I paid roughly 300 rupees in toll alone at about 6 toll booths. the 7th was not yet comissioned (just outside trichi) and the 8th is being constructed (outside Vallam near thanjavur).

the road conditions till trichi is awesome, but for some real classical morons who come on the wrong side. one needs to be very cautious about 30kms from trichi where the frequency of the said idiots increase drastically. there is an overpass being constructured between the junction of NH 45 and NH 67. one needs to take the left there and head towards thanjavur.

That stretch is quite bad. 4 laning happening at various points and to get out of trichi town takes patience. once one crosses BHEL then you can put toe foot on the gas and go.

At Vallam (i hope the spelling is correct) you drive through the village, so drive cautiously. flyover work oin the 4 lanes also happening, so just one place where one could get confused, just outside thanjavur. the junction with 45A, 67 and SH 207 (i think)
    come to the circle and take the left bend, that takes you to Thanjavur.
    Feb 1997 Bajaj KB125 RTZ 49K km
    Mar 2003 Tata Indica V2 LSi 130K km
    Jan 2007 Tata Safari 3.0 DiCOR EX 4x4 148K km

Truck Driver

Thanks for the information, hrag!

Truck Driver

Thought I would inform about the route from Thanjavur to Chennai via Thiruvaiyaru and Ariyalur to join NH 45 in Perambalur thereby avoiding congested Trichy and narrow, curvy Kumbakonam stretch. The road is good for almost 95% and has some potholes but drivable.

The bridge that Kumar Sir says is toll only for heavy vehicles. The distance between Thanjavur to Perambalur in this route is only around 65 Kms and there is very less/ no traffic. From Chennai, I took the Trichy route to reach Thanjavur and the trip meter showed almost 95 kms from Perambalur to Thanjavur.

My suggestion to our GHs members driving to Thanjavur/ Pudukottai/ Thiruvarur/ Mannarkudi, etc…, from Chennai is to take NH45 till Perambalur, and upon reaching Perambalur take the road that goes left before the 1st flyover which will take you to Thanjavur via Ariyalur and Thiruvaiyaru.

The total travel time from Chennai to Thanjavur via Trichy was 5.40 hours including around 40 minutes break (345 Kms) and the total travel time from Thanjavur to Chennai via Ariyalur was 4.55 hours including around 45 minutes break (310 Kms).

Pit-stops - Arya Vilas in Villupuram Bypass right at the end of the Bypass towards left side from Chennai and same Arya Vilas right after Ulundurpet Toll Plaza towards left side from Chennai have good food, speedy servings and clean rest rooms. For Non-Veggies there is Hotel Ponnusamy (not sure if this is the same Ponnusamy that’s in Chennai) in Villupuram Bypass right after the Tiruvannamalai intersection towards left side from Chennai.

Thanks,
    Sundar

Forum Leader

Sundar, thanks for the update. Looks like this is the best route to Thanjavur.
    H V Kumar

Truck Driver

Yes, Sir! You're correct.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information