• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Audio Build-up

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Venki, I am no good at maths so figures have little meaning for me. Adding up even single digit numbers sometimes cause me problems like adding 8 and 7. Mine is purely a ear and sight method using a tone generator (if there is no tone generator then single bass notes from you tube will suffice) and ball park figure for the size of the box. Each pair of boxes is tuned for that particular room and taking into consideration exactly where the box is going to be placed since bass extension and perceived loudness is greatly dependent on room acoustics and final placement. I am a hands on type of guy and hence had to device methods to circumvent the need for calculations, since finally it is the sound for individual pair of ears that matter. Tastes vary too as regards the amount of bass and there are low bass junkies
      for whom even these pair of earphones are found to be inadequate. I am like WTF; how could anyone tolerate more bass than these earphones since these things are very loud even at extreme low frequencies of 18 hertz. http://www.sony.co.in/product/mdr-xb90ex
      Would love to meet you at the next meet.

Audio Banned

Awesome

drpullockaran venki7744

I too am thinking of sticking to the unidriver philosophy. I am just using my old tower enclosure.
      Will post RTA graphs with pink noise. Will also post pics of the current speaker boxes.
      Please do guide on where to correct the problems.

Regards
      Kannan
      ICE, 4-way active - Eclipse CD7200mkii Head Unit, Kenwood KOS-300, Two Pioneer GM-X944 amps, Dayton midbass and wideband, Dayton AMT tweeters, Infinity Kappa sub, Ref. MX cables, entec speaker cables,
      Home: 3-way active: Dune Media Player, Parasound ZDAc v2, DBX 3-way analogue crossover, DIY 3-way tower speakers, 6-channel DNM amplifier: 2-way passive: Laptop source, TEAC UD301 DAC, 6J1 active tube buffer, Adcom amplifier, Infinity bookshelf and Wharfedale subwoofer

venkidoesitmyself.wordpress.co
      m

Angry

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by gkannan View Post
      I am just using my old tower enclosure.
      Will post RTA graphs with pink noise
      Are you going to do near field measurement. If not you might have to place the speaker in an anechoic room, or try gated impulse response till about 200-250 hz and near field below that (if you are trying to get the true response of the speakers). Looking forward to the measurements.

Trying to build a IB for measuring tweets and mids in far field.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
      I am a hands on type of guy and hence had to device methods to circumvent the need for calculations, since finally it is the sound for individual pair of ears that matter.
      Unfortunately good ears is what I dont have so always trusting on maths and stuff. In fact you can call me lefty .

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by venki7744 View Post
      Are you going to do near field measurement. If not you might have to place the speaker in an anechoic room, or try gated impulse response till about 200-250 hz and near field below that (if you are trying to get the true response of the speakers). Looking forward to the measurements.
      Can't we measure outside the room, in open air when atmosphere is quiet?

Audio Banned

Awesome

Trying to build a IB for measuring tweets and mids in far field.
      I do not have a suitable mike to do such precise measurements. What I have is a Dayton Audio EMM-6 which can be used with ipad and is quite ok for mid and high frequency correction. I will do both near field and listening position (far field) measurements and post the graphs.
      I don't think with this mike is good for a gated impulse response in the mentioned frequency ranges. Have to depend on the ears to correct that.
      ICE, 4-way active - Eclipse CD7200mkii Head Unit, Kenwood KOS-300, Two Pioneer GM-X944 amps, Dayton midbass and wideband, Dayton AMT tweeters, Infinity Kappa sub, Ref. MX cables, entec speaker cables,
      Home: 3-way active: Dune Media Player, Parasound ZDAc v2, DBX 3-way analogue crossover, DIY 3-way tower speakers, 6-channel DNM amplifier: 2-way passive: Laptop source, TEAC UD301 DAC, 6J1 active tube buffer, Adcom amplifier, Infinity bookshelf and Wharfedale subwoofer

venkidoesitmyself.wordpress.co
      m

Angry

Blog Entries
      Technically you can but need to make sure that there is no ground reflection hence you might have to lift the box to a good height.
      gkannan sire, I am still a noob when its comes to understanding RTA measurement. People like Mi10, piyush7243 are few expert I know in GH hence tagging them.
      Last edited by venki7744; 20th Sep 2014 at 19:09.

Audio Banned

Awesome

Technically you can but need to make sure that there is no ground reflection hence you might have to lift the box to a good height.
      gkannan sire, I am still a noob when its comes to understanding RTA measurement. People like Mi10, piyush7243 are few expert I know in GH hence tagging them.
      Yeah the speakers were raised. Posting the RTA measurements.

Just to show how decent the quality of the Dayton Audio iMM-6 mic is, here are two pics of mic response at zero noise levels.

zero noise RTA with ipad in-built mic
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ipad mic.PNG 
Views:	12 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	192390

zero noise RTA with imm-6 mic

Name:	imm6.PNG 
Views:	11 
Size:	159.9 KB 
ID:	192391

RTA measuremenst with pink noise and flat EQ

near field left speaker

Name:	LC NF.PNG 
Views:	11 
Size:	159.1 KB 
ID:	192392

near field right speaker

Name:	RC NF.PNG 
Views:	10 
Size:	160.6 KB 
ID:	192393

at listening position both channels

Name:	ST AMBIO.PNG 
Views:	9 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	192394

I then measured the response by playing test tones at selected frequencies between 60 hz and 20 khz and drew a graph. There were peaks at 315hz, 800hz and 8 khz. The response started to drop below 60 hz and above 16 khz.

Name:	curve.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	420.1 KB 
ID:	192385

The EQ setting in foobar based after adjusting for peaks and dips in the RTA.

Name:	EQ setting.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	192388

RTA measurement after EQ adjustment

Name:	after EQ.PNG 
Views:	8 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	192395
      Last edited by gkannan; 22nd Sep 2014 at 00:26. Reason: reduced image sizes

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by gkannan View Post
      Just to show how decent the quality of the Dayton Audio iMM-6 mic is,
      Which app are you using ? And how did manage the zero noise environment?

Audio Banned

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
      Which app are you using ? And how did manage the zero noise environment?
      app is audio tools.
      late at night when things get real quiet.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

kannan sir are you using a Correlated or Uncorrelated Pink Noise? What kind or curve are we looking to achieve here. The first pic one looks to be going to a Peak at 20Khz.
      Clarion NX-706| Biketronics BT4180 | Sinfoni Allegro | Soundigital 1200.1 | Audible Physics Brahma6W | Audible Physics NZ3AlBe | Morel Ultimo | Klotz 12ga LY225t| Mogami RCA| Pure Silver RCA

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information