• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: ICE-Land v5.0 - The Slow The Fat and The SQ - Ertiga ZDi

Audio Banned

Awesome

So the mystery box is almost in the open now..................It is raining LX here.....first Pinto then Adithya and now the demi-God karan....licking the wounds here, karan i just saw my reflection and saw a green eyed monster full of envy .
      ICE, 4-way active - Eclipse CD7200mkii Head Unit, Kenwood KOS-300, Two Pioneer GM-X944 amps, Dayton midbass and wideband, Dayton AMT tweeters, Infinity Kappa sub, Ref. MX cables, entec speaker cables,
      Home: 3-way active: Dune Media Player, Parasound ZDAc v2, DBX 3-way analogue crossover, DIY 3-way tower speakers, 6-channel DNM amplifier: 2-way passive: Laptop source, TEAC UD301 DAC, 6J1 active tube buffer, Adcom amplifier, Infinity bookshelf and Wharfedale subwoofer

ICE Apprentice
      Walter White of ICE

Awesome

The All American Dream

Quote Originally Posted by gkannan View Post
      So the mystery box is almost in the open now..................It is raining LX here.
      That it is sir

I tried my best to keep myself away from it but being an amplifier fetish stricken individual, it was quite difficult

So the Zapco 150.4LX will be powering the entire front stage with over 200w of clean, unadulterated power. Of course how much power the speakers end up using is an entirely different matter .. but hey .. you gotta love Headroom

Please excuse the lack of proper unpacked pictures as I have yet to take the amplifier out of the plastic bag. Will do that over the weekend and post some clean shots of the amplifier.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsz002.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	213657

Name:	rsz003.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	213656

Name:	rsz004.JPG 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	213655

Name:	rsz005.JPG 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	213654

Name:	rsz006.JPG 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	213653

Name:	rsz007.JPG 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	213652

Name:	rsz008.JPG 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	213651

Name:	rsz009.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	213650

Name:	rsz010.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	213649

Name:	rsz011.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	213648

Name:	rsz012.JPG 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	213647

Name:	rsz013.JPG 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	213646

Name:	rsz014.JPG 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	213645

Just from the feel of the amplifier in the packaging, you can notice the high build quality and the heft of the entire thing. The materials feel premium to touch and very robust. Highly impressed with the overkill build quality of the amplifier, specially among it's counterparts ( I won't name them, but I have owned and own most of them currently )

My only grouse is the power and speaker wire terminals look common. They feel very well built but the look of those is pretty commonly seen on other brands. Does not effect the performance in any way of course but if I have to nitpick anything, this would be the only thing I can think of.

There are no on board filters or EQ or any tuning options. Individual gain pots for all the channels which I feel does help in the extreme fine tuning. Though can also be slightly touh to use for a subwoofer with the amplifier bridged.

The upgraded Tiffany style RCA terminals are my personal favorite ever since I used DLS with such a style of connectors. They will not come off even with use of a tight RCA cable and no scary wiggle to them.

Overall this amplifier reeks of quality from the physical aspects. How does it sounds will be explored later
      Last edited by karanbhatia; 6th Nov 2015 at 22:56.
      It's the best way to dump money and spend an inordinate amount of time...because all debts are paid when the hairs on the back of your neck stand straight up and goosebumps cover your arms, because the sound is SO good. - Scott Buwalda

life is all about ICE upgrade

Awesome

Blog Entries
      karanbhatia it seems like raining Z-LX amplifiers..
      One of the purest amplifiers I have came across.. And no doubt the packaging is just amazing..

Now I know from where u got the Zapco sticker..
      Last edited by Digital Vampire; 7th Nov 2015 at 09:26. Reason: Back to back posts
      pioneer 80prs | MLK 165 midbass | ML 28 | AP AR3A | HAT Legatia L3XO | Audison LRX 4.1 | HSK 130 | Rockford R250-4 | Digital Designs 2515 | Rockford T1500.1bdcp
      New setup coming soon.

ICE Apprentice
      Walter White of ICE

Awesome

The Matrix

For the front stage, it was always going to be with a mid-range in the mix. I personally prefer that a lot so it was obvious that the configuration will be a 3-way or a 2-way with a widebander.

