• Secret
  • Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: My Italian Girl Friend - 2010 BNW LINEA MJD

Karma has no menu, you get
      served what you deserve

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Sud View Post
      Delphi - 1500/-
      I have read ppl using them on their FIAT's and are happy with them. Many are using these on swift's with great reviews aswell.

served what you deserve

Awesome

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6991.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	494.6 KB 
ID:	231208

served what you deserve

Awesome

Running has been uneventful, hence haven’t got chance to update the thread. Highway running has also been reduced considerably. Most of the driving is now limited to peak & slow moving traffic and torturing wait at signals.

During one such wait, I noticed smoke under hood. I opened the hood, but couldn’t notice anything. Sat back & again noticed same. Checked again and noticed smoke but wasn’t able to figure out the source. Noticed greasy engine bay (which generally isn’t). Unable to figure out the root cause, took it to FNG right then. It took him just 2 mins to establish the fuel pipe is leaking. Once the covering was removed, diesel spillage was visible; which was causing fumes when came in contact to engine surface when hot. Replacement of reverse fuel line was suggested and done.
      Also, the AC had gone kaput 2 days back, and the fan was found broken. Fan motor was replaced. Though none could ascertain the reason behind same except ageing.

Anyhow, glad these issue happened inside the city and in vicinity. The lady is now taking baby steps to 1.1L KM’s. Haven’t got her shoes changed (yet) as the running has reduced considerably and limited to low speed city driving.

The itch to upgrade to LED bulbs (low beam) and HID (high beam) has again surfaced. Haven’t read/met/seen a single linea with this modification, hence still ain’t sure 100%. Will keep posted, if that happens

Learning each day

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by metal_heart View Post
      The itch to upgrade to LED bulbs (low beam) and HID (high beam) has again surfaced
      It should be the other way round. HID in low and LED in high. You need quick response from high beam bulb for flashing and immediate foreground visibility. Since low beam will be on most of the time, you can get HID in 4300K or 5000K which will be more favorable than LED which is primarily 6000K

served what you deserve

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by kunwar.g View Post
      It should be the other way round
      I do agree to your thought. Most probably wont upgrade HI due to limitation factor but fitting HID without projector in LO is something i'm not sure of. I don't want to blind the oncoming traffic especially when it would the main lights used.

LED in high, have read at plenty of forum/post that throw get compromised, hence dropped the idea for now wrt HI's

Learning each day

Awesome

fitting HID without projector in LO is something i'm not sure of
      Thats a very responsible thought, however you can try it, the benefit with cars with dual barrell is that the reflector is designed specifically for the purpose ( low beam , high beam ) unlike the one that take the H4 bulb, which do cover for both and hence will always have some amount glare leakage

In just a low beam specific reflector the HID shouldn't have as much of a glare + if you use a warmer temp bulb - 4300K then the glare isnt as straining to the opp as it would be at around 6000K. Also, you can always align the position a bit lower

The best option is to have it in a projector, however that is around 2.5 time more the cost and effort

LED in high,
      Thats another piece of fact that most people dont clearly understand, they see the glare from the LED bulb and image it will bring more visibility when they sit in the driver seat. LED is good for low beam only unless the reflector module is small and is able to transfer all the brightness to the focused area, even then the color temp and light doesnt have a good reach.

Basis your above post I am sure you will make the most responsible and VFM choice eventually.

served what you deserve

Awesome

Somewhere around the city....
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7070.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	266.6 KB 
ID:	232290

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Reply to Metal heart

I have always been unsatisfied by the lady's eyes.
      I wish I had bumped little early in this thread.
      Quote Originally Posted by livelyyoungman View Post
      Is it obstructing the view of others? Have felt that the LED's are too sharp for others on road. Hence went with Projectors for my Linea. Though they are also sharp, they don't sting the eyes. The high beam is excellent on highways to ensure the hopeless drivers dip down. I use the low in city and works like a charm.
      This is due to the very nature and design of LED Aux lamps. Naturally, these Aux lamps are sold as OFF ROAD ONLY accessory as they are not tested/ Authorised by any Road Authority like DOT or E4. All OEM headlights are required to have DOT or similar Compliance so that they do not glare oncoming traffic.

The major difference being having a Glare shield that prevents light from spreading into oncoming eye-level as well has having cap/Shields to prevent direct exposure of the bulb. The chinese LED Aux lamps do not follow all this.

