• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Results 1 to 9 of 9

    Thread: Step down transformer suggestion

    1. #1
      not aware that he can set his status here!
       
      Awesome
       

      Join Date
      Apr 2016
      Posts
      7

      Step down transformer suggestion

      HI i have griot garage 6" random orbital polisher from USA .but i need to use this on india .if i want to use this on india ,i need to use any voltage convertor ??? Like step down transformer from 220v to 110v correct???if i use step down transformer it will reduce/damage the polisher????

    2. #2
      not aware that he can set his status here!
       
      Awesome
       

      Join Date
      Apr 2016
      Location
      Chennai
      Posts
      21
      I would suggest you contact the manufacturer. It's not just the voltage that differs but also the frequency. Our AC supply is 50 hz while in the US is 60hz, your polisher will run slower here.

    3. #3
      Hondameister
      Formerly IITK
       
      Awesome
       
      sgiitk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2010
      Location
      Kanpur
      Posts
      3,737
      Let me add to abarth; This being almost certainly induction motor based, will run slower as pointed out by him. You can happily use the inexpensive voltage adapters/converters which are solid state devices. However, for extended running it will also draw a higher current, and may even need a 95V power supply which will have to be a custom transformer. However, looking at the system I expect a voltage adapter should do, unless you feel it getting too hot. Of course I am assuming there is no sophisticated electronics in the unit, else a transformer may be the only safe way.
      Drive carefully, the life you save may be your own.
      Honda Civic V AT (2010), Honda Brio V AT 2012
      Hyundai Accent GLS, 2003; Hyundai Santro AT (2005)

    4. #4
      not aware that he can set his status here!
       
      Awesome
       

      Join Date
      Apr 2016
      Posts
      7
      Quote Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
      Let me add to abarth; This being almost certainly induction motor based, will run slower as pointed out by him. You can happily use the inexpensive voltage adapters/converters which are solid state devices. However, for extended running it will also draw a higher current, and may even need a 95V power supply which will have to be a custom transformer. However, looking at the system I expect a voltage adapter should do, unless you feel it getting too hot. Of course I am assuming there is no sophisticated electronics in the unit, else a transformer may be the only safe way.
      I cant understood clearly sir.plz can u explained briefly plz.im new to here

    5. #5
      Hondameister
      Formerly IITK
       
      Awesome
       
      sgiitk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2010
      Location
      Kanpur
      Posts
      3,737
      Rifay; Let me clarify.

      1. The cheapest is an inexpensive converter. This cuts off part of the waveform and gives you effectively 110V. The pluses - cheap, light. Works in 95% cases. But there are some which work on the peak voltage, and these can get into trouble.
      2. Transformers: Safest costly and bulky.
      3. 95V See as you are on 50Hz and not 60Hz an induction motor draws more current. If you plant to run the device for hours on end, then you need something like 95V to prevent overheating. I once had a US origin refrigerator and had to get a custom transformer made. So if you are not planning to run it for hours on end continuously forget this bit as well.
      Drive carefully, the life you save may be your own.
      Honda Civic V AT (2010), Honda Brio V AT 2012
      Hyundai Accent GLS, 2003; Hyundai Santro AT (2005)

    6. #6
      not aware that he can set his status here!
       
      Awesome
       

      Join Date
      Apr 2016
      Posts
      7
      Quote Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
      Rifay; Let me clarify.

      1. The cheapest is an inexpensive converter. This cuts off part of the waveform and gives you effectively 110V. The pluses - cheap, light. Works in 95% cases. But there are some which work on the peak voltage, and these can get into trouble.
      2. Transformers: Safest costly and bulky.
      3. 95V See as you are on 50Hz and not 60Hz an induction motor draws more current. If you plant to run the device for hours on end, then you need something like 95V to prevent overheating. I once had a US origin refrigerator and had to get a custom transformer made. So if you are not planning to run it for hours on end continuously forget this bit as well.
      What is 95V??

    7. #7
      not aware that he can set his status here!
       
      Awesome
       

      Join Date
      Apr 2016
      Posts
      7
      Quote Originally Posted by Rifay View Post
      What is 95V??
      I alreay bought isolated toroidal transformer .cost is 8100RS

    8. #8
      Hondameister
      Formerly IITK
       
      Awesome
       
      sgiitk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2010
      Location
      Kanpur
      Posts
      3,737
      Quote Originally Posted by Rifay View Post
      I already bought isolated toroidal transformer .cost is 8100RS
      Excellent choice. As log as the device does not overheat you are Ok. It will get a bit warmer than in the US but that is normal. Incidentally where did you get the transformer from. Rating?
      Last edited by sgiitk; 13th May 2016 at 09:25.
      Drive carefully, the life you save may be your own.
      Honda Civic V AT (2010), Honda Brio V AT 2012
      Hyundai Accent GLS, 2003; Hyundai Santro AT (2005)

    9. #9
      not aware that he can set his status here!
       
      Awesome
       

      Join Date
      Apr 2016
      Posts
      7
      Quote Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
      Exce3llent choice. As log as the device does not overheat you are Ok. It will get a bit warmer than in the US but that is normal. Incidentally where did you get the transformer from. Rating?
      I got it from chennai.brand is maxine ,2000watts

    Thread Information

    Users Browsing this Thread

    There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 81
      Last Post: 28th Dec 2013, 14:35
    2. Side step upgrade for Safari Dicor
      By Safarimaster in forum Safari/Storme
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 23rd Dec 2013, 02:15
    3. Recommended products for 5 step process.
      By W12 in forum Detailing Doubts
      Replies: 22
      Last Post: 27th Nov 2013, 16:31
    4. 3 step doors .. I hate them
      By kvk in forum Bodywork & Interiors
      Replies: 17
      Last Post: 3rd Sep 2010, 17:49

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •