• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ICE'n the Scorpion

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

ICE'n the Scorpion

What started as a simple message to mclaren1885 on whatapp to check if he has the Mosconi 6to8 dsp which I was planning to use in a simple OEM HU integration effort on my Punto using "affordable Hertz ESK series speakers and run of the mill amps" turned into this.

I must admit I was really into high end home audio when I was in school (financed by my dad ofc... ahhh those were the days). Today, 8 years later I just woke up to the reality that CA and working at a MNC audit firm had sucked music out of my life , I was reduced to listening to music on my headphones. It was time to make some time for things that I loved doing. Also realized I spend a considerable amount of time stuck in traffic on my way to work!

Suddenly here I am placing an order for almost 1 lac worth of stuff, I turn around and I think to myself wtf did I just do!? Oh well there was no turning back now..

In comes the Rainbow 1.8 DSP and the H400X amp

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03979.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	209.8 KB 
ID:	218399

Name:	DSC03981.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	306.9 KB 
ID:	218400

Name:	DSC03990.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	389.1 KB 
ID:	218401

Name:	DSC03989.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	355.1 KB 
ID:	218402

Awesome

Next Steps

Okay now that I had ordered for an amp and a DSP, my plan was to get a pair of Audison Voce K6 components for the front, install them in a two way active configuration and move on in life. But ooh no the universe had other plans for my money. We got the house repainted a month ago and while doing so all the stuff had to be taken out from shelves and packed in boxes and they where just lying like that. Suddenly dad tells me "there's some of your old speaker stuff upstairs and can you please sort them out CUZ I REMEMBER YOU BURNT A LOT OF MY MONEY ON THEM".

Took a look and there were a few drivers left over from one of my old projects. The aim was then was to create a perfectly timbre matched 5.1 system for DVD Audio\SACD playback which required matching the driver's t/s parameters as closely as possible so which also means I the excess drivers left (a pair of Vifa woofers and Seas tweeters). I love the Seas tweeters and decided immediately that I will use them and get a midbass alone as the Vifa ones cut off at 3000 hz which is ok when you have a well designed front baffle but not in a two way car system, besides the Vifa's were rejected in my original project because one was from a totally different production batch (It was newer and badged as peerless) and the other one's phase plug got damaged when it was brought in from the US.

So that was the new plan get a new pair of midbasses and go 2 way active. Started looking for a good midbass was thinking the L6s maybe and then finally decided to go 3 way active and use my Vifa woofers as I have 8 channels to play with here!

Name:	DSC03982.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	245.4 KB 
ID:	218412
      The paper pulp cone

Name:	DSC03985.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	308.9 KB 
ID:	218413
      The damaged phase plug, shouldn't matter much in a three way install i think

Name:	DSC03986.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	267.1 KB 
ID:	218414

Got these small flanged XT25s from another gear head

Name:	DSC03987.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	347.4 KB 
ID:	218415

Phew ... still need a lot more stuff

Awesome

More Stuff

The midrange drivers have come in

The made in India Peerless DM 50 AN

Name:	DSC03994.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	193.1 KB 
ID:	218507

Name:	DSC04000.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	177.1 KB 
ID:	218508

It has a massive rear chamber though, I'm hopeful that I will be able to shoe horn this somewhere in the car.

Name:	DSC04002.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	203.5 KB 
ID:	218509

Size comparison with the Vifa XT25SC90

Going mainstream with the Sony XM-GS4 amplifier, lot of good things were said about its predecessor. Hopefully this will be up to the job of powering the Vifa woofers

Name:	DSC03999.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	215.9 KB 
ID:	218510
      Last edited by abarth; 26th Apr 2016 at 10:33.

Audio Banned

Awesome

These peerless midrangers easily distort with even a little extra power ...they are designed manly for a low profile desktop like setup.
      do let share your experience.
      this indeed is a nice and bold effort with a cross section of drivers.

which midbass and subwoofer are you considering?....
      ICE, 4-way active - Eclipse CD7200mkii Head Unit, Ref. MX cables, Kenwood KOS-300, Two Pioneer GM-X944 4-channel amps, Dayton Reference 7 inch midbass, Dayton 4 inch reference midrange and Dayton AMT Tweeters, Infinity Kappa 10 inch subwoofer
      Home Audio, 3-way active - Dune Media Player, Parasound DAC, Behringer 32-band equalizer, DBX 3-way analogue crossover, Dayton Audio 3-way tower speakers.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by gkannan View Post
      These peerless midrangers easily distort with even a little extra power ...they are designed manly for a low profile desktop like setup.
      do let share your experience.
      this indeed is a nice and bold effort with a cross section of drivers.

which midbass and subwoofer are you considering?....
      Well the manufacturer has rated these drivers at 100 watts rms continuous, but you'd never know they could be lying

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	413.9 KB 
ID:	218511

So the setup will be 3 way no subwoofer. The Vifa XT18 for the woofer, Peerless dm50 for the midrange and the xt25 will be the tweeters.

Audio Banned

Awesome

An interesting set of drivers....

midbass is wood fibre cone
      midrange a metal cone
      tweeters, ring radiators

I am running the same tweeters by the way in an active setup....
      ICE, 4-way active - Eclipse CD7200mkii Head Unit, Ref. MX cables, Kenwood KOS-300, Two Pioneer GM-X944 4-channel amps, Dayton Reference 7 inch midbass, Dayton 4 inch reference midrange and Dayton AMT Tweeters, Infinity Kappa 10 inch subwoofer
      Home Audio, 3-way active - Dune Media Player, Parasound DAC, Behringer 32-band equalizer, DBX 3-way analogue crossover, Dayton Audio 3-way tower speakers.

Awesome

An interesting set of drivers....

midbass is wood fibre cone
      midrange a metal cone
      tweeters, ring radiators
      I know, covering as many materials as possible lol. No but in reality I chose the peerless drivers as they were easily available and have a tuned rear chamber.

I am running the same tweeters by the way in an active setup....
      Do you have a picture on how you have mounted the tweeters? Did you manage to remove them from the flange or did you just mount them with the flange on?

Audio Banned

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by abarth View Post
      Do you have a picture on how you have mounted the tweeters? Did you manage to remove them from the flange or did you just mount them with the flange on?
      Both the wideband and tweeters are on axis to the drivers seat. I have not removed the flanges

The tweeters are crossed at around 9khz 12 db slope on the amp.
      Both the wideband/tweeter drivers are on the same horizontal axis and kept very close to minimize phase and TA issues. My setup is a 4 way quasi active.
      The wideband, midbass and the sub are running active from the HU as it is 3-way active capable only.

The wideband along with the tweeters are mounted on a custom designed heavily damped 1.8 liter enclosure on the dash.
      I use two 4 channel Pioneer amps, one 4 channel amp is driving the wideband and tweeter and the other 4 channel amp is driving the midbass and sub, sub in bridged mode.
      The wideband is crossed from 315 hz while the midbass is bandpassed between 80-315 and sub doing the duty below 80.

The picture below is an older one and shows the HAT L1V2 tweeters which have since been replaced by the Vifa as the HATs went dead.
      I am not in town, will send latest pics by the weekend. You can however imagine the Vifa in the exact location as the HATs.

Name:	right dash.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	218524

Name:	right midbass.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	178.6 KB 
ID:	218525

People asking for status
      update

Awesome

gkannan, the enclosure looks huge. Are you able to see the road properly while driving. Doesn't this box impair your vision?

Audio Banned

Awesome

No, not at all. Quite a few GH members can vouch for it

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information