• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying A Used Sedan b/w 1-1.5L. (For CNG)

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Bhushan_bhati View Post
      also if you can suggest any other naturally aspirated petrol engine, please do and it has to be a sedan.
      Hyundai Accent. A very trouble free, low maintenance car. Performs nicely even on the conventional cng kit. But Its not a fun to drive car. And I find the drivng seat uncomfortable for long distances - not very supportive seats. Parts easliy are available in the open market.

Mileage on highways is 250km on a tank full (approx 10/11 kg cng). In Delhi it lasts around 120 to 140 kms (never paid much attention to the city mileage).
      Petrol mileage - highways = 14/15. City = 8 to 11kmpl.

Amongst your options, Im slightly biased towards Corolla, but I havent heard much about its cng performance.
      Last edited by sinhead; 24th Sep 2015 at 10:45.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
      Hyundai Accent. A very trouble free, low maintenance car. Performs nicely even on the conventional cng kit. But Its not a fun to drive car. And I find the drivng seat uncomfortable for long distances - not very supportive seats. Parts easliy are available in the open market.

Mileage on highways is 250km on a tank full (approx 10/11 kg cng). In Delhi it lasts around 120 to 140 kms (never paid much attention to the city mileage).
      Petrol mileage - highways = 14/15. City = 8 to 11kmpl.

Amongst your options, Im slightly biased towards Corolla, but I havent heard much about its cng performance.
      I am going to check out a used VRS today. Lets see how that goes.

Global Moderator
      At wits end with Safari's
      auto-correct!

Awesome

Blog Entries
      I am afraid you have been fed some erroneous information.

A Cng car requires spark plug replacement at 10k and air filter cleaning at 5k.
      A petrol car normally needs spark plug replacements only once in 40K kms (more preventive than anything else!). CNG is extremely sensitive to air filter condition (burns hotter).. petrol is more forgiving.

Cng makes the car beg for power in hatchbacks which already have a messed up power to weight ratio and with the added weight, they struggle. Sedans on the other hand perform a whole lot better on Cng because the rpm limiter is revoked and after 2k rpm, the car just flies.
      RPM Limiter? That exists on all cars and unless you flash the ECU with a revised map you cannot remove it. (It might be okay to raise it bit - but removing it entirely is never advisable ... or done!). The kits add 50-60 kgs weight to the existing car. In addition, CNG develops between 10-15% lesser power. Its the combination of the two that effects performance across all cars.

Usually CNG is associated with the deteriorating of the engine because mostly people get Cng installed in small hatchbacks.
      Nope - What most people do not realise is CNG requires more than just a kit being swapped on. Its definitely a cleaner burning fuel. However it burns way hotter. You need to tweak compression, timing, valves and valve seats, and use a better quality and grade of engine oil. More importantly, you also need to ensure you run the car on petrol till it reaches operating temperature before switching to CNG (most people don't). There are multiple other things - but lets not get into it.

Most cars are built to a cost - therefore the cheaper ones suffer issues with the switch to CNG. The better built engines (better quality of valves, valve seats etc) fare better.

In the current day and time - CNG is no more relevant from an economic POV. CNG is losing to Diesel. CNG losing race to cheaper diesel cars - timesofindia-economictimes
      Last edited by kb100; 24th Sep 2015 at 15:14.
      A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Cars are Life

Hungry

My friend bought a 2004 Toyota Corolla for Rs.1.85 lakhs all inclusive, around a year back. I am generally against buying used cars because of the number of lemons in the market.
      However he bought it from a relative.

He installed CNG and has been using it ever since. He drives his car daily from Colaba to Hiranandani Powai and back. Apart from Sundays.

No issues with the car. In fact its a surprisingly comfortable car.

Just that he needs to fill in CNG everyday. His car runs a maximum of 80 kms on a tankful. And his daily running is close to 75 kms.

I would prefer a diesel car. I don't have the patience to wait in the line, every single day at the petrol pump.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information