• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Grand Vitara (GV) - 2007 AT

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Grand Vitara (GV) - 2007 AT

After the rare distinction of owning two Corollas,one AT and the other MT, I set my next target as a GV MT/AT.

Ownership experiences on the Corolla are in the link below

https://gearheads.in/showthread.php?...blesome-Within

The "Khoj"

Findling a GV in Chennai is like searching for a grain of rice in an auto warehouse ; looks like there are no more than two dozen GVs in Chennai.

I have been following ads on all online sites since Dec2013 and came across just four examples ; one white AT,one back MT,two silver MTs and one grey AT.

The one I picked up was a Sep2007 AT ,owned by two owners , which read exact 70 k kms.

Not a wow car in any way but then when a grain of rice is found , grab it.

The Assessment

The owner had two GVs - one Pondy registered silver manual done 92k and this Chennai registered AT done 70k.

I would have picked the Pondy one hands down had it been a Chennai car ; but the thought of me having to cough up penalties by way of road tax turned me off.

+ves

• smooth engine
      • excellent bright interiors with genuine leather light beige Stanley seats
      • suspension intact

-ves

• four sections touched up
      • front windscreen had minor swirl marks
      • aftermarket chrome alloys - they look stunning but then the original look is lost

I ignored some shortcomings as the car's mechanical integrity was good . Threw in four Yokohama Geolandar AT/S 235/70 R16 for 30k and got approx 1.5k for the old Good Year Wrangler HPs. The stock 225/70 R16 is tough to get.

Oversize tyres means my odo shows approx 2% less.

Experience in 4 months since purchase

+ves
      • excellent car to be in , given its phenomenal road presence and the road view
      • easy to drive since it is an AT ; I have taken this car into some narrow lanes with no issues whatsoever.
      • Driving in bumper to bumper traffic is a boon.
      • great display on the dash and on the centre console
      • rock solid build
      • a very tall third gear ensures decent fuel efficiency
      • extremely quick pick up if you downshift to second or third ; the car can easily hit three digit speeds this way
      • fantastic brakes even with a rear drum set up - better than the Corolla's all disc set up

-ves

• very sluggish because of an underpowered engine for an all time FOUR WHEEL DRIVE . i have found the trick by downshifting to second of third when i need the extra push
      • rough engine note after 4000rpm
      • average fuel efficiency - when I got the car the average FE showed 6.7kmpl. I reset that value and it now reads 8.9kmpl - add 2% to that as I am on oversize tyres
      • poor spares support from Susee Auto - they are courteous but take their own time to procure parts, in my case an air filter. The saving grace is that the oil filter is shared with the sx4 so is readily available.Spark plugs are also available in the open market
      • the stock air filter is great in quality but the performance of the car is very poor with stock . I had to throw in a K&N filter procured through Amazon

More masala as I drive on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140927_150042.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	198977
      Last edited by venbab; 13th Jan 2015 at 10:26.

Awesome

I spent approx INR 2k for Castrol Magnatec 10W40 and approx INR 350 for the spark plugs.

Caliper pin greasing is necessary to remove an irritating rattle - did it once immediately after I got the car and it is time to do it again.

Threw in some mudflaps - had to create them from rubber sheets but they are doing the job fairly well.

Cleaning the car requires some effort but it is better to clean and wax so that the shine stays.

Itz all in the mind !

Awesome

How much did you get it for , i am planning to buy one , i am a baleno owner but she has gone old now.

Will Maintainence be an issue ?

Awesome

Maintenance is not an issue because components are rugged and reasonably priced for this class of car.

You will not find aftermarket parts for this car - all parts are genuine Suzuki parts .

Sourcing parts is a big issue as the wait can become a headache. Yes, if you get the car serviced at a dealer , parts could be sourced in 10 days max.

Fuel Efficiency is a big -ve if that is one of your priorities.

Car is difficult to find except in the NCR . Go for it if you find one in the 5 lac range.

Jai Hind

Awesome

Hi! Any of you guys managed to change the ICE in the car? Have just finalised a vitara and was dissapointed to know it does not support usb or aux.

Jai Hind

Awesome

Hi! did you change the ICE or is it still the same?

Awesome

Sorry for this rather late reply. I left the audio system as is till recently. Threw in a Kenwood 415BT with the fill panel, wiring adaptor and a universal steering control interface.Except the head unit, the rest were procured from the US.

Personally, the audio quality of the stock Clarion unit is way ahead of the 415BT. It is just more convenient for the USB, Aux and camera input.

Thread Information