• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying A Used Sedan b/w 1-1.5L. (For CNG)

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Buying A Used Sedan b/w 1-1.5L. (For CNG)

Hey guys. I am on the lookout for a car for my daily running in the city. My usage will be approx 100 kms per day and hence was looking for a sedan that can be fitted with CNG. Few options that i have considered-

*Toyota Corolla
      *Ford Fiesta 1.6
      *Honda Civic(A little out of budget)
      *Suzuki SX4
      *Honda City(OHC,NHC)

I am kind of inclined towards the Corolla because of the reliabilty of Toyota engines and the build of the car. However, i would really like insights on how the maintenance cost of the cars would fare on my pocket and would also like to know if there are any good FNG's in Delhi like Bay6 where i can get the car's maintenance done.

Looking forward to your responses.

Regards,
      Bhushan

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

Why not a Diesel ? Rather than CNG, Diesel will be trouble free & will have much less hassles. 100kms * 22 days (assuming working days) would easily justify your diesel purchase.

Fiesta 1.6 would be very difficult to get in the used market I believe. I would suggest Honday City (OHC or ANHC) don't go for the NHC. Its a dud. SX4 is a hogger & would drink fuel like anything. You say Honda Civic is out of budget but do you think you'll get a Corolla ? IMO Corolla in the used market will be much costlier than a Civic.

BTW what's your budget ?

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Lvramanan View Post
      Why not a Diesel ? Rather than CNG, Diesel will be trouble free & will have much less hassles. 100kms * 22 days (assuming working days) would easily justify your diesel purchase.

Fiesta 1.6 would be very difficult to get in the used market I believe. I would suggest Honday City (OHC or ANHC) don't go for the NHC. Its a dud. SX4 is a hogger & would drink fuel like anything. You say Honda Civic is out of budget but do you think you'll get a Corolla ? IMO Corolla in the used market will be much costlier than a Civic.

BTW what's your budget ?
      I think he is from Delhi, and that is why his budget is 1 to 1.5L. Delhi is a very cheap market for second hand cars, almost half the Bangalore price for same age/usage car. But the cars are battered too much in unruly Delhi traffic, and most accidents are high speed impacts due to higher speed of traffic on better roads.

Running a car on CNG is way cheaper than diesel, I think less than a rupee per KM.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Lvramanan View Post

BTW what's your budget ?
      Budget is 1-1.5l. Diesel cars have a higher resale in delhi compared to petrols. I can easily score a corolla 2004-2005 in my budget with decent amount of kms on it. Just wanted to know about the maintenance of the listed cars and also if you can suggest any other naturally aspirated petrol engine, please do and it has to be a sedan.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
      I think he is from Delhi, and that is why his budget is 1 to 1.5L. Delhi is a very cheap market for second hand cars, almost half the Bangalore price for same age/usage car. But the cars are battered too much in unruly Delhi traffic, and most accidents are high speed impacts due to higher speed of traffic on better roads.

Running a car on CNG is way cheaper than diesel, I think less than a rupee per KM.
      It all depends on the buyer. If you check the car properly, you can get a nice deal on a car that has been religiously maintained. Cng running costs are around 2rs per km but cng being a lot cleaner fuel helps the engine to run longer and also betters the performance of the car.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Bhushan_bhati View Post
      If you check the car properly, you can get a nice deal on a car that has been religiously maintained.
      Agree about the major accident part. But what about body panel repairs in minor dings. My Alto (in Bangalore) developed severe rattles from doors after it was side swiped on one side, and I loathe to drive in it.

Cng running costs are around 2rs per km
      Thanks for this information. I faintly remember my BIL quoting something like 70 paise per km for his CNG Santro in Delhi. But that was probably 4-5 years back.

helps the engine to run longer and also betters the performance of the car.
      Is it true? I always thought that CNG kills the engine and makes the car beg for some power from engine, just like LPG.

Anyway, lets get back to main topic.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
      Agree about the major accident part. But what about body panel repairs in minor dings. My Alto (in Bangalore) developed severe rattles from doors after it was side swiped on one side, and I loathe to drive in it.

Thanks for this information. I faintly remember my BIL quoting something like 70 paise per km for his CNG Santro in Delhi. But that was probably 4-5 years back.

Is it true? I always thought that CNG kills the engine and makes the car beg for some power from engine, just like LPG.

Anyway, lets get back to main topic.
      Rattles are the main reason I am not too keen on buying a maruti.

Cng makes the car beg for power in hatchbacks which already have a messed up power to weight ratio and with the added weight, they struggle. Sedans on the other hand perform a whole lot better on Cng because the rpm limiter is revoked and after 2k rpm, the car just flies. Regarding on the engine front, CNG is a cleaner fuel and hence doesn't contaminate the engine oil that frequently. A Cng car requires spark plug replacement at 10k and air filter cleaning at 5k. Provided that you maintain the car well, it can go on for lakhs of kms which is the case with any car petrol or diesel. Usually CNG is associated with the deteriorating of the engine because mostly people get Cng installed in small hatchbacks. They keep on using the car regularly but do not bother to check on the maintenance front and hence the car or its engine breaks down which can happen with any car which is not taken care of properly.

Awesome

Also, I would still like to know the average yearly maintenance of the above mentioned cars with known issues to be kept in mind. And also would like to know about some good FNG's in and around Delhi.

Do or Do Not. There is no Try.

Awesome

Another factor in diesel over cng is that after the national green tribunal decision any diesel car older than 10 years is not permitted in Delhi. Also, I had run car with CNG earlier and I had faced no problem even with good mileage on CNG if the car is maintained properly. You need to use better oil, frequent air filter cleaning, injector cleaning etc. but overall the engine is still very smooth till I used the car.
      Some of my Threads:
      https://gearheads.in/showthread.php?24908-My-WOWA-Waterless-Wash-amp-Wax-Experiment
      http://gearheads.in/showthread.php?25158-Sunday-Detailing-my-Honda-Amaze
      http://gearheads.in/showthread.php?25582-The-Battle-of-Waxes

Awesome

Please add Octavia VRS to that list. Getting a very good deal on a clean piece.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information