Well, LED by nature are insanely bright and all over the place; but then majority of them have flood pattern beam

I purchased ĎSPOtí beam pattern hoping better focused light. Currently their focus is set just below the HIí beams

My use is purely on divided highways and have habit of dipping as soon as I spot a vehicle. hopefully it shouldnít bother

Worst case; if I encounter a lot of rejection from fellow road user; Iíll move them to lower dam and cover them with yellow tint (and use as pure fogs)
      Purchasing SPOT beam does not help. Nor does aiming. As long as there is no proper glareshield, Nothing helps and it still blinds. However, on Divided highways when used carefully could be a boon for high speed night runs.

Quote Originally Posted by dhans4all View Post
      Nice place to fix LED but wont this affect airflow to radiator?

Sent from my Capture+ using Tapatalk
      I have the same doubt. Dont think about Sq CM of area blocked by these lights. The presence of foreign object (like lights) will cause turbulence in air flow, which means radiator does not get laminar flow as designed by OEM. The Front grille slats are often aerodynamically designed for channeling air in particular fashion.

Initially I was also concerned abt it; but then there is plenty of space around the LED for airflow and also itís 1-2Ē inch far from radiator

I am worried that heat from radiator may not let LED cool properly (but then itís always gonna be used during cruising)
      This is How your LEDs are dying.
      LEDs are very sensitive to temperature. And there is often a huge delta from Internal chip temperature to External air temperature. Say if Air temp is 40.C, Chip Temp would be 60.C or so.

As Heat, Like water flows from a higher level to lower level. You need cool air around LED heatisnk or the Chip will not be able to get rid of their heat, if the heatisink itself is hot.

Now you have placed LED in very hot engine-bay/Radiator area with ambient temps of 60~70.C. Which means Chips are cooking at well beyond 100.C. These charts are not linear and as LED heats up, It becomes more inefficient. Driver dumps more current to maintain power ratings, LED heats up more. Think of a thermal runaway. They cook within minutes in this way. I am yet to see any chinese AUX lamp having thermal probe and with automatic shutdown circuitry in case they overheat.

You are also baking these LEDS Day in and day out, Even when off. Which means your Driver circuitry is also uselessly heating up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnet View Post
      Try for tricolor LED Headlamps.
      h4 :- Low beam color options :- 3000/4300/6000K (switchable)
      Highbeam :- 6000K Only.
      Stay away from these jugaad. They're not good.

Can anyone advise me; if Changing FOG lamp bulb is DIY. Can the covering be removed from outside and bulb changed?
      Its pretty much DIY if you have time. Usually you have to remove wheel well liners (Black plastic ones) which are held in by plastic rivets. Once thats out of the way, Bulbs are usually twist fit.

Last weekend, Wife took on the driving seat for approx. 200KM on CHD-DEL highway. Now she's a cautious and very sedate driver (PS: I got bored like hell in passenger seat); but was shocked, that she was able to extract an amazing mileage out of the drive. First time ever; I could see 24.1 km/l average consumption for a such long distance.
      (took over the wheel's and managed to kill it to 23 kmpl )

Early morning & FASTAG helped keeping the journey smooth but the best I had got till date was 22~ish.
      Even my wife is a sedate driver and extracts much better FE than me. However, yes its boring as anything. But sometimes I do sit back and relax.

During one such wait, I noticed smoke under hood. I opened the hood, but couldnít notice anything. Sat back & again noticed same. Checked again and noticed smoke but wasnít able to figure out the source. Noticed greasy engine bay (which generally isnít). Unable to figure out the root cause, took it to FNG right then. It took him just 2 mins to establish the fuel pipe is leaking. Once the covering was removed, diesel spillage was visible; which was causing fumes when came in contact to engine surface when hot. Replacement of reverse fuel line was suggested and done.
      Also, the AC had gone kaput 2 days back, and the fan was found broken. Fan motor was replaced. Though none could ascertain the reason behind same except ageing.

Anyhow, glad these issue happened inside the city and in vicinity. The lady is now taking baby steps to 1.1L KMís. Havenít got her shoes changed (yet) as the running has reduced considerably and limited to low speed city driving.

The itch to upgrade to LED bulbs (low beam) and HID (high beam) has again surfaced. Havenít read/met/seen a single linea with this modification, hence still ainít sure 100%. Will keep posted, if that happens
      Good god! The FNG saved your life. Although Diesel does not ignite as quickly as Petrol, God knows what would've happened. Esp if it finds its way towards exhaust manifold!

Quote Originally Posted by kunwar.g View Post
      It should be the other way round. HID in low and LED in high. You need quick response from high beam bulb for flashing and immediate foreground visibility. Since low beam will be on most of the time, you can get HID in 4300K or 5000K which will be more favorable than LED which is primarily 6000K
      Correct

I do agree to your thought. Most probably wont upgrade HI due to limitation factor but fitting HID without projector in LO is something i'm not sure of. I don't want to blind the oncoming traffic especially when it would the main lights used.

