• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen, Audi accused of cheating US Diesel Emissions Tests - May face $18 Billion in fines!

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a vitamin dose

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
      A sophisticated software algorithm on certain Volkswagen vehicles detects when the car is undergoing official emissions testing, and turns full emissions controls on only during the test
      Quote Originally Posted by muztariq View Post
      The software is called Code9
      Code9? Can I get a link of this to read more please?

From outset, its a clear case of cheating. If found true, any of us who own VW car can go and sue the company. If you have a software installed to befool an emission test - you're in big danger. Specially when you know you have done it on purpose. Though we'll have to see and get more details to understand the story behind it. In the world, things are never that simple as they look from outside.
      Jack Sparrow made a great point and I'd agree this to be just one of those Apple vs Samsung fight for gaining control over market.

Global Moderator
      At wits end with Safari's
      auto-correct!

Awesome

Blog Entries
      What I don't understand is how can a software know when a test is happening? In India its just a probe in the tail pipe!
      A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Support Donkey
      Turbo Lag - Giving the NA guys
      just 1 extra second of false
      hope :p

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
      What I don't understand is how can a software know when a test is happening?
      Service intervals based on odometer reading? Or date stamp from the instrument cluster in multiples of 6/12/18 months or whatever the period is. Activate the emissions map a little before the stipulated time period maybe to play it safe.

Also, at each service VW cars have a service counter that needs to be reset IIRC.
      2002 Tata Indica DLS.
      2004 Suzuki Zen - A G13B eater.
      2005 Suzuki Baleno - India's fastest Naturally Aspirated Baleno timed on a drag strip officially!
      2008 Suzuki Swift VDi - The Rattle King.
      2011 Chevrolet Cruze - A monster in the making.
      2016 Ford Ecosport 1.5 TDCi Titanium - The SQ Machine in the making.
      2014 MOC SQ Pro Champions.
      Harmonixx Audio Inc - Importers for Audiofrog & Zapco.
      Dealers for Rainbow/Mosconi/Dynaudio/Micro Precision/Audible Physics/AIV/Morel/Flux/PHD/Gladen/Focal/Rockford Fosgate/Dampmat/E4 Damping and more.

Resident Visitor
      You ask any ricer, any serious
      ricer. It doesn't matter if
      the other guy is racing or
      not. A win is a win

Awesome

A sophisticated software algorithm on certain Volkswagen vehicles detects when the car is undergoing official emissions testing, and turns full emissions controls on only during the test.
      I suspect even my Honda has such a system. No catalytic convertor, full free flow exhaust and PUC certificate shows emmissions well under control. CO levels are like 1% of max allowed value.

The very validity and requirement of PUC Certificate every 6 months itself is a huge SCAM
      Or wait.. This is a better explanation.
      Jesus had a Honda.. John 12:49: 'For I did not speak of my own Accord'

2015 Maruti Alto K10 | 2012 Honda City | 2008 Skoda Octavia

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

I don't understand is how can a software know when a test is happening? In India its just a probe in the tail pipe!
      And what amazes me that VW has accepted that they have committed cheating.

As per allegations, Jetta had exceeded U.S. nitrogen oxide emissions standard by 15 to 35 times when driven on open roads. 10% or 20% is understood, this is 1500-3500% more, how come this couldn't be caught earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      its a clear case of cheating. If found true, any of us who own VW car can go and sue the company.
      On what basis? The engine in the case is one 2.0 litter diesel engine being sold on the name of 'Clean Diesel' in the US. How many of Indian VW owners have that engine? And more importantly VAG has only around 2% of market share combinedly from all of the cars it sells as a group in India, why would authorities will bother about such small number when they are not concerned about millions of polluting tempos, taxis, autos, pickups, trucks, buses and even govt trains etc. running without any hurdle in so called Bharat stage IV era.
      Last edited by Jack Sparrow; 22nd Sep 2015 at 15:12.

Hun 2die4

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      Code9? Can I get a link of this to read more please?
      That was a joke, as inverse of Code 6 is Code 9. 6-9 9-6

Reboot
      Curiosity killed the cat;
      Insecurity killed the man

Hungry

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
      The engine in the case is one 2.0 litter diesel engine being sold on the name of 'Clean Diesel' .
      Summed up the entire incident in one sentence. Brevity is the soul of the wit !
      RIP Penguin May 2013 - Dec 2015

Awesome

The very validity and requirement of PUC Certificate every 6 months itself is a huge SCAM. In the last 8+ years, I have not seen a single PUC machine that works reliably (forget being accurate!).
      When I got first PUC for Vista (diesel), the process was different from petrol cars. It was an elaborate process, and even involved putting a probe through engine oil inlet. No probe was ever inserted in the exhaust (like petrol cars). But all subsequent PUC tests have not used any probe at all. They just connect a meter to car battery terminals, use accelerator to reach designated RPMs (I wonder how do they get RPM readings using their meter, with connect just to the battery terminals??). And we get emission readings, without use of a probe. Clearly it is a scam.

Looking for ....

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
      And what amazes me that VW has accepted that they have committed cheating.
      What happens next? VW is going to recall the cars and pay fine to US court?
      Thanks & Regards
      Balavignesh Ramasamy

PIONEER DEX-P99RS | TCHERNOV SPECIAL MAKE II IC | HYBRID AUDIO TECHNOLOGIES LEGATIA L1 PRO R2 HIGHS | LEGATIA L3 PRO MIDS | LEGATIA L6 V2 LOWS | CLARUS 10" SUB WOOFER | BRIAN B4 AMPLIFIERS | STINGER HPF 4GA OFC POWER WIRE | KnuKONCEPTZ 4GA SCREW RING TERMINALS | ROCKFORD FOSGATE FUSED DB | STINGER AGU FUSES

Hastalavista
      Potential to GND

Secret

What I don't understand is how can a software know when a test is happening? In India its just a probe in the tail pipe!
      With my limited knowledge, I can say that emission tests (or any such standard tests) have a defined cycle that involves various levels of loading for defined durations - the software merely has to match the load and the duration, to know whether it is an EPA emission test cycle, or a regular road use.

In India, they stick something in the rear and give you a piece of paper to clean up - no dependency on what's shoved in or how is the system maintained

Quote Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
      They just connect a meter to car battery terminals, use accelerator to reach designated RPMs (I wonder how do they get RPM readings using their meter, with connect just to the battery terminals??). And we get emission readings, without use of a probe.
      The equipment actually measures the temperature and uses a look-up table to map it to the values of NOx, CO, etc recorded/calibrated with. I usually get my PUC check done at an IOC COCO's emission test centre, and the guy manning the equipment claimed that a badly maintained engine (read, running on bad fuel or not serviced at regular intervals or running clogged filters, etc) will give entirely different values.
      Last edited by silversteed; 22nd Sep 2015 at 15:46.
      What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information