• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Global NCAP - ZERO STARS for Indian Cars in 2016 Crash Tests.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
      And the Ecosport had to put 150+ parts in the structure alone just to pass the European crash tests. I think the 'perception' influences the purchasing decision of most buyers more than anything else. You will buy what you like, and you will also be able to find appropriate logic to defend your buying decision. Thats all.
      Umm no, I trust companies with a global reputation over those with barely any global presence especially since our norms are not as strict as most countries and being an export hub , in fact 4th largest in the world, Id always buy a vehicle thats international spec especially since the vehicle sold here is the same thats exported to those countries and generally India gets these vehicles much later meaning its already got its niggles ironed out and is a proven purchase

Sorry but not sorry, this perception is something based on facts
      Else who in their right mind wouldnt like to save a few lakhs

Heck Im the same person who purchases Xiaomi products over Samsung etc so nothing to do with "perception" here at all

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by coolash View Post
      The images that clears up the heavy sheet metal vs thin sheet metal vis a vis safe are these:
      When talking about thickness of sheet metal contributing towards safety (of the occupants of the car), we can not use two different cars. We can say that a Swift with thicker sheet metal would be more safe as compared to a Swift with thin metal sheet, or a VW Polo with thin metal sheet would be lesser safe as compared to a regular thick sheet Polo. You can't compare across different cars as there is lot more than just the sheet metal thickness that adds to safety.

Also, weight does matter a lot. THe safetry rating is for accident between vehicles of similar weight. In case of accident between 800 kg 4 star Swift and 1200 kg Polo 4 star Polo, result would be very predictable. Weight does matter, and so does the sheet metal thickness for safety, but there is much more than just the sheet metal (and weight).

So thin metal sheet is maybe good as it crumples, instead of bending.
      Thin sheep metal would just crumble, also crumbling the occupants in its crumbling passenger cabin. One doesn't need a crumbling cabin, but crumbling parts should be away from passenger cabin to absorb energy of the impact, basically at front or at the back of the car. And at the same time you need to keep the other vehicle from intruding into passenger cabin. Have you seen the bumper of swift (not the plastic bumper cover, but the real bumper which sits behind the bumper cover), it is just a half inch pipe. I wonder what purpose that thin pipe serve. In well built cars (read European and some home grown cars), it would be a 2-3 inch thick metal plate instead.

Awesome

The images that clears up the heavy sheet metal vs thin sheet metal vis a vis safe are these:

Attachment 232333

This image explains a lot about which parts of the body were hit most and the extent of hit. For e.g. in the above image driver head took a lot of damage (if I can identify the color correctly). Even in case of zero rated cars there is sometimes big variation in this image. Take a look at scorpio image.

Attachment 232334

And do remember scorpio is a thick metal sheet vehicle, but the thickness is the bane as instead of collapsing at multiple points, it just bends at one single point and destroys the whole cabin. So thin metal sheet is maybe good as it crumples, instead of bending.
      Agreed however both have relatively thick sheet metal
      Yet both dont match up to say Creta's crash test ratings

But yes, the thick sheet metal myth is utterly baseless

Engineers are not fools , they have proper drawing design and research in place
      Hence why there are equal number of 5 star NCAP rating cars with thin and thick sheet metal

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by kkn13 View Post
      Umm If you research more on that front , Koreans and Japanese car makers started out initially by copying other reputed car makers akin to what Chinese car makers
      I dont agree that the first Japanese cars were copies. I am old enough to have driven the Toyota Publica, Datsun Bluebird and the Borgward. A neighbour of mine even had a Gogomobile.
      While the British car makers were laughing at Japanese cars, they did not look at the buyers who finally got car without a starting handle that started everytime.
      Motorcycles with indicators was used as a joke and before they stopped laughing, they quietly burried the British motorcycle industry creating the standard for motorcycles.
      Japanese cars were not copies like Chinese cars today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Indian View Post
      I dont agree that the first Japanese cars were copies. I am old enough to have driven the Toyota Publica, Datsun Bluebird and the Borgward. A neighbour of mine even had a Gogomobile.
      While the British car makers were laughing at Japanese cars, they did not look at the buyers who finally got car without a starting handle that started everytime.
      Motorcycles with indicators was used as a joke and before they stopped laughing, they quietly burried the British motorcycle industry creating the standard for motorcycles.
      Japanese cars were not copies like Chinese cars today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Yes they were copies albeit for a shorter frame of time....
      Is it true that Japanese car companies copied American and European cars? - Quora

Anyways I trust NCAP on the safety front, on reliability front , the Japanese remain untouched
      Most Germans scare me after even 3 years of ownership whereas I had no qualms keeping my City or CRV for 9 long years
      Sold my Superb within 4 years as Ive done with my other non-Asian cars especially since it threw up more tantrums than any of my other cars despite having a much lesser odometer reading

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by kkn13 View Post
      Yes they were copies albeit for a shorter frame of time....
      Is it true that Japanese car companies copied American and European cars? - Quora

Anyways I trust NCAP on the safety front, on reliability front , the Japanese remain untouched
      Most Germans scare me after even 3 years of ownership
      My German car is now 16 years old and I am 3000 km away from home.
      It does not scare me just checking the oil level and tyre pressure and driving on long trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Indian View Post
      My German car is now 16 years old and I am 3000 km away from home.
      It does not scare me just checking the oil level and tyre pressure and driving on long trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Well those are the good old Germans, the ones that were less complicated and less engineered !! And you sir, seem very particular on maintenance and passionate about your vehicle, Ive seen your thread and that VW is a beaut , soo immaculate
      Dont get me wrong but the newer Germans have too many overengineered designs and complications . Not to mention the steep costs of parts
      Thats why cars such as the legendary W124 are popular on our roads even now but Ive owned cars such as the Skoda Superb and in my 4 years of ownership and barely any kms on the odometer, it has shocked me too many times with its bills and unreliability . People even suggest W124 over even 1-2 gens of Mercs newer than it simply for reliability even though parts are tougher to find for W124
      Even my sister in laws Polo GT was sold within 3 years for a Baleno CVT, now soon to be replaced by Jazz CVT

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

Up and Running

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
      Maruti Vitara Breza scores 4 star in Indian GNCAP crash tests whereas Renault Lodgy fails miserably.
      Anything without airbag scores 0 i think.
      Running away from your problem is a race you will never win
      My Vision through Camera :- https://www.facebook.com/VisionThroughCamera

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by matbhuvi View Post
      Anything without airbag scores 0 i think.
      Yes, but please watch the crash test video and see how the structure collapses. Even airbags not gonna help here.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread Information