• Secret
  • Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: ICE-Land v5.0 - The Slow The Fat and The SQ - Ertiga ZDi

Living the dream

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by piyush7243 View Post
      Why would that be needed? until or unless someone is using Amp crossovers

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
      Hi Piyush, I believe you were aware of how I wanted to run my setup initially, with the AF GS 3 way without a DSP. I think if someone had a device like the CC-1 , I would've given it a try. I was almost planning to buy the combo dd & cc , looking at the costs it looked sensible to invest in the DSP rather.

If someone had them I think it's worth trying, it's the same here I used to wonder what these line drivers could do to your setup & Karan has had a first hand experience on them and was kind enough to share his views with back to back comparisons, that's really great. Thanks Karan
      Quote Originally Posted by piyush7243 View Post
      Are you trying to set crossovers from amplifier?

Duster 110 -
      Source - Pioneer 80 PRS
      DSP - Helix DSP Pro
      Amplification
      - Mosconi AS200.4 (Mid Bass & Sub), AS100.4 (Tweeter & Mid Range)
      Speakers - AudioFrog GB60, GB25, GB10, Sub - GS12D4

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by kanna.sridharan View Post
      Hi Piyush, I believe you were aware of how I wanted to run my setup initially, with the AF GS 3 way without a DSP. I think if someone had a device like the CC-1 , I would've given it a try. I was almost planning to buy the combo dd & cc , looking at the costs it looked sensible to invest in the DSP rather.

If someone had them I think it's worth trying, it's the same here I used to wonder what these line drivers could do to your setup & Karan has had a first hand experience on them and was kind enough to share his views with back to back comparisons, that's really great. Thanks Karan

Yep I knew you were going to go with AF 3way but didn't know that you wanted to use CC1 n DD1. The DD1 still makes sense but IMO CC1 Doesnt make sense until or unless you are an installer who does a lot of crossover setting from amps. IMO a mic is a better investment wherein you can see the acoustic crossover rather than electrical crossover using RTA. Also you made a good decision by buying a DSP rather than cc1 n dd1 as going active using amps is the least favored way as it only gives up limited crossovers n no real tuning capability

Clarion NX-706| Biketronics BT4180 | Sinfoni Allegro | Soundigital 1200.1 | Audible Physics Brahma6W | Audible Physics NZ3AlBe | Morel Ultimo | Klotz 12ga LY225t| Mogami RCA| Pure Silver RCA

ICE Apprentice
      Walter White of ICE

Awesome

Had a small install session and meet at AudioSympro

Unfortunately some of the work could not be done due to unavoidable circumstances. The Ported enclosure for the GB12D4 was ready and waiting for the subwoofer and the install but I kinda held off from installing it for a little while. I remembered how difficult it was for me to get the bass absolutely perfect according to my taste in the Ertiga and doing the exercise again .. well isn't on the cards just yet

I'm planning a small change/addition in the coming month or so after which or hopefully before that, I will do a proper RTA tune on the setup and at that time I will install the GB12 subwoofer. That small change/addition depends on mclaren1885 getting it redone ASAP so hopefully to see the GB12 in a ported setup he'll have that done soon

Rest of the time was used for putting up MLV on the damped doors both in front and rear. We also damped the hood with dampmat plus and MLV which made a HUGEEEEEE difference to the engine noise in the cabin. On the drive back the engine noise and vibrations seemed to be a mild hum and nothing else.

The MLV on the doors also reduced outside noise. Only thing I feel that needs to be improved are the tyres. They seem to be really noisy ones. Probably looking at a new set of rims once the current set of tyres wear out or my patience does

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsz009.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	159.7 KB 
ID:	220541

Name:	rsz010.jpg 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	220542

Name:	rsz011.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	220543

Also had the pleasure of vikas pathak and Aakash Narang auditioning the setup in it's current state. Hopefully they can add some reviews
      It's the best way to dump money and spend an inordinate amount of time...because all debts are paid when the hairs on the back of your neck stand straight up and goosebumps cover your arms, because the sound is SO good. - Scott Buwalda

Awesome

Got a chance to audition the setup today & I was really exited as it is always pleasure to listen Karan's setup.

What a pleasant surprise it was, I got to hear Audio frogs speakers first time. I really was impressed with the looks and build of the speakers, more so with the sound.

