• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning to buy a pre-owned car. City or Civic, that is the question.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Planning to buy a pre-owned car. City or Civic, that is the question.

I'm planning to buy a pre-owned car. Always been a fan of Honda City. I'm selling my old car for 2.5 Lakhs and can spend another 2-3 Lakhs. I could get either a Honda City (2010/11) models for 5.5 L or a Honda Civic for around 3.5-4.5 L. I initially started searching for Honda City's in Chennai, and that's when I got the idea of checking out Civics too.

My usage is ~400 Kms per month and usually go for long trips twice a year. I'm concerned about Honda Civic's mileage and spare parts availability, but I'm bowled over by its looks and comfort.

My questions are,

1) How expensive is to maintain a Civic over a period of 5 years? Let's say I'm getting a Civic with Odo ~ 60000 kms and drive another 50K kms. How costly would be the spares and general maintenance.

2) Is Civic a wise choice when I can get almost 60-70% of its performance in a Honda City?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/advice.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a vitamin dose

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
      selling my old car for 2.5 Lakhs
      Which car is it?

Honda Civic for around 3.5-4.5 L.
      Do you have more details for this car?

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      Which car is it?

Actually it's my Dad's car - Swift Dzire Diesel. I'll give my Estilo to my Dad and get a Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      Do you have more details for this car?
      I had zeroed in on a 2010 Civic, but that had some complications. Shortlisted another few from online ads - 2007 model, single owner, 38K ran.

~~Wandering Soul~~
      by the power of Grayskull

Secret

Is Civic a wise choice when I can get almost 60-70% of its performance in a Honda City?

I would stick with a 2010/11 honda city than a 2007 Civic. Parts are cheaper besides hassle free maintenance, no surprise big ticket expenses.

A relatively good condition honda city can be had for 4.50L to 5.50L

And like always, Do send the car to a Honda ASC and get them to do a full inspection will save you from a lot of heartache.
      私のドライブはホンダです

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
      I would stick with a 2010/11 honda city than a 2007 Civic. Parts are cheaper besides hassle free maintenance, no surprise big ticket expenses.
      This is what I have been wondering about. Thanks for reaffirming.

A relatively good condition honda city can be had for 4.50L to 5.50L

And like always, Do send the car to a Honda ASC and get them to do a full inspection will save you from a lot of heartache.
      When I checked a Honda City earlier, I took my dad's driver for a test drive and he advised me to not to go ahead with that car (Airbags opened and suspension issues). But I can't get him to check every other car I'm going to look at. Will Honda oblige if I take the car to their ASS for an inspection? How much will they charge?

~~Wandering Soul~~
      by the power of Grayskull

Secret

Will Honda oblige if I take the car to their ASS for an inspection? How much will they charge?

I would suggest you test drive as many as possible, take a knowledgeable person along, be it your driver or a friend. Once you shortlist on a car take it to Honda and ask them to do a full checkup as you intend to buy the vehicle.

The charge anything from 700 to 1800Rs.

They check suspension, Mounts, Brake pads, disk rotors, any abnormal wear and tear Oil Leaks etc., old service records ( since its centralized repository they will know if the car was repaired or had a problem before) and a Honda scan for any errors in the cars system.They can also give you an estimate of how much it will take to fix the vehicle. So you can use that to your bargaining advantage.

You could also check with the insurance company of any past claims.
      私のドライブはホンダです

Everyone has regrets, make
      sure yours are more fun than
      others :D

Awesome

I would suggest go for the Honda City!
      The ground clearance of Honda city is already low and in the Civic it's even lower! I had one relative in Chennai, and he told me that a car should have a good GC to be driven in Chennai. I also want a Civic badly but can't buy it because of GC issues!

Also, the maintenance of Civic is higher than the City but you can also get a better deal on the Civic than the City. If you are going for the Civic, then go for post 2009 models, since they updated the suspension in 2009 plus some cosmetics.

Brain says the City, heart shouts the Civic!

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a vitamin dose

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Calvin, you're no different than me in some of the ways. I have my heart sold on CIVIC - its like my first love in cars. If given an option between Civic and City - CIVIC for me any given day!

All I worry about is the condition of Civic coming to me. Its rare to find a well maintained - decent fuel performer Civic. Civic never had good fuel performance, but I wouldn't like a petrol guzzler coming my way for sure.

If you are able to strike a good deal on a great Civic, then go for it for sure. I'd love to drive in my old dream car than a brand new i10 or Brio any given day.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
      I would suggest you test drive as many as possible, take a knowledgeable person along, be it your driver or a friend. Once you shortlist on a car take it to Honda and ask them to do a full checkup as you intend to buy the vehicle.

The charge anything from 700 to 1800Rs.

They check suspension, Mounts, Brake pads, disk rotors, any abnormal wear and tear Oil Leaks etc., old service records ( since its centralized repository they will know if the car was repaired or had a problem before) and a Honda scan for any errors in the cars system.They can also give you an estimate of how much it will take to fix the vehicle. So you can use that to your bargaining advantage.

You could also check with the insurance company of any past claims.
      Thanks for the pointers. Forget about shortlisting, just coming across a well maintained used car is so rare in Chennai.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by parth.jain View Post
      I would suggest go for the Honda City!
      The ground clearance of Honda city is already low and in the Civic it's even lower! I had one relative in Chennai, and he told me that a car should have a good GC to be driven in Chennai. I also want a Civic badly but can't buy it because of GC issues!

Also, the maintenance of Civic is higher than the City but you can also get a better deal on the Civic than the City. If you are going for the Civic, then go for post 2009 models, since they updated the suspension in 2009 plus some cosmetics.
      Post 2009 Civics are not available for less than 5 lakhs here

Brain says the City, heart shouts the Civic!
      Exactly!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information