• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ICE'n the Scorpion

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

You are welcome to audition it anytime!

Awesome

Spent some time tuning the system today, and the first thing I noticed whats how the mid bass cones were distorting at about 3/4th volume. Being wood cones they are not very rigid while this is great for adding warmth to vocals on electronic music they were just looking totally out of shape. A quick and dirty model in WinISD (assuming the punto's door is about 42 liters) revealed that the speakers will exceed their xmax with even 20 watts of power. So ended up adding a 2nd order bessel highpass at 80 hz and immediately stability of the imaging improved at higher volumes. The second thing I noticed is even with all the various types of damping, the doors resonance is quite high at 100 to 125 hz, I need to figure out how to fix this.

In other news the cheap as chips Peerless midranges have unbelievable tonal accuracy I am just amazed.

Looking for ....

Secret

Good and different set of drivers sir ji.. Very much looking forward to audition thr ICE...

Team Speed Freaks have done an excellent job in deed..

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
      Thanks & Regards
      Balavignesh Ramasamy

PIONEER DEX-P99RS | TCHERNOV SPECIAL IC MAKE II | FOCAL K2 POWER 165 KR COMPONENT HIGHS & LOWS | HAT LEGATIA L3 PRO MIDS | GERMAN MAESTRO 10" WIDE-BAND SUB WOOFER BRIAN B4 AMPLIFIER | BRIAN B 80 A VOLTAGE REGULATOR

Audio Banned

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by abarth View Post
      In other news the cheap as chips Peerless midranges have unbelievable tonal accuracy I am just amazed.
      might improve further after the break-in. how are the vifa's.

Regarding the midbass, the car door is not the right environment to play full way down. A sub is quite critical in a car. Try adding a egg crate foam to fill the gap between the metal frame and plastic casing to damp the resonance though it is hard to do away with it completely.

what are your xo points for the drivers? nice to note that the midrange is nice as I was a bit skeptical about it.
      ICE, 4-way active - Eclipse CD7200mkii Head Unit, Ref. MX cables, Kenwood KOS-300, Two Pioneer GM-X944 4-channel amps, Dayton Reference 7 inch midbass, Dayton 4 inch reference midrange and Dayton AMT Tweeters, Infinity Kappa 10 inch subwoofer
      Home Audio, 3-way active - Dune Media Player, Parasound DAC, Behringer 32-band equalizer, DBX 3-way analogue crossover, Dayton Audio 3-way tower speakers.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Balavignesh Ram View Post
      Good and different set of drivers sir ji.. Very much looking forward to audition thr ICE...

Team Speed Freaks have done an excellent job in deed..

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
      Thank you and your welcome to audition it anytime. It'll be good for me to know where it stands amongst the various sq setup people have too.

Quote Originally Posted by gkannan View Post
      might improve further after the break-in. how are the vifa's.

Regarding the midbass, the car door is not the right environment to play full way down. A sub is quite critical in a car. Try adding a egg crate foam to fill the gap between the metal frame and plastic casing to damp the resonance though it is hard to do away with it completely.

what are your xo points for the drivers? nice to note that the midrange is nice as I was a bit skeptical about it.
      I'm guess your talking about the Vifa XT 25 tweeters, I'm not sure what to think of them. They sound really unusual to me, I'm not sure if it's the small flange neo version is the problem or if ring radiators aren't meant for cars as I quite like the big fe magnet version which is used in sonus Faber speakers or maybe they don't like the helix amp. I'll let them break in for a bit before passing final judgement however.

The dome mids may make vocals a bit hollow if they are paired with more accurate sounding midbasses, but my midbasses are anything but accurate. And yep I may try foam or I was thinking randomly adding patches of damping on the door to check if the resonance of the door can be brought lower as 100hz is too high.

Xo points are at 1000 from midbasses to midrange and 4000 from midrange to tweeters

Awesome

Talking

Finally had to cave in and get a sub-woofer. Had to resort to continuously listening to orchestral pieces to justify to myself that i needed a sub lol

After a lot of searching finally managed to get my hands on the TC sounds EPIC subwoofer. Why the TC sounds? Cuz it can achieve a total Q of under .6 with a box of just 23 liters and has a big enough X-Max to not bottom out at its rated power even with such an insane Q. So its light and I don't have to sacrifice my entire boot in the pursuit of absolute SQ.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3288.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	219716

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3289.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	219717

Audio Banned

Awesome

Finally had to cave in and get a sub-woofer.
      Do post some install pics
      ICE, 4-way active - Eclipse CD7200mkii Head Unit, Ref. MX cables, Kenwood KOS-300, Two Pioneer GM-X944 4-channel amps, Dayton Reference 7 inch midbass, Dayton 4 inch reference midrange and Dayton AMT Tweeters, Infinity Kappa 10 inch subwoofer
      Home Audio, 3-way active - Dune Media Player, Parasound DAC, Behringer 32-band equalizer, DBX 3-way analogue crossover, Dayton Audio 3-way tower speakers.

Awesome

Do post some install pics
      I haven't done the install yet GK. Was going to do it sometime back but then had to travel again and I will be relocating to Bangalore in a bit too. So this is going to be a tad delayed.

Audio Banned

Awesome

I haven't done the install yet GK. Was going to do it sometime back but then had to travel again and I will be relocating to Bangalore in a bit too. So this is going to be a tad delayed.
      Let us meet up one of these days when you are free

Awesome

Let us meet up one of these days when you are free
      Sure I'm pm you my mobile number. Actually I just picked the car up from its first service and as the guy was cleaning it his hand lightly tapped the left mid range and it fell of damaging the dome, the rear amp rack hasn't been cut to the proper size this has been causing a lot of strain on the plastic parts in the back. So at this point I am a bit disappointed with the quality of the install.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information