• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: “Thunderbolt” XUV 5OO Detailed Review (HID, Audio, LED, Mods++)

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

ODO 74.5K Kms.
      All is well.

1. Did some emergency braking and swerving. One Idiotic Politician In tuv 300 (We know TUV has **** poor Pick up and performance) decided to do some idiot style overtaking on 2 way road. I was following a Pick-up. He braked. I braked. The TUV passed by (Oncoming) in a blur. He was also using Yellow lights (Siren/beacon) and dark films which are banned by Govt. Textbook Idiot.

XUV has superb braking. Period.

Thinking to use some old phones as dash cams for long trips.

2. Did some really bad road Dusty/Gravel Climbs where other cars were burning their clutch plates and spinning their tyres like crazy (i20, Ertiga, Swift). XUV did just fine in 1st gear. No drama at all.

3. Some pics from recent trip.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20171110_083423_PN.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	228886Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20171110_083607_HDR.jpg 
Size:	242.7 KB 
ID:	228887Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20171110_100142_HDR.jpg 
Size:	591.3 KB 
ID:	228888Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20171110_100146_HDR.jpg 
Size:	482.8 KB 
ID:	228889Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20171110_130049_HDR.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	625.0 KB 
ID:	228890Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20171110_130102_HDR.jpg 
Size:	599.8 KB 
ID:	228891Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20171110_140801_HDR.jpg 
Size:	495.1 KB 
ID:	228892

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a vitamin dose

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by bhvm View Post
      XUV has superb braking. Period.
      +1, I have never ever felt uncomfortable with the breaks.

Thinking to use some old phones as dash cams for long trips
      Yeah, the maps built in can use a substitute at times. I will go for android auto after upgrade.

Hungry

Thinking to use some old phones as dash cams for long trips.
      Before I bought Blaupunkt dash-cam, I h've used spare phones as dash-cam. The biggest advantage is that we save upfront in dash cam cost. However the disadvantages of using spare phones as dash cams can not be ignored.

I had a spare Samsung Galaxy S2 which I had used as offline navigation (HERE Maps) and there was Micromax Canvas A116 HD which was used as dash-cam.

The problem with the phone was Android always use to show over heat warning after prolonged usage. So after googling I figured out that it is unsafe to ignore over heat warning.

After some time I switched to spare iPhone 5. The iPhone worked well for me for 4 months and never shown any warning despite continuous usage of 10 hours in a day. However eventually it developed a problem in display and after few hours of usage it used to dead the display with flickering lines.

I realized dedicated dash cams are best bet.

Fast forward in Nov 2015, I bought a Blaupunkt BP 2.0 dashcam. Since them I am living trouble free life. There are two major restrictions with this cam.
      1. No Wide angle and coverage was neither enough for Verito nor XUV.
      2. Operations (not day to day) are not very user friendly.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by s13 View Post
      Before I bought Blaupunkt dash-cam, I h've used spare phones as dash-cam. The biggest advantage is that we save upfront in dash cam cost. However the disadvantages of using spare phones as dash cams can not be ignored.

I had a spare Samsung Galaxy S2 which I had used as offline navigation (HERE Maps) and there was Micromax Canvas A116 HD which was used as dash-cam.

The problem with the phone was Android always use to show over heat warning after prolonged usage. So after googling I figured out that it is unsafe to ignore over heat warning.

After some time I switched to spare iPhone 5. The iPhone worked well for me for 4 months and never shown any warning despite continuous usage of 10 hours in a day. However eventually it developed a problem in display and after few hours of usage it used to dead the display with flickering lines.

I realized dedicated dash cams are best bet.

Fast forward in Nov 2015, I bought a Blaupunkt BP 2.0 dashcam. Since them I am living trouble free life. There are two major restrictions with this cam.
      1. No Wide angle and coverage was neither enough for Verito nor XUV.
      2. Operations (not day to day) are not very user friendly.

Thanks for the detailed info.
      I have used My Samsung Note as Dedicated GPS (Airplane Mode) on Numerous Long trips and it does not overheat. However, I have noticed some Lava, Xolo, Micromax Phones do heat and either turn off or throw a warning. It could be that these devices do not like screen turned ON for many hours hence overheat. I have downloaded an App which will record in background without turning on the screen. XUV has GPS, so Phone will not be loaded with GPS duty.

As XUV is mostly parked for maybe 15~20 days often, my use is very less and does not justify an expense in Dash cam. I will try it in my next trip and report back. For resolution I think 480P would be enough as 720P puts huge strain on memory card and CPU/GPU. I can also use Clip on Fish eye or wide angle lens for mobile so thats not an issue.

BTW how much did Blaupunkt cost?

For my i10 Wihich does not have touchscreen info, I was thinking to add a 9 inch Tablet permanently mounted to serve as Dash cam, GPS and overall media center. 64GB cards are cheap these days.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a vitamin dose

Awesome

Blog Entries
      downloaded an App which will record in background
      Which app is it?

Awesome

autoboy dash cam.

Hungry

BTW how much did Blaupunkt cost?
      There was some offer going on and I bought it for INR 2900/-. As of now I believe it's INR 4000.

For my i10 Wihich does not have touchscreen info, I was thinking to add a 9 inch Tablet permanently mounted to serve as Dash cam, GPS and overall media center. 64GB cards are cheap these days.
      9 inch tablet as dashcam!!! Why can't you put a similar setup like XUV i.e. spare mobile as dashcam?

A dashcam should be not prominent. mobiles with black back or dashcams hides themselves very well due to their small size. The 9" tablet, with it's sheer size will be so much visible.
      Mobiles and dash cam have some sensors to detect collision, activity detection etc. Most of the tablets are not equipped with those bells and whistles.

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      Which app is it?
      on iPhone I had used
      Car Camera DVR by AppAspect Technologies

Awesome

1. Wow 3 or 4k is not that expensive. I thought these babes were prices 10k or above. I guess the good ones with touchscreens and high resolution are 10k plus. Mobiles have all this facilities already.

2. The 9 inch tablet is the plan for i10 as there is no modern ICE. XUV already has 6 inch. I think putting 9 inch Tab in XUV will already clutter and fill the dasbhoard too much.
      With some searching you should be able to find tablets with Sensors like gyroscope, Altimeter/Barometer, Gravity, Acceleration (used for crash) and so. Android tablets also come with GPS & COMPASS inbuilt which will record location and direction of crash (If app supports it, pro apps do).

In my view android Phone/tab are superior to dash cam in just so many ways as long is it does not overheat or hang. So just use older but high end phone (like note, S4, S5) and pay for a good PRO App.

3. I have a spare lava X1.
      A very petite and black phone not much larger than touchscreen dash cams. Records in HD and has GPS too.
      Lava Iris X1 | Android Smartphone | Dual Sim Smartphones | 3G Smartphones | Buy Smartphones - Lava Mobiles

Now what remains is a good trip!
      Last edited by bhvm; 20th Nov 2017 at 15:13.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information