• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • View Poll Results: Will you buy a car for your teenager ?, by when ?

Voters
    17. You may not vote on this poll
    • this year

0 0%
    • in next 1-2 years

1 5.88%
    • in next 3-5 years

3 17.65%
    • in next decade or hence

7 41.18%
    • never in near future

6 35.29%
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Consumer Opinion : Will you buy your teenage daughter or son a car ?, if yes by when

No Commerce, Just Fun
      New Year 2017

Secret

Consumer Opinion : Will you buy your teenage daughter or son a car ?, if yes by when

I was watching movie "transformers", where a high school going kid demands a car of his own from his father and he gets his yellow car which later turns out to be a transforming entity.

Will we Indians, ever buy our teenage daughter or son their own car ? Will you do it for your kid ?

if yes, in how may years hence you will see this trend ? (select the poll option)

If Yes, which car you will buy ? (state in your comment)

if no, why ? (state in your comment)

The POLL question is towards you (who ever is the reader) as individual. It is a personal question to somewhat extent.
      e.g. for me, my daughter is 14, so legally she can start driving a car at 18,

(1) so in all probability i can buy her a car in next 4 years.
      (2) But i may not buy her a car in 4 years, and may decide she needs to be at least 21 before driving (may be in next decade)
      (3) I may also decide to never buy her a car and want her to buy her own car with her own money.

the POLL seeks to get the answer in a such a way.

Background:

We are providing them bicycles
      We are providing PCs to our kids already
      We are letting them have their own smart phone as well
      We are letting them travel on their own to adventure camps, school trips etc
      We also put them in boarding schools and let them learn/manage on their own in some cases
      We are letting them buy own laptops in junior colleges
      We also let them use/buy their own bike or scooter as well in some cases.

I am sure this will evolve to cars in future....

PS: Teenage = 18+ , which is the official age for getting drivers license. Assume that there is a need, (affordability is a matter of accommodating priorities) and of course like anyone the teenager in question will learn to drive just like you and me learnt and getting license is just a routine thing.
      Last edited by Nomad; 25th Jun 2016 at 21:27.

Global Moderator
      At wits end with Safari's
      auto-correct!

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
      Will we Indians, ever buy our teenage daughter or son their own car ? Will you do it for your kid ?
      When they join college, and if I can afford it - yes. Will depend on need - do they need one. I don't want them to ride around on a bike.... too bloody dangerous these days!

Will also depend on whether they can drive well - to my satisfaction, and have a driving license etc.
      A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Global Moderator
      auto-correct!

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Assume that there is a need, (affordability is a matter of accommodating priorities) and of course like anyone the teenager in question will learn to drive just like you and me learnt and getting license is just a routine thing
      Safety is paramount - so when I am convinced she (my daughter) has the gumption to handle herself responsibly on the road, then yes she can have her own car. Will be a used one for the first year.

Hun 2die4

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Depends on what they ask for!
      My kid goes to a school that has all kinds of richie rich' kids. If tomorrow he turn 18 'suddenly' and asks me a Merc, which I cant afford, then No. But a humble Tata Tiago then Yes!
      If his friends are driving high end cars, then he wont ask for it anyways! Like what he does for vacations. His friends go outside India and we settle for Coorg's and the Goa's.

Hun 2die4

Awesome

Blog Entries
      My option is not in the Poll.
      Whenever he asks for! (Provided he is above 18, and I can afford that car!)

reclaiming my life!

Awesome

I am single hence cant comment on the same but if I had a son/daughter I would buy them either a car or bike based on situation. If the distance is they commute is less than 30 km to and fro a bike would be suffice and that too on condition of 'all the safety gear all the time' and no non-sense and stupid stuff while on being bike (boys especially, if my boy wants to race take it to race track not on public road). The way today's teenagers behave on bike gives me jitters, sometimes I am compelled to whoop a kid when I see him doing hooliganism on bike, so safety and sense of riding first. During the rainy season or for longer commutes (to and fro 60-70 kms) they can have car that too the one that's moderately powered on the lines of tata nano (should have passed my personal driving test+RTO's driving test ). For outstation trips hire a driver and car period. I may sound harsh but I have seen way too many accidents due to negligence and improper riding/driving. If i gave them tata nano they are bound to drive it sanely knowing the car as such cant do much and rented car and driver for outstation trips cause rented driver wont let them drive since the car belongs to him keeping the kids in control. I may sound harsh but kids these days are taking things for granted and its better to have them under control.

Regards,
      hawx

Global Moderator
      auto-correct!

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Also please respond to the POLL
      None of the options apply to me. (In fact you may have to rethink the options entirely.)

My kids are only 11 and 13 right now. Hence I have opted for option 4 (next decade or so) purely for arithmetic reasons.

On the lookout for more 4
      wheel victims.

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
      I don't want them to ride around on a bike.... too bloody dangerous these days
      Yes, just for that reason. And yes, Nomad, the poll options are kind of wrong for me. Kids not yet 18, and when they do, will get them a car. Not a function of years after they turn 18, but they have to be of legal driving age.
      In pursuit of happiness, and happiness drives very fast.

No Commerce, Just Fun
      New Year 2017

Secret

My Own Response:

Yes, I see that this trend will come, where teenagers will drive their own cars. I am already seeing this trend among some of my friends, whose children are studying their engineering or medicine or architecture courses, they drive their own cars to/fro their college. i see this trend more in case of teenager daughter, where as the boy prefers bike .

i think, i might buy a car for the teenager at home in next 5 years or so, as i see bikes as unsafe. I will of-course train her in a driving school, then on an older car and once she is comfortable, and confident of driving, let her drive on her own.

Awesome

Have a son of 8 years and daughter of 3. Will get them a car if needed. No bike or scooter for safety reasons. It will be an entry level or mid level car. Not a high end car even if I can afford at that point of time.
      --------------------------------------------
      2002 Hero Honda CBZ
      2004 Maruti Alto Lx
      2011 Tata Indica Vista Aqua
      2015 Tata Safari Storme Vx 4x4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information