• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Results 1 to 7 of 7

    Thread: Used 2012/13 BMW x1 worth considering???

    1. #1

      Enjoying the roar of a V8!!!
       
      Awesome
       
      gnishan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2012
      Location
      Atlanta, USA - Chennai, India
      Posts
      131

      Used 2012/13 BMW x1 worth considering???

      Guys, im looking for some nice cars in the 15 to 25 lakh range. The car's usage pattern will be medium (approx 8000kms per year), usage will be 70% city and 30% highways, will sell the car after 4 or 5 years and it will be self driven.

      First preference will be for any car among the three premium brands and the order of preference will be BMW, Mercedes and then the Audi. Did not consider the Volvo S60 D3/D5 because of service factors and very poor rear seat.

      I liked the BMW x1, since it is compact, fun to drive, excellent transmission and lot of good used cars to select from in 18-20 lakh range. I'm actually eyeing on a particular BMW x1 Highline, 2012 model, silver colour with 36,000kms, NO extended BMW secure package and comes for an attractive price (known seller).

      I was also thinking about less driven Mercedes C220 cdi in the 21 to 23 Lakh range.

      I liked the new Octavia TDi Elegance. But, long waiting period and Skoda's after sales service reviews are keeping me away from it. The VW Jetta is a nice option too and i feel its good VFM car, but feels out-dated (especially the interiors). In the SUV segment, i might consider the Xuv500. But, Captiva and fortuner are out of my short-list due to the price. I feel those two SUVs are NOT value for money options unless you drive a lot every year.

      So based on my usage pattern, do you guys think its better to go for a new car in that price range (15 to 25Lakh) or 2012/13 BMW X1 is a good option in 18 to 20 lakh range?

    2. #2
      Hunting for Cheetah
       
      Awesome
       

      Join Date
      Feb 2014
      Posts
      88
      Quote Originally Posted by gnishan View Post
      Guys, im looking for some nice cars in the 15 to 25 lakh range. The car's usage pattern will be medium (approx 8000kms per year), usage will be 70% city and 30% highways, will sell the car after 4 or 5 years and it will be self driven.

      First preference will be for any car among the three premium brands and the order of preference will be BMW, Mercedes and then the Audi. Did not consider the Volvo S60 D3/D5 because of service factors and very poor rear seat.

      I liked the BMW x1, since it is compact, fun to drive, excellent transmission and lot of good used cars to select from in 18-20 lakh range. I'm actually eyeing on a particular BMW x1 Highline, 2012 model, silver colour with 36,000kms, NO extended BMW secure package and comes for an attractive price (known seller).

      I was also thinking about less driven Mercedes C220 cdi in the 21 to 23 Lakh range.

      I liked the new Octavia TDi Elegance. But, long waiting period and Skoda's after sales service reviews are keeping me away from it. The VW Jetta is a nice option too and i feel its good VFM car, but feels out-dated (especially the interiors). In the SUV segment, i might consider the Xuv500. But, Captiva and fortuner are out of my short-list due to the price. I feel those two SUVs are NOT value for money options unless you drive a lot every year.

      So based on my usage pattern, do you guys think its better to go for a new car in that price range (15 to 25Lakh) or 2012/13 BMW X1 is a good option in 18 to 20 lakh range?
      A German car without warranty is not recommended [my personal suggestion].
      Go for Octavia, you will never regret it and Octavia brand has lot of resale value.
      Being Skoda customer, I can clearly say from past 1 year, they improved a lot and you won't believe it. Many people has still the old perception, but they changed a lot and now more customer centric.

      Jetta, if you are really that scared of Skoda. It's the best VFM compared to your other choices and that too you will get brand new one.

    3. #3

      Enjoying the roar of a V8!!!
       
      Awesome
       
      gnishan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2012
      Location
      Atlanta, USA - Chennai, India
      Posts
      131
      Quote Originally Posted by Nitin Reddy View Post
      A German car without warranty is not recommended [my personal suggestion].
      Go for Octavia, you will never regret it and Octavia brand has lot of resale value.
      Being Skoda customer, I can clearly say from past 1 year, they improved a lot and you won't believe it. Many people has still the old perception, but they changed a lot and now more customer centric.

      Jetta, if you are really that scared of Skoda. It's the best VFM compared to your other choices and that too you will get brand new one.
      I was thinking about the Jetta highline. But more interested on the X1 that i mentioned above since i know the seller car's history and very attractive price. New BMW X1 fully loaded model costs INR 42 lakhs on-road. But this particular one comes for less than 50% of the new one's cost and its only 2 years old.

      My initial plan was to go for a new 320d or X1 or A4. But, later dropped the plan since i lost interest in spending 40 plus Lakhs on-road for these cars (except A4 celebration edition which i did not consider). And when i sell it after 4 years i wont be able to sell it for more than 35-40% of the new car's cost.

      I was also wondering what kind of maintainence expenses can be expected on a BMW X1 between 40k kms and 50k kms. If any of you guys know about that, your inputs are welcome.
      Last edited by gnishan; 11th Nov 2014 at 05:13.

    4. #4

      Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer
       
      Awesome
       
      Indian's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2013
      Location
      Norway
      Posts
      3,141
      Quote Originally Posted by Nitin Reddy View Post
      A German car without warranty is not recommended
      Especially one with air suspension. These can cost as much to fix as the price you pay for a used car. Air suspension faults are very common and even though the system is very simple, it costs a small fortune to get fixed.

      Name:  Luftfj_ring.gif
Views: 264
Size:  51.0 KB

    5. #5
      Life is too short to enjoy
       
      Hungry
       
      AMG Style's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Posts
      740
      Quote Originally Posted by gnishan View Post
      I was also wondering what kind of maintainence expenses can be expected on a BMW X1 between 40k kms and 50k kms. If any of you guys know about that, your inputs are welcome.
      Germans are bit expensive to maintain but their quality is top notch , If you get BMW secure/BSI for 2-3 years , You can expect peace of mind but at 60K and 80K a major service of around 30,000 to 40,000 for each service as it includes change of all fluids , pads , discs etc ,Even the tiny wipers cost in thousands . They are not the most reliable.One bad air-con or turbo issue, and you're looking at a repair bill into the 6 figures .Do NOT buy a BMW without warranty

      Anything beyond 20L for a used 3er, it is better to go for 320d baseline with BSI.

    6. #6

      Down To Earth , But Still
      Above The All
       
      Awesome
       

      Join Date
      Oct 2013
      Location
      Chennai
      Posts
      47
      Blog Entries
      1
      Great input guys. Few days back i was looking on websites for used 3er cars and found 3 series diesel available as low as 15 lacs for 2013 model and wondering about its resale value. now i know why they are available at such prices. whether cars certified by dealer is worth buying ? Chennai BMW dealer KUN selling certified cars.
      BABUANBU

    7. #7
      not aware that he can set his status here!
       
      Awesome
       

      Join Date
      Dec 2014
      Posts
      3
      Good Choice Gnishan! BMW x1 is indeed a best value for your money. Now you have to decide where you will buy it. There are several companies which sell used BMW cars. But many of them tell lies and cheat customers. As per my experience, Magus cars are a reputed and trusted brand and they offer good services.

    Thread Information

    Users Browsing this Thread

    There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 10
      Last Post: 14th Aug 2013, 13:39
    2. Is it worth going for the AMC?
      By NFSpoet in forum Volkswagen
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 31st Aug 2012, 15:59
    3. Replies: 8
      Last Post: 2nd Aug 2012, 10:08
    4. Replies: 0
      Last Post: 3rd Jul 2011, 21:35

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •