• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help : Which car

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Need help : Which car

hi,

I own a 2007 SX4 VXi which I purchased in Aug 2013. My running is very less, I drive mostly on weekend and approximate 6000-8000 Km in a year. SX4 is my first car and learned the driving after buying this car. Its a trouble free ownership. However long drive makes me tired and according to me its mainly due to heavy clutch and steering wheel and not so smooth gear box. Engine is very laud too once I cross the 80. Lately I am also experiencing heating problem in the car. So time to buy new car and my budget is around 13Lakh (on road).

My expectations are as below:

Airbag and ABS is must.
      High speed stability should be good.
      Light clutch and smooth gear box.
      Light Steering wheel at low speed.
      Fun to drive and Should have a ample power (Its not like that I want to race or anything. Mostly I drive in highway and don't want to miss the power whenever need arise)
      NVH should be low.
      Good leg room at the Back and should be comfortable for 3 passenger.
      Boot space around 300-350 liter is sufficient.

I have already taken a test drive of Vento, Ciaz, Verna, Elite I20, Duster and S-cross 1.6. All are petrol except the S-cross.

Vento: I want the peace of mind so removed from my list and also there is no action at low rpms specially moving from 0 kph.

Ciaz : It was short test drive. Light Clutch, smooth gear box and light steering made the driving effortless. High speed stability was not their. Felt the bounciness and also the progress after 80kmph was very slow.

Verna : It has the characteristics of Ciaz (in terms of effortless driving) however seating position is very low and those raising window line at the back made my brother big no for verna.

Elite I20 : Same as Verna seating position is low and I don't think three moderate sized adults can comfortably fit in at the back. Petrol is not so powerful.

Duster : Ride handling is superb and comfortable back seat put big smile on my brother's face. However I felt clutch is on heavier side and its gear leaver is not so inspiring. Interiors are a let down. Don't feel like Million Rupee car.

S-Cross 1.6 : Fun to drive. It will easily touch 3 digit speed and high speed stability is good. However only let down was clutch resting point. I felt its on higher side.

Every one is advising me to go for petrol car according to them its cheaper to maintain and even if I start the vehicle even after 2 week it will start without a fuss, diesel car may or may not start. I am not a expert in this department and still learning. But I feel petrol cars under power compared to the diesel which push me to buy diesel car. Thing I loved the most in SX4 is whenever I put my foot down there is enough power, however at the cost of NVH.

Planning to visit Honda show room to test drive Honda city and jazz.

Need your advise.

Global Moderator
      At wits end with Safari's
      auto-correct!

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by rhythm View Post
      Every one is advising me to go for petrol car according to them its cheaper to maintain and even if I start the vehicle even after 2 week it will start without a fuss, diesel car may or may not start.
      Absolute ********! Immediately take all those people off your advisor list! Shows how little they know! Its like asking a butcher about brain surgery!

Drive the diesel version of these vehicles first .. and come back with your impressions.
      A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Life is too short to enjoy

Secret

Ford Ecosport or Honda City have best pertrol engines under 13 lakhs according to me .Buy it and you wont regret it . Dont buy a car with a diesel variant more popular than petrol variant like duster

Awesome

Airbag and ABS is must.
      Fun to drive and Should have a ample power (Its not like that I want to race or anything. Mostly I drive in highway and don't want to miss the power whenever need arise)
      NVH should be low.
      I cant find any car matching these expectations, hyundai/honda have soft clutch, light steering but you will lose the stability and fun steering features.

VW,fiat,chevrolet can give stability(not all chevrolets), fun to drive feeling but have hard steering and heavy clutch.Never driven a fiat though.

I think going for a vw automatic will be a good choice, but you cannot get the light steering though.You can also check skoda automatics.
      Last edited by sparkls; 27th Sep 2015 at 17:58.

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

For your usage Petrol fits the bill perfectly. Forget about your friends statements of Diesel car not starting if not used for 2 weeks. Those were the old gen Ambassadors which probably your friends are used to. All modern diesel engines don't have that problem. For your light clutch requirement, Petrol again fits. Diesel clutches will be heavier than the Petrol counterparts.

That said, when it comes to Petrol, Try the Japanese (Honda's & Suzuki's) first. They've the best Petrol engines in my opinion. My suggestions would be Honda City, Maruti Ciaz. They check most of the requirements you've. Alternately consider Fiat Linea, Renault Scala / Nissan Sunny (Note they won't put a smile on your when you press the A-Pedal unlike the Japanese counter parts, but they're frugal & comfortable & have acres of space) and they're available in Diesel avatar only.

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Maruti Swift 1.3L VXi [SOLD]
      Maruti 800 Std [SOLD]
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio
      HH Splendour NXG [SOLD]
      Yamaha RX100 [SOLD]

Interstellar Docking

Awesome

Talking

My expectations are as below:

Airbag and ABS is must.
      NVH should be low.
      Looks like your yearly car usage is similar to mine which again today would not matter if it is a diesel or petrol unless you are bent on saving costs. I would recommend the Linea(take a TD, if possible two because the initial lack of punch masks its glory; Wait for the torque to kick in!) , Ecosport ; Very well built car but less space for 3rd passenger on rear bench and lastly the Vento for its solid high speed stability

Awesome

Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
      Absolute ********! Immediately take all those people off your advisor list! Shows how little they know! Its like asking a butcher about brain surgery!
      Quote Originally Posted by Lvramanan View Post
      Forget about your friends statements of Diesel car not starting if not used for 2 weeks. Those were the old gen Ambassadors which probably your friends are used to. All modern diesel engines don't have that problem.
      Thanks for clearing the doubts. I was having tough time with those sales guys. They were very confident about the diesel engine and most of them asked me go for petrol car.

Quote Originally Posted by AMG Style View Post
      Ford Ecosport or Honda City have best pertrol engines under 13 lakhs according to me .Buy it and you wont regret it . Dont buy a car with a diesel variant more popular than petrol variant like duster
      Quote Originally Posted by Lvramanan View Post
      when it comes to Petrol, Try the Japanese (Honda's & Suzuki's) first. They've the best Petrol engines in my opinion. My suggestions would be Honda City, Maruti Ciaz. They check most of the requirements you've
      Quote Originally Posted by abhinov View Post
      I would recommend the Linea(take a TD, if possible two because the initial lack of punch masks its glory; Wait for the torque to kick in!) , Ecosport ; Very well built car but less space for 3rd passenger on rear bench and lastly the Vento for its solid high speed stability
      Fiat Linea was top of my list and by this time I would have bought it but I am not very much confident about Fiat after sales service and availability of spare parts like Maruti or Hyundai.

As mentioned in my earlier post, I took the test drive (TD) of Honda City. Like the Ciaz, driving was effortless. However dash is on higher side. I thinks I need to take long TD of both the cars back to back to notice major difference like Body role and bounciness on uneven surface. But looking at the on road price I feel Ciaz is VFM.

As the Hyundai showroom was very near I took the TD of Hyundai Creta Diesel. I simply loved the cars NVH levels its so silent like Verna. I liked the SUV type look and feel and higher siting position. Bonnet was clearly visible Turbo lag was not as bad as Vento. Gear box was smooth, steering and clutch was light. However clutch has long travel range, but I am fine with that. Thinking of taking one more test drive just to check the high speed stability. But I enjoyed driving in Creta and almost zeroed on Creta.

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

I have already taken a test drive of Vento, Ciaz, Verna, Elite I20, Duster and S-cross 1.6. All are petrol except the S-cross.
      I took the TD of Hyundai Creta Diesel. I simply loved the cars NVH levels its so silent like Verna. I liked the SUV type look and feel and higher siting position. Bonnet was clearly visible Turbo lag was not as bad as Vento.
      Earlier you said all the cars you test drove were petrol except the S-Cross then how you know about turbo lag in Vento?

Global Moderator
      At wits end with Safari's
      auto-correct!

Awesome

Blog Entries
      In terms of road manners, driving pleasure and build quality, nothing can come come close to the Italians and the Germans. Fiat and the VW stable are leagues ahead of the competition.

SUV's are another ball game entirely.
      A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Hun 2die4

Awesome

Blog Entries
      With that money, I would have taken Ciaz diesel. It checks most of the boxes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information