• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Used car in Bangalore under 2 lakhs

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Used car in Bangalore under 2 lakhs

Hi All,

I am looking forward to buy an used car to drive arounnd in Bangalore city and occasional highway rides. Given that I am a new driver, my emphasis is on mastering the art and daily office rides (17 km one way). So what I am looking for is a car which doesn't make a hole in my wallet, not much maintenance, good fuel efficiency and handling.

Naturally I narrowed down to Maruti Suzuki Alto Lxi (2008-2009 make) and was searching my way through Gozoomo, Quickr, Olx and Maruti True Value. All are quoting me a rate of 1.9 - 2.5 lakhs for 2008-2009 make vehicles which has clocked and average of 50-80k in odomemeter. Is this rate justifiable (Various used car sites are valuing it at just 1.2-1.3 lakhs). How much I can negotiate it down to. What specific things I should look for when I go for a test drive.

Expert opinions invited.
      Last edited by kb100; 26th Mar 2016 at 20:40. Reason: Removed link.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Hi mahesh, alto is definitely a good choice considering your requirement. But spending more than 2 lakhs is not advisable since you have another option, the wagonr(better in terms of drivability and convenience, but not FE)..santro is fine too, but hyundai definitely not better than maruti any day..so try to negotiate and get it for around 1.8 lakhs and that price is justifiable.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Mahesh Mohan View Post
      Hi All,

I am looking forward to buy an used car to drive arounnd in Bangalore city and occasional highway rides. Given that I am a new driver, my emphasis is on mastering the art and daily office rides (17 km one way). So what I am looking for is a car which doesn't make a hole in my wallet, not much maintenance, good fuel efficiency and handling.

Naturally I narrowed down to Maruti Suzuki Alto Lxi (2008-2009 make) and was searching my way through Gozoomo, Quickr, Olx and Maruti True Value. All are quoting me a rate of 1.9 - 2.5 lakhs for 2008-2009 make vehicles which has clocked and average of 50-80k in odomemeter. Is this rate justifiable (Various used car sites are valuing it at just 1.2-1.3 lakhs). How much I can negotiate it down to. What specific things I should look for when I go for a test drive.

Expert opinions invited.
      Spending 2l on 7-8 yr old does not make sense. Should be 1.5 atmost. In 2l you might get, a year old nano twist or 5-6 yr old Tata vista saffire (petrol) which uses fiat's fire engine, because Tata vehicles have low resale value. Vista would be much comfortable and better car than alto for highway drives. Or better get a new nano.
      --------------------------------------------
      2002 Hero Honda CBZ
      2004 Maruti Alto Lx
      2011 Tata Indica Vista Aqua
      2015 Tata Safari Storme Vx 4x4

Lost & searching..

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by Mahesh Mohan View Post
      What specific things I should look for when I go for a test drive
      1. Vehicle & service history
      2. Condition of tyres
      3. Vibrations/noise in steering, full lock on either side - check for sounds that may indicate worn out shafts.
      4. Run the car in idle for a while - check for leaks, floor the accelerator - should rev smooth.
      5. A/c & all electrical equipment - check at all blower speeds.
      6. Struts on all 4 wheels - there should be no oil leak.
      7. Brakes - take the car out and test the brakes. Car should not pull to either left/right. Check for warped rotors.
      8. Inspect the car for rust inside out, under the carpet, near the firewall, wheel arches etc
      9. Check for the year of manufacture of all glasses - if one of them doesn't match, it's a replacement - Check as to why it was done if the car is claimed to be accident free.
      10. Put it on a lift and check for under body hit/damages - Inspect the exhaust for rust.

Good luck with your hunt & purchase.
      There is only one cure for grey hair. It was invented by a Frenchman. It is called the Guillotine - PGW

Thread Information