These turned out to be one of the most clean sounding speakers I had heard so far.Neither they were bright nor dull, just perfect balance.

High notes were crystal clear and drum notes were clean & having great impact. Though my self and karan are born fans of 3way but we really didn't miss much in these.

The tweeter was producing even the minute detailing with aplomb, in the song Keith don't go you can even feel that guitar was being played on loose string.

The way karan had tuned the setup is brilliant. The width and depth were amazing & vocals were in centre.

The best part of the setup is that you never feel that sound is coming out of tweeter, you just feel the instruments floating on the dash.
      Last edited by vikas pathak; 11th Jul 2016 at 00:39.

ICE Apprentice
      Walter White of ICE

Awesome

So an off day from work thanks to the rain. Decided to use the time to install the Audiofrog GB12D4 finally.

The ported box was ready to go. Only thing needed was to install the speakon on the side.

Placed the sub in the box and pre drilled the mounting holes.

Once that was done, a hole saw was uses to cut the hole in the side. The smell of burning plywood added to the manliness of the entire install

A good idea is to keep that little bit of carpet under the speakon intact. Gets a sealed fit.

The 12ga OFC speaker wire on the speakon was covered with techflex and heatshrink just to add to the cosmetics.

Wires were terminated at appropriate length and plugged into the terminals with the on board allen bolts.

Thr subwoofer was set to 2ohm impedance using the impedance selection switch.

I always try to use t-nuts and bolts for the subwoofer install but since this is a low power SQ oriented setup, I decided to stick to high quality screws of appropriate size that fit neatly in the mounting holes.

It was only a matter of cleaning up the carpet on the box and wiring up the subwoofer to the amplifier using the male speakon.

I'll post my review of the subwoofer in a few days once I hear the sub on my collection.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
      It's the best way to dump money and spend an inordinate amount of time...because all debts are paid when the hairs on the back of your neck stand straight up and goosebumps cover your arms, because the sound is SO good. - Scott Buwalda

ICE Apprentice
      Walter White of ICE

Awesome

So it's about a week of running the Audiofrog GB12 in the car and I think I've heard most of my regular music on this. Including some bass testing tracks for both SQ and SQL

By far this is the most rounded off and jack of all trades subwoofer that I have come across at least for my setup. The GB12 has perfect transparency when needed in SQ tracks but you can increase the punch for making it a bit more dynamic. The best part is it does not give up the complete up front bass behavior at loud volumes as well.

With the Ultimo SC in ported, at louder volumes there is a very slight rumbling kind of feeling to the bass which pulls back the up front bass slightly. Nothing here. It just remains perfectly on the dash.

The GB12 has that typical big boy subwoofer kind of thump to it like in the JL W7/W6, ID-Max, DD with the control and speed of Morel, IDQv3, SEAS etc. specially on the low bass. Though admittedly I do have the low bass 'gagged' a bit since I don't really prefer that very low bass content to be high.

The GB12 does take a bit more power than the Ultimo SC in ported. Not by much so the same amplifier (400w - 600w) would be easily enough in ported.

Eg. I had the Fader set to F21 to F19 with the Ultimo SC for most of my music (I am using the fader to control the subwoofer level with the rear rca pre out configured to provide signal for the subwoofer)

With the GB12 I had to move it to F14 - F17 range for most of my music. F13 is when things start getting shaky and stuff starts rattling in the car

I don't know whether the GB12 is suitable for an IB install. I'd like to place this in a better install in a better car down the line and most likely a sedan. Hopefully mclaren1885 will be able to get that information.

I still need to try the sub in a sealed enclosure to see how it does there. Specially with the low bass content but currently the GB12 in a ported enclosure is doing a brilliant job. Does not need too much power, does great SQ, really nice SQL and within sane box sizes to not have the entire boot eaten up

Support Donkey
      Turbo Lag - Giving the NA guys
      just 1 extra second of false
      hope :p

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by karanbhatia View Post
      I don't know whether the GB12 is suitable for an IB install.
      AF subs aren't compatible for IB installs. They are best suited for sealed/ported applications.

In fact Andy has put a lot of thought into the designing of the subwoofers so that even in ported boxes they don't need huge enclosures. All 12" subs just need a 1.5cuft ported box & the 10" need a 1cuft ported box. Andy recommends and prefers ported boxes for SQ over Sealed infact as long as you have a DSP or enough EQ bands to achieve a flat response. No wonder you loved the sub in a ported enclosure.

