• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade Dilemma

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Upgrade Dilemma

Hey fellow Gearheads! I must say, Im excited to be making my first post here. Anyhow, getting on to the dilemma. The plan is to purchase a new vehicle in the next 2-3 months. We've started the search early, however and are having a hard time. We currently own a 2011 Hyundai Verna SX Auto, and have had a fairly trouble free ownership experience. Now the time has come, however to upgrade to a bigger and better vehicle. We have decided to consider either a used luxury vehicle under 32 lakhs or either the Toyota Fortuner or Hyundai Santa Fe.

Overall Shortlisted Vehicles:
      -Used BMW 3 series
      -Used Volvo S60(Personal Pick)
      -Used MB GLA (Second Personal Pick)
      -Used Audi A4
      -Used BMW X1
      -Used Audi Q3
      -New Toyota Fortuner/Santa fe
      -New Skoda Superb

Im against:
      -New Ford Endeavour and Chevy Captiva
      -C class
      -Volkswagen Passat
      -Skoda Octavia

Constraints:
      1)Must be Automatic
      2)Must be Diesel or Petrol with decent FE(impossible to find)
      3)Must be stable for highways
      4)Maintenance should not be exorbitant, so no higher end luxury vehicles like 5 series, etc.

Please help us decide as we are very confused.

Global Moderator
      At wits end with Safari's
      auto-correct!

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by petrolhead View Post
      Maintenance should not be exorbitant, so no higher end luxury vehicles like 5 series, etc.
      Welcome to GH and enjoy your stay here!

Maintenance will be proportionally higher as you go up the segments. There is no getting around that.

I think you are going about it the wrong way. You have all kinds/classes of vehicles in that list. You need to first decide if you want an SUV or a Sedan. Then decide if you want comfort or handling. These are all mutually exclusive. Narrow it down to what you want first, and then choose amongst the options you have.
      A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
      Welcome to GH and enjoy your stay here!

Maintenance will be proportionally higher as you go up the segments. There is no getting around that.

I think you are going about it the wrong way. You have all kinds/classes of vehicles in that list. You need to first decide if you want an SUV or a Sedan. Then decide if you want comfort or handling. These are all mutually exclusive. Narrow it down to what you want first, and then choose amongst the options you have.
      Interesting. My bad, I should have mentioned that we also have a 2014 Innova that's driver driven. I meant that the Verna was my dad's daily drive. That is why we are open toward sedans and SuVs. I had a talk with him today and we have narrowed it down to S60 and GLA. I understand that one is a crossover and the other is a sedan, but how can we go about deciding. Rather, what would suit a 43 year old man to drive on his own better.

Awesome

Please take a look at the Volvo V40 Cross Country T4/D3. A brand new one will just about fit in your budget.

Its basically the hatch back version of the S60 with raised ride height by 10mm. It also has a more practical boot than the S60 and can carry more luggage when the need be.

Seats and rest of the equipment is exactly the same as the s60.

I own the same and it is a fabulous car - especially the petrol. The petrol gives around 10 in the city and 12-13 on the highway when not caning it.

Highway stability is ridiculously awesome and Maintenance is dirt cheap - average service cost is 14k, service interval is 1yr/10k km.

Edit: Forgot to add - the diesel is 150HP from factory and the petrol is 180HP. Both have Polestar warranty approved remaps available. Diesel power goes up to 177HP, petrol to 200HP.
      Last edited by reignofchaos; 12th Apr 2016 at 12:28.

Global Moderator
      auto-correct!

Awesome

Blog Entries
      ^ +1 Volvos are solid cars. I second that.

Awesome

Hmm, I'm very convinced by that reasonable service cost. I've just enquired about a v40 cross country with my local dealership in hyd and was quoted 42.5L on road for the D3 inscription, and 33L for the T4 Momentum. Thats an absurd difference and puts the D3 variant very far off from what we had originally wanted to spend. How is the maintenance cost for the s60? I'm assuming it will be slightly higher, is 15-20k average cost per service reasonable? Is there the equivalent of a BSI for Volvo? Sorry for the bombardment of questions I just want to be educated before I approach the dealer in person .

Awesome

Hmm, I'm very convinced by that reasonable service cost. I've just enquired about a v40 cross country with my local dealership in hyd and was quoted 42.5L on road for the D3 inscription, and 33L for the T4 Momentum. Thats an absurd difference and puts the D3 variant very far off from what we had originally wanted to spend. How is the maintenance cost for the s60? I'm assuming it will be slightly higher, is 15-20k average cost per service reasonable? Is there the equivalent of a BSI for Volvo? Sorry for the bombardment of questions I just want to be educated before I approach the dealer in person .
      D3 had a massive massive price cut a few days ago of 3+ lacs on the ex showroom price. Ask them to base their prices on the new ex showroom. D3 has some extra stuff - panoramic sun roof, park assist pilot, rear camera, cruise control and a larger screen. All these barring the sun roof can be fitted by the dealer on the T4 as well. The standard V40 D3 R-design retails for around the same price as the T4 cross country if you must have a diesel but it has ~10mm lower ground clearance.

S60 has almost similar service cost - a few k here and there. They have a 2 year maintenance package for 1.5L which doesn't make much sense. The extended warranty of 2 years though is highly recommended and costs around a lac. I negotiated it into my purchase price. Also get the polestar remap - its like a free power upgrade without any risks. Price for this varies between 70k-1.2L depending on engine.
      Last edited by reignofchaos; 12th Apr 2016 at 14:33.

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

ve just enquired about a v40 cross country with my local dealership in hyd and was quoted 42.5L on road for the D3 inscription, and 33L for the T4 Momentum.
      What will the price be in US dollars? I get confused with the laks and crores.

Global Moderator
      auto-correct!

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Indian View Post
      ve just enquired about a v40 cross country with my local dealership in hyd and was quoted 42.5L on road for the D3 inscription, and 33L for the T4 Momentum.
      Quote Originally Posted by Indian View Post
      What will the price be in US dollars? I get confused with the laks and crores.
      About USD 64,000 and 50,000 respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
      Also get the polestar remap - its like a free power upgrade without any risks. Price for this varies between 70k-1.2L depending on engine.
      Volvo has started giving out approved remaps? Some dealers here and there used to tie up with remapping outfits, but thats the first time I have heard a manufacturer do it! Very nice!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by kb100 View Post

Volvo has started giving out approved remaps? Some dealers here and there used to tie up with remapping outfits, but thats the first time I have heard a manufacturer do it! Very nice!
      Yep manufacturer approved remaps, doesn't affect warranty. Polestar was a third party tuning firm earlier. However Volvo purchased it towards the end of 2015. Now they have remaps, complete sports exhaust+intake kits, Ohlins adjustable dampers, some interior+exterior bits available officially as sanctioned parts that don't affect warranty. I have ordered the sports intake+exhaust package. Waiting for it to arrive. It adds another 9bhp over the 200 currently from the remapped engine.

Also it probably is the only manufacturer that allows you to add all missing options that were not a part of the car from factory as accessories. I have added cruise control and rear parking camera later on. Planning to add the Sensus connected touch Android based head unit upgrade sometime later this year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information