During the month of June '10 my Indica started giving some unusual problems quite often and somewhat we all in the family felt that it’s time to go for a new car. This time to my surprise my dad and mum agreed to go for a SUV/ MUV budget up to 10 L as I was not able to convince my dad in buying Bolero SLX last time and settled for Indica in 2007.
With the budget approval up to 10 L I knew I had only very few options, but then owning a SUV/ MUV for the 1st time in life was a WOW feeling and I went straight to MPL Mahindra to check out the new Bolero VLX and book this time, however, I also wanted to check Scorpio too. Initially, I did not like the looks of Xylo and somehow the interest grew in me and now I feel that Xylo is the stylish cars in the SUVs/ MUVs segment...
I was very much conscious in not going for any Tata Products this time so did not check out Safari and Grande. Went to Lanson Toyota to check out Innova, apppaaa too expensive as the price starts from 12.5 L which is way above the approved budget. Also, the Innova’s 3rd row seating is as good as folding the legs to your chin and sitting.
Again, this time I failed to convince my dad for getting a Bolero as he gets more defensive when I talk about it and I don’t want to spoil his mood every time when he sits in the Car, so I decided to ditch my dream of getting a Bolero . After having discussions with my wife and parents, we decided to book Xylo which I felt is a VFM deal than Scorpio.
As I decided to go for a Xylo, I went to all 3 dealers in Chennai to check out what special that they could offer me for the new car and also for the existing car as I had to sell my Indica and get Xylo. The Old car offer started from 2.20 L and I closed it at 2.60 L. I also came to know that the Sales Rep who attended me for Xylo was the one who bought my Indica for 2.70 L.
It was an open fight between all 3 dealers to snap me from the other 2. MPL Mahindra won the battle at last and I made the down payment on 23rd July with the promise that I will get the new car by 1st week of August.
Below were the discounts I got:
1. Exchange Bonus – 15,000/-
2. Corporate Bonus – Rs. 7,000/-
3. 1st Year Insurance – Rs. 24, 781/- (Selected ICICI Lombard)
4. Free Mud Flaps and Door Mats – Rs. 1,800/-
5. Free Sun Film – Rs. 3,500/-
Thanks to Shishir for giving me advice about the negotiations. I still remember Shishir telling me take that extra effort to cry in one eye if you’re not getting discounts. Thanks, Dude!!
I got a call from the Sales Rep on August 10th (did not receive the car by 1st week of August) that the Excise Duty for all the Cars have gone up and that I need to pay an additional Rs. 14, 000/-. This message made me feel like I was fooled and thought for a minute that I should have checked the Tatas
I did not show my anger/ frustrations to the Sales Rep as I know that it is not his fault. After an hour I got a Call from the Sales Rep saying that I will just have to pay the additional Excise duty charges and that I will be handed over Xylo Premium variant which I did not even think about as I booked Xylo E8 with ABS.
Xylo Premium comes with Air Bags @ an additional cost of Rs. 24,000/-.
Total On-Road Cost @ the time of booking – Xylo E8 with ABS – 9.71 L Xylo E8 Premium – 9.95 L
Total On-Road Cost @ the time of Delivery – Xylo E8 with ABS – 9.86 L Xylo E8 Premium – 10.07 L
And I got Xylo Premium in spite of increase in Excise Duty @ – 9.86 L. Special thanks to the Sales Rep to take that extra initiative in getting this “Steal Deal”
1. It is bigger than what it looks on the outside - unlike the Sumo Grande which is huge on the outside as well as inside.
2. Excellent 3rd row seating comfortability. Did not get this comfort in any of the SUVs/ MUVs (front facing)
3. Even the last person in my car can get the A/c instantaneously. Roof mounted individual A/c even to the 3rd row seating
4. DDAS – This is something new to me and I did not find this in Scorpio/ Bolero. Thought this is one useful gadget to have in any car
5. This make is new to the market (going to be 2 years now) unlike his brothers (Scorpio and Bolero) who are here for almost 10 years now
6. Last but not the least, falls under the approved Budget of 10 L
Why White and why not other colors?? – My wife and I wanted to go for Black, but a strong no from my parents (my parents are very conservative), mum did not like the Java Brown, Maroon was a common color so none of us looked at it and we finalized Gold that’s when the Sales Rep told us that the Gold color is more prevalent in Taxi variant. So, we didn’t have a choice but to go for White.
1. Though the Beige dashboard gives a rich look, the A/c vents and door openers spoil the entire interiors of the car. Cheap plastics used
2. Engine On/ off with the huge vibration inside the cabin. The whole steering column and engine room shakes while switching on/ off. My wife was laughing when I was switching on/ off the truck
3. Too bright instrument cluster light. Looks like 2 tube-lights are glowing inside the instrument cluster and there is no provision to reduce the light intensity as I had in Indica
4. DDAS display and place where it is mounted– Though I like this gadget, somehow I did not like its placement in the car. I feel like it’s that gadget the Call Taxis have in their cars. Also the display having an Orange background, pathetic. There is nothing to beat the Innova’s DDAS though!
This car was a rare sight on our roads, which will probably change now as Mahindra has launched Xylo Taxis that comes with non-CRDE Engines. There are 3 colors for Taxi variants – White (thank god, not the Diamond White that I got), Gold Shimmer and Silver with all black bumpers. I noticed lot of Fleet Owners sitting, discussing and seeing the Taxi Xylo variant when I went to take my car delivery last Friday.
After driving small/ sedan cars for almost 13 years, I feel like I am seated in the 1st floor in Xylo and have a great command on the road.
Now, when is the next GQ drive??? Please count me, I am in!!
Check this Sticker!!
Powered by m-Eagle and GearHeads..
Mods done so far was only one - Changed the number plates to look fancy as the company provided was looking sick. Yet to get the Sun Film pasted.
Mods in plan -
1. Change the Nippon Music Player to some good DVD Player + Screen
2. New Seat Covers