Glad you are liking the subwoofer Karan. We've had nothing but similar feedback from almost anyone who's running the GB subwoofers.
      2002 Tata Indica DLS.
      2004 Suzuki Zen - A G13B eater.
      2005 Suzuki Baleno - India's fastest Naturally Aspirated Baleno timed on a drag strip officially!
      2008 Suzuki Swift VDi - The Rattle King.
      2011 Chevrolet Cruze - A monster in the making.
      2016 Ford Ecosport 1.5 TDCi Titanium - The SQ Machine in the making.
      2014 MOC SQ Pro Champions.
      Harmonixx Audio Inc - Importers for Audiofrog & Zapco.
      Dealers for Rainbow/Mosconi/Dynaudio/Micro Precision/Audible Physics/AIV/Morel/Flux/PHD/Gladen/Focal/Rockford Fosgate/Dampmat/E4 Damping and more.

ICE Apprentice
      Walter White of ICE

Awesome

I just realized I have not updated the thread in about 4 months

Well as it stands in October I upgraded the Pioneer DEH-80PRS to a Joying Universal Android 2-Din

The main reason was to have access to a larger library on a larger screen that is capacitive and to use a USB to Optical Adapter to feed a digital signal to the DSP

Some pictures of the HU :

Name:	IMG_20161001_143423.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	4.13 MB 
ID:	223327

Name:	IMG_20161001_143649.jpg 
Size:	3.52 MB 
ID:	223328

Name:	IMG_20161001_143832.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	3.38 MB 
ID:	223330

Name:	IMG_20161001_144101.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	3.29 MB 
ID:	223334

Name:	IMG_20161001_143912.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	3.80 MB 
ID:	223332

Name:	IMG_20161001_143903.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	3.39 MB 
ID:	223331

Name:	IMG_20161001_143945.jpg 
Size:	4.12 MB 
ID:	223333

Name:	IMG_20161001_144506.jpg 
Size:	3.99 MB 
ID:	223337

Name:	IMG_20161001_144428.jpg 
Size:	3.59 MB 
ID:	223336

Name:	IMG_20161001_144400.jpg 
Size:	3.51 MB 
ID:	223335

Name:	IMG_20161001_185307.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	3.16 MB 
ID:	223338

Strangely the HU booted up with default language being Hindi

The unit is definitely not a smartphone quick android device but far quicker and faster than a normal 2-din HU. The capacitive touch screen helps a ton in navigating the library and general functions.

I can easily use Google Maps by making a Hotspot on my phone and even keep track of parameters using Torque App

The unit comes with 2 USB ports one of which was used for Turtle Beach Micro II for the optical signal, the second one was used with a 64GB Pen Drive and a 32GB micro SD card was also used.

For the digital signal I had to use USB Audio Player Pro which is a paid app for bypassing the Android kernel I guess and sending a bit perfect signal to the USB DAC and it's quite an easy to use app once you get the hang of it. Mind you the hardware and software volume control gets disabled and you have to use the DSP remote for the volume control.

All in all it's a very nice unit that even sounds good on analog pre outs. I would easily rate the sound quality on par with a Pioneer 2-din unit if not better.

ICE Apprentice
      Walter White of ICE

Awesome

In other news, the Ertiga will be de-iced soon. It is no longer my daily drive. The Verna was replaced by a Honda Jazz V MT (Petrol) which is more suitable to my daily route and routine. Plus I somehow am not entirely satisfied and happy with some aspects of the Ertiga - the engine noise, flimsy pillars, thin door pads and the expense of overcoming these hurdles.

The petrol Honda is super silent and will make for a better platform for the kind of setup I require.

I will be shifting most of the ICE in the Jazz with the AF GB60, GB12, Arc Audio PS8 and the wiring.

The highs will be different this time to take maximum benefit of the A-Pillars, the HU will be a Pioneer F60BT from the Innova (Innova gets a Pioneer 289BT), the DSP I will also try the Helix DSP.

The amplifier will be a new one and more suitable to the setup and usage of the setup. The damping will be bare basic and limited to what is required.

Will post a new thread on that soon

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this setup in even the smallest way

Awesome

very detailed thread and great equipments......

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread Information