Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are imported tyres under a threat thanks to the new ISI mark rule?

Support Donkey
    Turbo Lag - Giving the NA guys
    just 1 extra second of false
    hope :p

Are imported tyres under a threat thanks to the new ISI mark rule?

Was out tyre hunting today. And here is a shocking story.

The Indian Govt has made it mandatory that all tyres sold in India (local or imported) must compulsorily carry an ISI mark on them.

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/tbt/t...IND20_EN_6.pdf
    http://www.bis.org.in/cert/gazette.pdf

This would mean most of the tyre manufacturers including Yokohama, Michelin, Goodyear, Continental etc would have to stamp their tyres with the ISI mark. Not sure how many of these companies would actually get down to doing such a thing?

Currently, most of the imported performance tyres are either out of stock or distributors/dealers aren't willing to take enough chances to ship the tyres without the ISI markings. So if you are looking to buy AD-07s/PS3s/RS-2s in the *near future*, this would be the time to pick them up. Provided you can find stock.

What does this mean to those of us who rely on imported performance tyres? Only time will tell.

This seems like another move to safeguard the Indian Industry just like in the past the Govt had imposed higher customs duties for cars to be imported, so that they could protect the Indian Automobile industry.

Will the big brands agree to the rule and stamp their tyres with the ISI mark? Or will this be an end to us buying the legendary AD-08s/PS3s/Ventus RS-2s/Direzzas etc?
    2002 Tata Indica DLS.
    2004 Suzuki Zen - A G13B eater.
    2005 Suzuki Baleno - India's fastest Naturally Aspirated Baleno timed on a drag strip officially!
    2008 Suzuki Swift VDi - The Rattle King.
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze - A monster in the making.
    2014 MOC SQ Pro Champions.
    Harmonixx Audio Inc - Dealers for Rainbow/Mosconi/Dynaudio/Micro Precision/Digital Designs/Audible Physics/Helix/AIV/Morel/Flux/PHD/Gladen/Focal/Rockford Fosgate/Dampmat and more.

Hondameister
    So can I

Very stupid.

I have never seen a tyre with BSS in the UK!

With FTAs coming up fast, this is part of the non Tariff barriers game, or maybe a trick to block Chinese tyres for all you know.
    Last edited by sgiitk; 3rd Aug 2010 at 06:02.
    Drive carefully, the life you save may be your own.
    Honda Civic V AT (2010), Honda Brio V AT 2012
    Hyundai Accent GLS, 2003; Hyundai Santro AT (2005)

not aware that he can set his status here!

actually i see its a good rule since over here there is a major problem with the korean,chinese tires, since these tires aren't suited to this road condition and are absolute rubbish... by that rule they can make sure on the tires on the road and also for saftey
    necessity is the mother of all invention.

4. Likes akshay380 liked this post
    Forum Leader
    Diesel till I die!

When has the indian govt ever cared about the lives of indian motorists?
    This is not a regulation that has been made for safety.
    It is a cheap and stupid protectionist tactic.
    I'd be very worried if I saw the ISI mark on a product.
    The spin off of this rule might be that the chinese and korean brands will find it difficult, temporarily.
    But, guaranteed, they will be the 1st to get an ISI mark stamped on their product. They are capable of making duplicates of whole cars, what kind of difficulty is a 3 letter raised lettering on rubber going to pose to them?
    This is just protectionism at best or extortionism at worst.
    Another question, how many of us trust the indian standards institute?
    How many of us trust the capacity of any govt in our country to enforce a standard?
    Lets not even get started on the integrity of the majority of govt officials enforcing these laws regulations and standards.
    Please subscribe to the #Cochin hashtag for notifications on the Cochin meets.

will a MRF Zigma-CC or ZVTS grip better with an ISI mark ? i mean better than the "good" tires from reputed manufacturers !? I wonder what this stupid decision makers smoke sometimes, if they are doing this to stop the chinese imports - anyway the chinese can put just about any mark on the tires!
    Last edited by techn0l0gist; 3rd Aug 2010 at 11:52.

Support Donkey
    Turbo Lag - Giving the NA guys
    just 1 extra second of false
    hope :p

Quote Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
    or maybe a trick to block Chinese tyres for all you know.
    Yes, the whole saga was to ban these Chinese tyres. The fallout is, the other biggies get sucked into this too.

Reports are some manufacturers have agreed to print the ISI mark on tyres that move in large quantities. Like XM1+/C-drives etc. But why would the performance tyres that sell in very small numbers come with an ISI mark? That is the most worrying factor for me.

According to this rule, even importing a set of tyres for your personal use becomes *illegal*. So, if Yokohama refuses to print ISI mark on AD-08s I can't even import them even if I am willing to pay the Govt the necessary taxes.

The tyre dealers have about 3 months time to put this rule into effect.
    2002 Tata Indica DLS.
    2004 Suzuki Zen - A G13B eater.
    2005 Suzuki Baleno - India's fastest Naturally Aspirated Baleno timed on a drag strip officially!
    2008 Suzuki Swift VDi - The Rattle King.
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze - A monster in the making.
    2014 MOC SQ Pro Champions.
    Harmonixx Audio Inc - Dealers for Rainbow/Mosconi/Dynaudio/Micro Precision/Digital Designs/Audible Physics/Helix/AIV/Morel/Flux/PHD/Gladen/Focal/Rockford Fosgate/Dampmat and more.

GearHead
    Forza Ferrari!!!

If this is to block the Chinese, it wont work. They will stamp the ISI mark at their plant itself and send it here. It will look more authentic than the actual authentic ones.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    -Calvin

Dai!!!

9. LOL akshay380, Squid laughed out loud

IMHO this step is to help the Chinese tyres to be the official tyres of all the Indian cars
    2006 May, Safari Dicor 3.0 (88,500 Kms)
    1985 Mar, Suzuki SS80 DX (47,500 Kms)

2001, MM550 XD
    1950, Land Rover Series 1

Forum Leader
    Diesel till I die!

I heard that Hankook will be stamping ISI marks on their tires as soon as certification is done with.
    Please subscribe to the #Cochin hashtag for notifications on the Cochin meets.

Dont worry. From my interactions with Yokohama/Michelin, they will be stamping the ISI mark on their high end tyres as well.

There is a drought of high end tyres right now which will continue into the beginning of next year. but after that, everything will be available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information