I decided to try the latter seeing how well this configuration is doing in the competition circuit of course with proper implementation.

The benefits are easier tuning (no phase issue in the 300Hz to 20Khz region), less amplifier channels required, less time of installation etc.

For the wide band duty as well as dedicated mid ranges in the 3" driver size category, my choice is almost always going to be Audible Physics.

I have tried the RAM3, AR3A and for the wide band in this setup, I wanted something to perform equally good in mid and high frequency region and take the game up from the previous models.

The wideband used here will be the Audible Physics NZ3AlBe

Name:	rsz002.JPG 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	213670

Name:	rsz003.JPG 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	213671

Name:	rsz004.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	213672

Name:	rsz005.JPG 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	213673

These little beauties have been doing wonders in the competition circuit and with a lot of expert installers using them in their installs. It was a good enough reason for me to try this model.

Some thing I like:

1) Grill is integrated into the design to protect the cone made of Beryllium-Aluminium matrix foil

2) Neodymium magnet that helps keep the mounting depth and weight low.

3) Low Fs

4) High power handling capability

My only grouse would be the terminals but I understand to keep the design compact, these were the best choice.

The set is fully broken in for over 200 hours. It's totally ready to go and do what it does best.

Name:	rsz001.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	213669

The flush mount rings to use in the fiberglass have been made by monty9991 and we will be trying to get it unerdway tomorrow. A chamfered edge was used to add a new design element rather than a flat surface.

Name:	IMG_6320.JPG 
Size:	513.4 KB 
ID:	213668

The Mid-Bass is still to be decided. I am tossing between options such as Vector MKII, RAM6.5, Seas Reference RW165, Audiofrog GB60, Rainbow Profi W165, Illusion Carbon C6 etc

Not exactly which one I will go with since almost all of them have a high performance to price ratio and other than the Seas, I think all of them will fit the Ertiga comfortably. My requirements are not a earth shattering, sub replacing 6.5" driver. I need it to play clean between 70hz and 400Hz and have good power handling.

Will post that as soon as I get my hands on it
      It's the best way to dump money and spend an inordinate amount of time...because all debts are paid when the hairs on the back of your neck stand straight up and goosebumps cover your arms, because the sound is SO good. - Scott Buwalda

not aware that he can set his status here!

Hungry

Great setup coming baba. This must be the first NZ3AlBe of the forum.
      2015 Mercedes-Benz C200 Avantgarde
      2016 Hyundai Creta SX(O)
      2014 Tata Safari Storme EX
      2014 Hyundai Elite i20 Asta:
      Nexus 7 -> AK4490EQ -> miniDSP C-DSP| DLS A2 | Audible Physics RAM3a | Boston GT2125
      | Vaani Vector 6.5mkII | Rockford Fosgate T400-2 | Morel Ultimo SC

THE PURSUIT OF musical
      HAPPINESS

Awesome

Yet another karan bhatia thread!!!good luck mate keep em coming
      its never the destination that gives the happiness..its always about the journey

ICE Apprentice
      Walter White of ICE

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by bamaboy View Post
      Great setup coming baba.
      Thanks baba

Quote Originally Posted by bamaboy View Post
      This must be the first NZ3AlBe of the forum.
      I guess the first documented but there are other setups with the same model brewing up elsewhere as well

Quote Originally Posted by icruze View Post
      good luck mate keep em coming
      Aye Aye Capain

So the day started at 5AM with a drive to Ludhiana to meet Monty paaji and get some important things underway as planned

The plan was to mount the rings on the pillars and fix them after required aiming and location was done.

It was decided early on the speakers would be aimed towards the individual side headrest.

Name:	image9.jpeg 
Size:	616.6 KB 
ID:	213721

Paaji assembling the Dremel 4000 to suit his requirements.

