• Secret
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ICE'n the Scorpion

life is all about ICE upgrade

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by gkannan View Post
      No, not at all. Quite a few GH members can vouch for it
      M sure ur head must be touching the roof of the car.. Only then anyone can see beyond the enclosure..
      pioneer 80prs | MLK 165 midbass | ML 28 | AP AR3A | HAT Legatia L3XO | Audison LRX 4.1 | HSK 130 | Rockford R250-4 | Digital Designs 2515 | Rockford T1500.1bdcp
      New setup coming soon.

Looking for ....

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by Pr_007 View Post
      gkannan, the enclosure looks huge. Are you able to see the road properly while driving. Doesn't this box impair your vision?
      I thought the same when i saw that for first time. post a test drive neither i had any challenges on road.

The ICE in his car creates great impression in any ones mind...
      Thanks & Regards
      Balavignesh Ramasamy

PIONEER DEX-P99RS | TCHERNOV SPECIAL MAKE II IC | HYBRID AUDIO TECHNOLOGIES LEGATIA L1 PRO R2 HIGHS | LEGATIA L3 PRO MIDS | LEGATIA L6 V2 LOWS | CLARUS 10" SUB WOOFER | BRIAN B4 SOUNDSTREAM REFERENCE CLASS A PICASSO AMPS | STINGER HPF 4GA OFC POWER WIRE | KnuKONCEPTZ 4GA SCREW RING TERMINALS | RF DB |

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Time for some cables!!

The original idea was to use Van Den Hul d102 bulk cable that I had lying around, but I simply didn't have enough to make 6 interconnects so I ditched the idea and decided to make interconnects out of Canare microphone cable. But while shopping around for connectors on a online site I stumbled across a whole host of replica cables and the result is....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3143 small.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	247.5 KB 
ID:	218690

Name:	IMG_3144 small.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	218691

Name:	IMG_3145 small.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	351.9 KB 
ID:	218692

Sanding did reveal that the strands were indeed copper and not aluminium like I feared. The original cable has silver plating this one could be just tinned

Name:	IMG_3146 small.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	221.4 KB 
ID:	218693

The finished interconnects.

Thinkin' of a master plan

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by gkannan View Post
      as the HATs went dead
      Just curious & off topic - How did they go dead?
      Also - Interesting choice to put it up on your dashboard like that. I assume sealed box going back all the way to the corner?

Audio Banned

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by outernationalist View Post
      Just curious & off topic - How did they go dead?
      More than a couple of reasons......One tweeter initially fell from a good height on a hard surface and I had to cut open the back to resolder one of the joints. I did manage to seal it back and it was working quite well.
      During the Chennai floods, though water never entered the car there was excessive dampness which got caught inside the FG enclosure as I had used namtha pads inside for damping. I had not used the car for close to a fortnight then. But when I did start it, all the drivers in the FG (both the midrange and the tweeter) gave up.
      Since the midranges were not expensive, I got new ones but the HAT was beyond the budget and I settled for the much cheaper Vifa drivers.
      ICE, 4-way active:Now-------RIP-------- Earlier: (Eclipse CD7200mkii Head Unit, Kenwood KOS-300, Two Pioneer GM-X944 amps, Dayton midbass and wideband, Dayton AMT tweeters, Infinity Kappa sub, Ref. MX cables, entec speaker cables)
      Home Audio: Laptop source, TEAC UD301 dual mono DAC, Adcom dual mono amplifier, Infinity bookshelf speakers and Wharfedale subwoofer

Audio Banned

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by outernationalist View Post
      Also - Interesting choice to put it up on your dashboard like that. I assume sealed box going back all the way to the corner
      Yes...these Daytons are raw drivers and the enclosure which is close to 1.8 liters is sealed with a heavy stuffing of polyfill. They do sound amazing and compliment the midbass beautifully. I am not that happy with the Vifa's though.
      ICE, 4-way active:Now-------RIP-------- Earlier: (Eclipse CD7200mkii Head Unit, Kenwood KOS-300, Two Pioneer GM-X944 amps, Dayton midbass and wideband, Dayton AMT tweeters, Infinity Kappa sub, Ref. MX cables, entec speaker cables)
      Home Audio: Laptop source, TEAC UD301 dual mono DAC, Adcom dual mono amplifier, Infinity bookshelf speakers and Wharfedale subwoofer

Awesome

The car has been with the installer for a while and here are pics of the midbass mounted in the door

Name:	IMG_3174.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	218852

Name:	IMG_3175.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	218853

Oh I happened to bump into gkannan sir at the installer when I dropped off my car!

Audio Banned

Awesome

I can see a FG housing...done very nicely indeed....

Awesome

The install is done!

Name:	IMG_3200.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	415.0 KB 
ID:	219133

Name:	IMG_3202.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	280.7 KB 
ID:	219134

Name:	IMG_3203.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	219135

Basic tuning is done. It has good sound stage and the low end extension from the door mid basses are adequate for most music except complex orchestral pieces. However I think I'll hold off critical listening till the drivers break in and I've gotta chance to tune it properly.

Audio Banned

Awesome

Got to see the car after the install though could not listen as I was in a bit of a hurry. Excellent FG work by Speedfreaks on the A Panel and midbass mounting.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information