• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Maintenance cost of automatics vs manual?

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Maintenance cost of automatics vs manual?

I am waiting for the crysta innova, my relative says i should go for automatic. The reason he says are

1. There wont be clutch damage.Since the car will be chauffeur driven(2-3) he says manual will need clutch relacement as some drivers ride the clutch.

2. Automatic will offer highest safety features like 6 airbags.(not confirmed)

3. He says mileage will be same or even better as the vehicle shifts gears optimally.

My doubts are,

1. I read that brake pads need replacement often , is that so?

2.Even minor accidents can affect the auto gearbox?

3.Long term reliability , if i plan to keep it for 10 years, will it be reliable?

4. Like clutch replacement which is the costliest work in a manual car, does automatics have any such replacements?

Endodontist Here

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by sparkls View Post
      I am waiting for the crysta innova, my relative says i should go for automatic. The reason he says are

1. There wont be clutch damage.Since the car will be chauffeur driven(2-3) he says manual will need clutch relacement as some drivers ride the clutch.

2. Automatic will offer highest safety features like 6 airbags.(not confirmed)

3. He says mileage will be same or even better as the vehicle shifts gears optimally.

My doubts are,

3.Long term reliability ?
      Sir Innova crysta looks more premium than its predecessor. The entire package looks very much refined in the crysta. As we know Innova is mainly used as the Taxi(of course used personally) they are long term reliable and must be with the crysta also. But coming to the gear box not sure if a minor accident can damage the gear box but if at all you get a problem with the auto transmission most probably to my knowledge the entire set has to be replaced for a hassle free ride quality. If you get a problem with the VW DSG the entire gearbox needs replacement which is around 1-1.5L. But in the Toyota case expecting it to be a little less than the VAG. if you buy why don't you opt for the ext.warranty the gear box must be covered under it. Even the most problematic DSG gearboxes are covers under warranty nowadays which were not covered by the VW before 2 years.

Global Moderator
      At wits end with Safari's
      auto-correct!

Awesome

Blog Entries
      My doubts are,

Absolutely not.

Absolutely not. Anything accident that affects gearbox will affect either of them regardless.

3.Long term reliability , if i plan to keep it for 10 years, will it be reliable?
      90% of the cars sold in the world are automatics .... and they are all reliable. As of 2012 only 19% of all the cars sold in the US even came with a manual option!

4. Like clutch replacement which is the costliest work in a manual car, does automatics have any such replacements?
      Nope - Automatics do not have clutches... they have torque converters. Torque converters last way longer than clutches do.
      A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Thread Information