LED in high, have read at plenty of forum/post that throw get compromised, hence dropped the idea for now wrt HI's
      I believe we have already discussed this on TAI. The Low beam reflector is such designed to limit glare. Prev gen Corolla Altis comes with HID low beams in reflector from factory.

P.s- Your PMs on TAI are bouncing due to full inbox. Can you resend them here?
      Last edited by WildWeasel; 10th Aug 2018 at 09:54. Reason: Merged back to back posts.

served what you deserve

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by bhvm View Post
      I wish I had bumped little early in this thread.
      I wish, I knew you were here on this forum. Would have tagged you.

You are also baking these LEDS Day in and day out
      Never thought about it and would probably never had, until you have mentioned. They are not providing any real benefit, would probably just remove them.
      However, I wonder why these LED went kaput in 10 min, when installed together, but kept running fine after one is fried. Could be bad wiring &/|| the reason you just mentioned.

Purchasing SPOT beam does not help. Nor does aiming. As long as there is no proper glareshield, Nothing helps and it still blinds
      Yeah... learned after wasting money

on Divided highways when used carefully could be a boon for high speed night runs.
      It is actually not, as the throw isn't much; which I believe is very important on high speed runs.

I have the same doubt. Dont think about Sq CM of area blocked by these lights. The presence of foreign object (like lights) will cause turbulence in air flow, which means radiator does not get laminar flow as designed by OEM. The Front grille slats are often aerodynamically designed for channeling air in particular fashion.
      That is good piece of thought. Though I have no substantial evidence to support otherwise; but haven't noticed any heating issue or temp gauage behaviour (may not be best way to establish)

Usually you have to remove wheel well liners (Black plastic ones) which are held in by plastic rivets.
      Thanks for this info. will look out if I can do it. Will use fogs for my experimentation, unless I get satisfactory bulbs.

I believe we have already discussed this on TAI.
      Yes, absolutely. Infact I found a seller name Blaze India in DELHI, will probably reach out to him, and figure out if he i'll be kind to accommodate try & purchase option

Your PMs on TAI are bouncing due to full inbox.
      Yeah... you are probably sought after by many
      Was PMing to know, if the link helped to establish the issue.
      bhvm thanks for the inputs and learning. Your post have helped look couple of things from different perspective

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

I wish, I knew you were here on this forum. Would have tagged you.

Never thought about it and would probably never had, until you have mentioned. They are not providing any real benefit, would probably just remove them.
      However, I wonder why these LED went kaput in 10 min, when installed together, but kept running fine after one is fried. Could be bad wiring &/|| the reason you just mentioned.

Yeah... learned after wasting money

It is actually not, as the throw isn't much; which I believe is very important on high speed runs.

That is good piece of thought. Though I have no substantial evidence to support otherwise; but haven't noticed any heating issue or temp gauage behaviour (may not be best way to establish)

Thanks for this info. will look out if I can do it. Will use fogs for my experimentation, unless I get satisfactory bulbs.

Yes, absolutely. Infact I found a seller name Blaze India in DELHI, will probably reach out to him, and figure out if he i'll be kind to accommodate try & purchase option

Yeah... you are probably sought after by many
      Was PMing to know, if the link helped to establish the issue.
      bhvm thanks for the inputs and learning. Your post have helped look couple of things from different perspective
      2. There are usually two reasons for LED failure. Thermal and Electrical. Although connecting LED directly to battery is never a good Idea, I believe the Driver circuitry in these lamp should be good enough to compensate for any Alternator spikes, Cranking etc. However, as its chinese, nothind can be said.

In your case, Thermal issue seems more prominent.

4. What you need is an HIGH BEAM ASSIST-
      DIY High Beam Assist Lights (Driving lamps): No Drill or Metal Bumper Required

Unfortunately such lamps are very hard to find In India simply due to fact that people do not understand. People call any roundish Aux lamps as FOG Lamps. Which they are not! The beam pattern is really important.

A decent high beam assist makes 100+ KMPH speedy runs really safe.

5. Thats decent. Engine cooling is usually made overkill so that it works with zero airflow (Traffic jam) or extreme temperatures (desert runs?)

I remember this incident when a dude's Toyota Tundra overheated just because the mounted number plate half an inch above. Just half inch! That was enough to cause some turbulence in air flow and cause issues. The dude was also running big off road tyres and off road tents etc which brought him to the very limits of stock cooling system. Removing the plate allowed him to resume journey. This was also shown on youtube.

8. Thanks and always welcome.

Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread Information