Name:	image10.jpeg 
Size:	496.7 KB 
ID:	213722

Apologies for the sideways picture :l

Name:	IMG_6421.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	673.2 KB 
ID:	213724

Angles being matched as well as the height

Name:	IMG_6420.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	560.9 KB 
ID:	213723

Checking in the car .. Everything seemed fine so this is what we're proceeding with

The idea is it have maximum usable airspace in the pod for the mid range with some fiberfill stuffing to cover any reflective surfaces behind the speaker. Should be doable once the pod is ready so fingers crossed

ICE Apprentice
      Walter White of ICE

Awesome

The Prototype

The second task for today was to apply damping to the doors. Our aim was to do this intelligently and efficiently. There is no benefit of unnecessarily applying too much damping and adding useless dead weight to your vehicle to lug around. Also it can a lot of times not allow the door pads to snap back on properly and instead add more buzzing to the entire structure.

Our plan was to use only what we felt was necessary and in the necessary quantity. Another aim was to try a prototype variant of the heavyweight DampMat Exceed which is being tested to be even more flexible. The Exceed variant weighs about 1.5 kgs and hence the added flexibility will help. monty9991 Paaji was sure this would give the required results. If he's sure then that's what we do without any more questions

We applied the damping in the following manner:

1) Dampmat Exceed Prototype on the outermost surface of the door.

2) Dampmat Flex on the door panel to cover the service holes and smaller holes.

3) Dampmat Flex on the door pads **** More on this at the end of the post.

Will let the pictures describe everything.

Dampmat Exceed Prototype

Name:	image1.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	953.9 KB 
ID:	213725

Name:	image2.jpeg 
Size:	703.1 KB 
ID:	213726

Name:	image3.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	213727

This will be the same size as the regular variant. Pricing and availability, I will let monty9991 paaji comment on at the appropriate time

Name:	image3.jpeg 
Size:	498.3 KB 
ID:	213728

Doors opened and cleaned properly

Name:	image8.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	650.2 KB 
ID:	213730

Name:	image4.jpeg 
Size:	696.5 KB 
ID:	213731

Name:	image5.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	628.2 KB 
ID:	213729

The Prototype applied to the outer skin.

This was definitely easier to get into the corners and around the curves and needed no use of heat gun at any point. Highly impressed

Name:	image5.jpeg 
Size:	670.9 KB 
ID:	213732

Dampmat Flex applied initially only to cover the service holes and small holes.

Name:	image6.jpeg 
Size:	642.3 KB 
ID:	213733

Name:	image8.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	688.5 KB 
ID:	213734

Additional patches after the mandatory 'knock' test. Being a Maruti and with large doors, it was a good idea to add the patches. Depending on your car, you may or may not need to but certainly in no way do you need to weigh down the door with full coverage. This is not a flat sheet metal that is going to flex and rattle.

Name:	image6.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	579.3 KB 
ID:	213735

Door pads opened and cleaned properly.

Name:	image7.jpeg 
Size:	406.7 KB 
ID:	213736

Dampmat Flex .. often a very underestimated product.

Name:	image9.jpeg 
Size:	639.8 KB 
ID:	213737

Applied where required.

In the end the door pads snapped back easily. The door was solid and had that 'thud' to it while closing but never felt too heavy unlike some setups I have seen as well as done the same mistake on my previous one.

The rear door pads were not damped as the rear fills if at all, will be a pair of coaxials, for which the door pads will be covered with something new as well

As for the Prototype, it passed with flying colors for me. Will definitely recommend this where needed.

There will be few more prototypes of new products that will be used on the floor and some areas that have been left undamped or partially damped on purpose

The damping part still remains as is the wiring, it shall be tackled ASAP and will try to post the new under testing products soon for everyone's benefit. 90% of the door damping work is done. For the rest of the progress on them and the floor, please keep watching this space or contact monty9991 should he wishes to divulge

AudioGizmos

Awesome

Karan make sure those NZ enclosure is sealed from back. Position it equally as recommended.

ICE Apprentice
      Walter White of ICE

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by invinsible View Post
      NZ enclosure is sealed from back.
      Will do .. had asked the back side of the pod to be cut but will let it remain intact and measure the capacity as well. Will lining the inner walls with thin carpet be fine ? Just to avoid any hard reflective surfaces ?

Thank you for the advise

Quote Originally Posted by invinsible View Post
      Position it equally as recommended.
      The rings are positioned at similar height, location and angle on both sides

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information