I am currently in the market looking for a replacement for my current Figo diesel. My requirement is as follows:
1. Car is mostly used on the highways. City runs are quite limited.
2. Budget is 7.5 lacs ex-showroom.
3. Monthly running is about 1000 KM.
4. Should be spacious enough to accommodate 4 six footers comfortably.
5. Good boot space.
6. Good resale value as it will be sold after 45 months.
With that, I did not decide if to get a petrol or a diesel car. I wanted to drive all that is available in the market and pick one.
The following were my options:
1. Swift Diesel - Rule out due to lack of boot space.
2. Ritz Diesel - Ruled out due to lack of boot space.
3. Polo Diesel - Loved the car but felt cramped on the inside when driving (I am 6' 2"). So ruled out.
4. Polo Petrol - Did not test drive due the same space constraint.
5. Punto - Felt it is very dated. So ruled out.
6. Hyundai - Ruled out due to the vague steering.
7. Figo Diesel - Absolute gem. Loved it. In every way it has improved over the Figo I have.
8. Jazz Petrol - Loved the space it offers. A Honda VTECH is a little bit of an aspirational thing for me. The magic seats are a bonus.
9. Tata Bolt - Should I consider this? I haven't been to the showroom yet.
So it is between the Figo Diesel and Jazz Petrol. Here is the comparison I did.
Cost 7.09 L for the Titanium 7.7 L for the VX Space X Power X Aspiration Value X (VTEC) Cost of running X Interiors X Features X Resale Important but unknown Important but unknown
So after this, I thought it would be an easy decision to go for the Jazz. But I am not finding too many Jazzes on the road as much. Nor does it seem to sell in good numbers (< 1000 a month). That brings me to the question, 'With a budget of 7.5 L ex-showroom and the above requirements, which car would someone buy other than Jazz?' . I ask this so that I don't overlook any other car. Do the buyers in this range up the budget and go for something that offers much more for a 'few dollars more' or reduce the budget and stick to some proven options? Answers are appreciated!
EDIT: My requirements in a more objective manner after some thought
1. Space enough to accommodate 4 six footers.
2. ABS and Airbags
3. Good resale value
4. Boot space of 250 litres or more
5. Budget 7.5 lacs ex-showroom at max
6. Require the car in the next 2 to 3 months maximum.
The priority is also of the same order.
What is the car that fits the above bill? What is the one that is most VFM in this category?
I have Jazz in mind. If I don't find any other option I will go for it.